Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augmented Reality Sandbox

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Because I failed to ask my previous questions (noted above) our cottage school is doing the ENTIRE book, math and all. It's been excellent for the 8th graders who are very solid on math but more of a challenge for some of the seventh graders. My oldest boy has loved it. We actually took a field trip to Middle Tennessee State University's Earth Experience Museum and they had an augmented reality sandbox. If you haven't seen this, you have to check it out! We had a bunch of middle school boys we couldn't tear away from this sandbox!

https://youtu.be/CE1B7tdGCw0

And a tutorial on how to build one: https://youtu.be/YLYO0YhY83w (full disclosure, not cheap)
    I guess I assumed that a middle school level textbook had middle school level math. We are only in chapter 5, but my son has done all right with the assignments. We did the first map assignment together (largely because it interested me), and he needed a bit of assistance to get the rock identification chart into his lab notebook. Does the math get harder than slope?

We might have to have a field trip on our next trip to Mississippi. The sandbox sounds awesome.
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Re: Novare Earth Science

Cindy,

You didn't give me Earth Science lesson plans, right? That's not something sitting forgotten on my desk?

Tanya

Comment

(I'm the "science mom" for the one-day-per-week mini-cottage/co-op with Jen1134).

I have found that the "materials by week" file on the CD is the easiest way to find what I'm looking for. I printed out the suggested lesson plan schedule from the cd and am trying to follow that each week. It lists the quiz (numbering doesn't match the week because there wasn't a quiz the first week of each semester) and review guide (numbering also a week+ behind) that should be handed out. However, I find this too clunky to have the kids track, so I make a weekly guide that combines the Review Guide and the weekly reading assignments. I also try to preview the quiz and give general review "hints" within this guide. We also do the experiments (love them!!) during our co-op day so that takes up the discussion time for that week. These guides are kind of a work in progress and I think I'll tweak them a bit based on the discussions here.

*the lesson plan seems to be the key to keeping all of the guides and answer keys straight. On the CD, it is in the 'Lesson list and schedule' file, the word document: ES Lesson List. Know where you are on this and you can go to the 'materials by week' folder to find everything he has scheduled that week. His numbering system is different for the various resources and he numbered weeks where their school didn't meet, started over at the semester break, etc....just follow the lesson schedule and be grateful for MP!!*

The most complicated math so far (Ch 9) is the gradient and % slope. One experiment (weathering) does require math but it is straight forward. We have postponed the stream table experiment til the spring...

so I'm trying to make this book...which I do love...work but think I will enjoy it more next round when this part of the process has already been hashed out once...

and I'm praying the Intro to Physics lessons will be a little easier....or at least not harder....
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Hahcook; 02-02-2018, 01:22 PM.
        Regards,
        Hollie

2019-20:
        1-day/week co-op using MP materials
        DD & DS - 10th: MPOA: 4FL, HS Comp II; MP streaming Biology; VideoText Algebra; 10th Lit, Light to the Nations II
        DS - 7th, VideoText Algebra, MPOA: 2FL, Chreia/Maxim-Ref/Con
        DD - 7th, CHREIA/Maxim, MPOA: 2FL
        DD - 6A, 6th Lit.
        DD - 3A
        DS - 4yrs - pre-school/JrK when he will sit still
        Using MP complete since 2016-17; bits and pieces for many years previous

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
          Hi Jen,
          I do not teach Earth Science, but I have taught Physical Science and that may be similar. I think your 4-step plan: Prepare, Read, Reflection, Review sounds good. I might replace "Reflection" with "Write", because in my experience 7th grade boys are not long on reflection, but can do a specific activity, such as "write".

Under "Write" I would have them write out the answers to the learning check questions in that day's reading. After they finish the chapter, I would have them write out the answers to the objectives. If their teacher omits some topics, they don't have to answer those objectives. (At our school, we meet twice a week and do not cover all the content in Earth Science text.)
          Under "Review", I would have them work through the weekly review guide, self-quizzing, reviewing old quizzes and flashcards.

