Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Math 7

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post

As for Jessica's Leibnitz quote, I love it. But I was always puzzled at it, too, because I always had to count like a madwoman to get things to come out right, and it was far from pleasurable...
    I took it to mean as a listener, not the musician playing.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Confession: Cindy gave me her R& S Math 7 lesson plans months ago, and they are sitting untouched on my desk. So, once again, the buck stops on my desk, which is swimming with unfinished projects. I will move this to the front and hope to have them done and ready for sale in the next couple of weeks.

And, Cindy, I appreciate your not calling me out. You were so gentle with your little "We'll let Tanya chime in ..." comment!

Tanya
      Good morning, Tanya!

I know you must be eyeball deep in projects and convention season..just wondering if you’ve had a chance to finish up the Math 7 plans?

Thanks!
      Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
      DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
      DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
      DD 9: 4th using 3A
      Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

As a possible alternative, I have used Lial's Basic College Mathematics over 2 years instead of a traditional pre-algebra course. It did a great job of finding any holes in my sons' arithmetic skills. It is a remedial junior college math text. My oldest son took the full two years to get through the entire book. Son #2 will finish up a bit sooner and we will go straight into algebra 1 when he does.

Kelly

Comment

Katie,

I've been working on it this week, but I'm not going to finish. I have to go work the Cincinnati convention tomorrow. But I'll be in town next Mon.-Thurs., so I hope to finish it up!

Keep pestering me!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Katie,

I've been working on it this week, but I'm not going to finish. I have to go work the Cincinnati convention tomorrow. But I'll be in town next Mon.-Thurs., so I hope to finish it up!

Keep pestering me!

Tanya
            Thanks, Tanya. No problem. I’ll pester again in a couple of weeks. Happy Travels!
            Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP

Comment

Originally posted by generalsparky View Post
              As a possible alternative, I have used Lial's Basic College Mathematics over 2 years instead of a traditional pre-algebra course. It did a great job of finding any holes in my sons' arithmetic skills. It is a remedial junior college math text. My oldest son took the full two years to get through the entire book. Son #2 will finish up a bit sooner and we will go straight into algebra 1 when he does.

Kelly
              Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly keep Lial’s in mind. My daughter has used R&S since book 3 and is very comfortable with it, so we’ll stick with that next year but may revisit Lials for Pre-Algebra!
              Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
                Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly keep Lial’s in mind. My daughter has used R&S since book 3 and is very comfortable with it, so we’ll stick with that next year but may revisit Lials for Pre-Algebra!
                Kelly and Katie -

I switched my dd13 from COTR to the Lial text for Pre-Algebra. It's like night and day for her. At first I thought she might be sailing through Lial because the first few weeks were all a review of what she'd done in COTR; however, now that we're in New Mathematical Territory, she continues to do well. In her words, "It just makes more sense. This book explains things better than the other one [COTR]".

When looking closely at the texts, Lial does seem a bit more like R&S in the way things are explained. The examples are usually tied in to real-life situations, which she really needs in order to cement concepts. If your child seems otherwise ready for Pre-Algebra and COTR isn't cutting it, Lial may be worth a look.

**I am not a math expert! I have no issue with COTR and may well use it with my math-minded middle guy. This is just an issue of one child needing something a bit different than COTR.**
                Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I + Latin IV
                DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science
                DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                  Kelly and Katie -

I switched my dd13 from COTR to the Lial text for Pre-Algebra. It's like night and day for her. At first I thought she might be sailing through Lial because the first few weeks were all a review of what she'd done in COTR; however, now that we're in New Mathematical Territory, she continues to do well. In her words, "It just makes more sense. This book explains things better than the other one [COTR]".

When looking closely at the texts, Lial does seem a bit more like R&S in the way things are explained. The examples are usually tied in to real-life situations, which she really needs in order to cement concepts. If your child seems otherwise ready for Pre-Algebra and COTR isn't cutting it, Lial may be worth a look.

