replied
    Re: Novare Earth Science

Thanks for the input, Cindy!

Leave a comment:

• Cindy in Indy
    replied

Jodi,
    I think you can easily use the Novare Earth Science book. The book is well-written and has great content. Because you are teaching your own children, you can omit or discuss information that you disagree with or that you want your children to see another way. In a school or online class, it may be appropriate to omit some chapters/sections to accommodate and respect the views of different families.

Leave a comment:

• JodiSue
    replied

I'm not seeing a class called MS Science III listed in the MPOA. Rachel is in the MS Science II class this year, using the Tiner books for Bio, Chem, and Phys. I actually emailed Cindy to get a personalized recommendation for her path going forward with math and science.
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Maybe the class was renamed by MPOA? They do teach Earth Science, but that is also the name of the class.
    Yes, sorry, I was clicking through MS I & II to see the content, then found Earth Science, and when I went to type it here out my brain said III even though the class is called Earth Science. Also probably doesn't help that I was trying to administer a spelling test at the same time. :/

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    I'm not seeing a class called MS Science III listed in the MPOA.
    Maybe the class was renamed by MPOA? They do teach Earth Science, but that is also the name of the class.

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post

I noticed that in the MPOA middle school science III course that uses this text, some chapters are omitted because of controversial topics. I am assuming I could use that as a guide to structure our lessons at home to what I'm probably looking for? I am not entirely opposed to buying the book and reading it to see how I could make it work, but I also don't want to do that if someone already has the skinny that it would not work for us.
    I'm not seeing a class called MS Science III listed in the MPOA. Rachel is in the MS Science II class this year, using the Tiner books for Bio, Chem, and Phys. I actually emailed Cindy to get a personalized recommendation for her path going forward with math and science.

Leave a comment:

• JodiSue
    replied

Can I resurrect this thread as someone who will have a very math-y, science-y 7th grader next year? Reading through it has been really, really helpful.

I hope this subject is not too touchy, but we are YE creationists. I am not trying to shelter my kiddos from the prevailing scientific view that the earth is millions of years old (quite the contrary!), but I'm also not trying to study that idea from a Biblical perspective either, if that makes sense. But we are also not the variety of YEC who believe one can calculate the age of the earth from geneologies in the Bible, so there are a lot of camps we don't fit in. :/

Would we be able to use the Novare Earth Science book, or would I drive myself nuts trying to omit and reteach stuff? Looking at the table of contents it seems like there are certain chapters I could just skip or substitute, but I'm not sure if the underlying presumptions about earth's age would be too embedded throughout the text to do that. I noticed that in the MPOA Earth Science course that uses this text, some chapters are omitted because of controversial topics. I am assuming I could use that as a guide to structure our lessons at home to what I'm probably looking for? I am not entirely opposed to buying the book and reading it to see how I could make it work, but I also don't want to do that if someone already has the skinny that it would not work for us.

Thanks for any ideas you might have!

ETA: I have seen BJU mentioned in other places as an option for at YE earth science book, but I'm not sure it would work in our homeschool for other reasons. Does anyone have an unlimited pot of money and time so that I could buy both texts and read them to figure out which would work best?
    Last edited by JodiSue; 11-02-2018, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Re: q

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
    We do all the math in Physical Science, and we relish it! We do Physical Science in 8th grade, so all the students are taking either pre-algebra or algebra. When we get to the density equation, D = m/V, I show the algebra students how to solve for V, but I let the pre-algebra students put both versions on a flashcard: D = m/V ; V = m/D to be memorized.
    I have to tell you thank you, Cindy, for a HUGE laugh.

I read the phrase above as .......
    When we get to the dentistry equation .....

And I thought to myself, "What in the WORLD does dentistry have to do with Physical Science?"

Obviously, I shouldn't be reading forums late in the evening.

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
    It makes sense...
    Technically, it doesn’t. Pianos falling from thin air is well within the camp of Theoretical Physics. You can’t get that at HLS (You might refer to the current thread on “Math 7” to see if you have enough street cred to make it to TPh. See? It’s all a circle...)

Okay — can’t ignore my children any longer. Back to work.

Leave a comment:

• Girlnumber20
    replied

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Actually, I believe we just bought some pianos for HLS Louisville, so maybe that's what they are for!

Tanya
    It makes sense...

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Actually, I believe we just bought some pianos for HLS Louisville, so maybe that's what they are for!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Girlnumber20
    replied

But what is the ratio of pianos that have fallen on the heads of Louisville HLS students, compared to HLS Indy students who have taken Earth Science?

(In all seriousness, thanks for those answers- I'll have to give this some thought.)

Leave a comment:

• Cindy in Indy
    replied

Will bad things happen to us if we do the standard sequence, but have skipped Earth Science?
    Hi Maria,
    If it makes you feel better, at HLS Louisville (aka the mothership), they do not do Earth Science. Nothing bad has happened to them, as far as I know (wink). Every school (and homeschool) has to make choices about what is most important, because no one can do *everything*. We knew that our families wanted an "official" science in 7th grade, so we chose Novare Earth Science. Previously, we did Tiner's Planet Earth, Tiner's Astronomy, and MP Geography in 7th grade. But Novare Earth Science offers more content than the Tiner books, so we substituted that book when it became available.

The key to high school science is reading ability and math skills. Keep your focus on those skills.

edited to add "typing at the same time as Tanya!" (waves)

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

I should have said "HLS Louisville." Cindy is doing it at HLS Indianapolis.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Hello.

We never do Earth Science at HLS, just because we can't fit it in ...

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Jen (formerly) in Japan
    replied

Will bad things happen to us if we do the standard sequence, but have skipped Earth Science?

Of course, nothing will "happen", but you can see that the upper level science studies don't often make room for the topics of earth science, especially in the general sense. I feel like the earth science topics get placed in middle school so that a student will have a familiarity with them (weather, tectonics, oceanography, rocks, etc), but won't spend valuable high school years on those topics again.

Over the years of comparison for upper level science textbooks, physical science seems to be a created term to imply a year of non-biological science study, so it can mean different things to different publishers. I have seen physical science texts which cover earth science/physics or physics/chemistry. I suppose you could find one of the former books for your middle schooler to study before the semi-formalized high school sequence of Physics (non-calc), Bio, Chem. The point of the middle school "physical science" seems to be to ramp up the PHYSICS study in 9th grade, while hitting important topics like significant figures, often seen in chemistry.

Cindy will certainly have something to add to this.

Jen

Leave a comment:

Working...
X