When they get a poor score on the quiz, I would have them go back and fill in acceptable (correct) answers to the quiz questions. Because the quizzes are cumulative, they will need to know those answers again on future quizzes.

Regarding "getting them to do it", remember this is a process; they are growing in their study skills and ability to learn and retain. Earth Science may not be the highest priority (math, Latin, composition might be more important), and (in my opinion) it is ok to have a subject where they are "growing", even if they are not completely successful. I would set a time limit each day (30 minutes?) where they work on the above plan. (4 days per week). Ask them about what they are learning. They should be able to tell you about rocks, weather, tides, tectonic plates, etc, as they learn. And as they tell you about it, it may become more interesting to them and hopefully find a place in their long-term memory.
          Cindy and Jen,

I have taken what you guys put together here and saved it for next year's plan. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by Hahcook View Post
            (I'm the "science mom" for the one-day-per-week mini-cottage/co-op with Jen1134).

I have found that the "materials by week" file on the CD is the easiest way to find what I'm looking for. I printed out the suggested lesson plan schedule from the cd and am trying to follow that each week. It lists the quiz (numbering doesn't match the week because there wasn't a quiz the first week of each semester) and review guide (numbering also a week+ behind) that should be handed out. However, I find this too clunky to have the kids track, so I make a weekly guide that combines the Review Guide and the weekly reading assignments. I also try to preview the quiz and give general review "hints" within this guide. We also do the experiments (love them!!) during our co-op day so that takes up the discussion time for that week. These guides are kind of a work in progress and I think I'll tweak them a bit based on the discussions here.

The math is mostly just the gradient and % slope thus far (Chapter 9). One experiment (weathering) does require math but it is straight forward. We have postponed the stream table experiment til the spring...

so I'm trying to make this book...which I do love...work but think I will enjoy it more next round when this part of the process has already been hashed out once...

and I'm praying the Intro to Physics lessons will be a little easier....or at least not harder....

As I said...they have a great teacher! I still think the disconnect is in HOW we're carrying out the lesson plans here at home. The boys are on board now with the prep/read/write/review plan. I think I'm going to go ahead and give them the answers to past quiz questions that have been wrong so they have them for studying and we can start fresh with them correcting wrong answers on their own next week?

Oh, and the math hasn't been challenging but not too bad for the kids (but they are 8th graders; doing this in 7th wouldn't have been feasible).
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
            MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
            MPOA: High School Comp. II
            HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
            MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
            MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
            HSC: Modern European History

DS12
            7M with:
            Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
            SC Level 4

DD9
            3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
            Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
            SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
              Amen! The resource CD drives me crazy. Every quiz is a different file. The quiz calculations are their own file, but the verbal quiz answers are about page 80 of the sample answers file. No wonder I am behind on grading. Even if you want to print it out, it is a major endeavor. I second the request for a printed guide.
              Check your CD case. If it says FEB2017Rev on the back, then you have the Week by Week files Jessica/Hollie were talking about. I just discovered this today. Turns out they download to your computer as "Materials Week by Week" instead of having "Earth Science" in the name like the other folders. So, I completely missed it when trying to find what was where. If you do a search on your computer it should turn up the folder. Each week has one PDF for that week's Learning Checks and Quiz. Much more manageable!
              Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
              7M with:

DS11
              SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
              Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
              SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                Cindy,

You didn't give me Earth Science lesson plans, right? That's not something sitting forgotten on my desk?

Tanya
                Haha, no! We cannot get our Earth Science teachers to part with their plans. Perhaps because we don't cover the entire book and they don't want to dictate how much or exactly what to cover. Each family / school can use their best judgment about how much to cover and what (if any) to omit.

Cindy
                Cindy Davis
                Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
                ds-25 college graduate: independent young adult
                ds-24 college graduate: 2nd year med school
                dd-22 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                  So does this mean you don't do any of the topographic maps? That seemed like the coolest part to me. I even bought all of them from the USGS.
                  Dorinda,
                  Since our Earth Science teacher also teaches 7th grade geography, he knows they are already doing a lot of map work. He chose to cover other topics that would complement what they learn about physical geography.