**I am not a math expert! I have no issue with COTR and may well use it with my math-minded middle guy. This is just an issue of one child needing something a bit different than COTR.**
                  My oldest is doing Lial's Intermediate Algebra now for algebra 2. Life has been a bit of a mess so he's behind but working on catching up! Anyway, he is what I would call a slightly above average kid, not gifted or brilliant. But he walked into the PSAT in October not having quite finished Lial's Introductory Algebra for algebra 1 and scored in the 91st percentile! Lial's does such a great explanations and there is so much mastery involved. It is how the program is designed. I read the intro to the Basic College Math book and it talks about dendrites and how we learn. It made so much sense to me! And sold me on using the books instead of traditional textbooks :-)

I have always used the 1994 edition of Modern Curriculum Press. It is very similar to Rod and Staff. If I didn't already have enough workbooks hoarded away to even get my 4yo through the series (k-6), I would switch to Rod and Staff. Mastery works!

Kelly

Comment

We are Lial fans in our house too. My oldest is getting ready for the SAT in a couple weeks...so far so good on the practice exams. If she can keep her cool (which she should - like her dad, that one!) we are hopeful she will do well.

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                    DS, 16
                    DD, 14
                    DD, 12
                    DD, 10
                    DD, 7.5
                    DD, 5.5
                    +DS+
                    DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by generalsparky View Post
                      My oldest is doing Lial's Intermediate Algebra now for algebra 2. Life has been a bit of a mess so he's behind but working on catching up! Anyway, he is what I would call a slightly above average kid, not gifted or brilliant. But he walked into the PSAT in October not having quite finished Lial's Introductory Algebra for algebra 1 and scored in the 91st percentile! Lial's does such a great explanations and there is so much mastery involved. It is how the program is designed. I read the intro to the Basic College Math book and it talks about dendrites and how we learn. It made so much sense to me! And sold me on using the books instead of traditional textbooks :-)

I have always used the 1994 edition of Modern Curriculum Press. It is very similar to Rod and Staff. If I didn't already have enough workbooks hoarded away to even get my 4yo through the series (k-6), I would switch to Rod and Staff. Mastery works!

Kelly
                      Good morning, Kelly!

Just wondering which edition of the Lial's texts your children use? Or does it make a difference?
                      Thanks!
                      Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
                        Good morning, Kelly!

Just wondering which edition of the Lial's texts your children use? Or does it make a difference?
                        Thanks!
                        There's not usually a big difference in the editions-mainly cover changes. However, I did notice that there was a noticeable difference between the 9th and 10th editions of Intermediate Algebra. I had picked up a solutions manual for the 9th edition super cheap and it didn't line up enough with the 10th to be usable.

Basic College Mathematics-8th edition
                        Introductory Algebra-8th edition
                        Intermediate Algebra-10th edition

Basically I used whatever edition that I could easily find an annotated instructor's manual. You could get away with just the student book and student solutions manual. But I only assign odds to save the evens for additional practice. The student solutions manual only gives the answers to the odds. The AI manual is the student book with the answers given for all problems. And BCM is the only book I allow them to write their answers in so I have hoarded several copies of it. Once we have started into Introductory Algebra (algebra 1), we use grid composition notebooks and Frixion pens for work.

A few years ago I combed the threads at the WTM forums and copy/pasted a bunch of Lial's info because there is a lady there (Jann in TX) who uses the Lial's texts in online classes. I would be happy to email it to you if you shoot me an email: capsela at gmail dot com

Hope that helps!

Kelly
                        Last edited by generalsparky; 04-14-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

And if you go with Lial's you will want the soft cover "Developmental" series. The layout is more user friendly with the practice problems in the sidebar. It is an oversized paperback. I couldn't find an affordable copy for Intermediate Algebra so I bought the a la cart edition which is the Developmental edition 3 hole punched and not bound. I put half of it in a 3-ring binder and when he finishes it, I will take it out and put in 2nd half.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                          X