I love this aspect of homeschooling - *you* think the topographic maps are cool and share your enthusiasm with your children. When you place your students in a classroom outside your home, they get what that teacher / school finds most essential.

Let us know how it goes!
                  Cindy
                  Cindy Davis

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                    As I said...they have a great teacher! I still think the disconnect is in HOW we're carrying out the lesson plans here at home. The boys are on board now with the prep/read/write/review plan. I think I'm going to go ahead and give them the answers to past quiz questions that have been wrong so they have them for studying and we can start fresh with them correcting wrong answers on their own next week?

Oh, and the math hasn't been challenging but not too bad for the kids (but they are 8th graders; doing this in 7th wouldn't have been feasible).
                    Jen,
                    I'm glad you wrote this. I would not make them find the right answers on their own. When they get their quizzes back, I would discuss what was lacking from their wrong answers and help them write in the correct answers in a different color ink. Then they will have something useful to study from for the future. I would do this after every quiz. (Not make them figure it all out on their own. They have new material to study.)
                    Cindy Davis

Comment

Jen,
                      I'm glad you wrote this. I would not make them find the right answers on their own. When they get their quizzes back, I would discuss what was lacking from their wrong answers and help them write in the correct answers in a different color ink. Then they will have something useful to study from for the future. I would do this after every quiz. (Not make them figure it all out on their own. They have new material to study.)
                      My children are eternally grateful to you...
                      Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
                      7M with:

DS11
                      SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
                      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                      SC Level C

Comment

q

Earth Science is a class for 7th grade that meets twice a week at our school. We selected the topics that would be most helpful and interesting to our students, and we do not cover any topics that require math in Earth Science.
                        Cindy,
                        Do you cover or omit the math sections in your Physical Science class? I was thinking yes since you mentioned a pre-algebra pre/co-requisite.
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
                        @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                        10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Re: q

Cindy,
                          Do you cover or omit the math sections in your Physical Science class? I was thinking yes since you mentioned a pre-algebra pre/co-requisite.
                          We do all the math in Physical Science, and we relish it! We do Physical Science in 8th grade, so all the students are taking either pre-algebra or algebra. When we get to the density equation, D = m/V, I show the algebra students how to solve for V, but I let the pre-algebra students put both versions on a flashcard: D = m/V ; V = m/D to be memorized.
                          Same thing for distance and velocity equation: d = v*t ; v = d/t ; t = d/v algebra students can solve; pre algebra can learn the forms (or solve if they understand what to do)

All the students do unit conversions, as they are just a special application of multiplying fractions.
                          All the students compute volume, as they learned how to do that in R&S math6 and math7. Science problems and the measurement experiment provide lots of practice to master this skill.

The great thing about using math in science class, is that it brings math to life! Students see how math skills they already learned (or are learning) are applied to real situations.
                          Cindy Davis

Comment

Great to know, Cindy! Thanks!
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                            10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Comment

Another question! Sorry, I'm full of questions...

Cindy, can you please remind me of the sequence you've chosen at Indy?

I was thinking Earth, Physical, Introductory Physics...?
                              Festina lentē,
                              Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                              10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Comment

Another question! Sorry, I'm full of questions...

Cindy, can you please remind me of the sequence you've chosen at Indy?

I was thinking Earth, Physical, Introductory Physics...?
                                Our standard science sequence is:
                                7th - Earth Science
                                8th - Physical Science
                                9th - Introductory Physics
                                10th - Biology
                                11th - Chemistry
                                12th - *Advanced Physics or Anatomy and Physiology
                                *Advanced Physics is recommended for students planning a major in pre-medical or STEM field.

We also offer an accelerated sequence:
                                7th - Earth Science
                                8th - Physical Science
                                9th - Biology
                                10th - Chemistry
                                11th&12th - *Advanced Physics, Anatomy and Physiology (either order)
                                *12th grade students who have completed Advanced Physics may take dual credit science at local university or online AP science (bio, chem, physics), instead of Anatomy and Physiology, if that better advances their academic goals for college.
                                Cindy Davis

Comment

Working...
                                X