Recitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recitations

Are there any samples of recitations online?

Re: Recitations

I don't see any! Good question ... it might be nice to have a sample of the first couple weeks of each recitation.

If you are talking about recitations for K-2, I can say that they work well as standalone recitations in my opinion. Starting in Grade 3 there is specific content (Greek Myths, Christian Studies, etcetera) which makes it not quite as useful if you aren't using MP as your main curriculum.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 15 yo
    ds N, 10 yo

Comment

What grade would you like to see? We can post a sample on Monday.

Tanya

Comment

Speaking of recitations, do they continue into 8th grade?
        DS, 15, 10th grade
        DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Hello.

We have recitations written through 7th grade, but we don't necessarily use them as they are written in 3rd grade and up at HLS. We tend to move toward a review of each subject before presenting new material. For example in Famous Men or Greek Myths or Christian studies, we will review using the drill question flashcards at the beginning of each of those classes. It takes 5-10 minutes and can be used as a rapid-fire review or as an oral quiz or as some type of game (like Around the World). Our first class of the day in grammar school is Latin, and that always begins with a Latin recitation. So our recitations are more subject-centered. And as we line up to go to lunch or for bathroom breaks, etc., we can pull out drill questions for timeline or memory verses and do a few of those. All these flashcards can be used in small doses effectively, and our teachers are really good at taking advantage of transition times.

That said, I can see that a thorough recitation would be great for homeschool because it allows you to do a thorough review with individual students one time and then move on to other students. So we have provided that through 7th grade. After that, students are working on a more abstract level. We will have done our job in grammar school with fact memorization, and by 8th grade, we are applying that knowledge on a higher level.

Tanya

Comment

I will chime in here that the younger the student is, the harder I work to keep oral recitations. As students age (and as the school year progresses and things get really long), we start to use helps like Quizlet (flashcard option, simply flipping each card) to help us keep up with recitation work. For example, my Ker does oral recitation three days per week: all of it out loud to mom. My third grader does some orally to me, but is more likely to use Quizlet this time of year where the list is getting long (we are on week 17). My sixth grader does hers on her own, reading through them in the back as a refresher or using Quizlet lists. The 8th grader is off in his own homeschooling universe--he is basically homeschooling himself outside of cottage school and MPOA.

As Tanya mentioned, they are done subject by subject in a classroom setting and I do appreciate the big-view review they provide in the homeschool. Usually the better we are at keeping with recitation, the better we feel about the school year because it really does cement the most important things. Plus, in a homeschool you get to hear the same things over and over and over. There's review for everyone, for free!

HTH!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
            DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
            DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
            DD 7th • HLN & Home
            DS 4th • HLN & Home
            Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
            Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Thanks, Tanya and Jessica.
              DS, 15, 10th grade
              DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

I would like more help with this, as well. My younger (special needs) son is doing MP2 this year and I've never really understood recitation. I actually made flashcards for last year's MP1 recitation questions/answers and he self-studied. LOL! It took no time for him to memorize them all. (He's a great memorizer.)

Thanks,
                SusanP

Comment

Susan,
                  It sounds like you are doing it well. Do you ever ask him the questions out loud? If no, you could add this activity once or twice a week to let him show off what he's learned. I put MP2 recitation in Quizlet so we could have access to them even away from flashcards. PW is "memoriapress" with no spaces. While you probably don't want him to use Quizlet for this, you can use it to help you flip through the items. Just use the "flashcard" option and make sure your settings are not on the "shuffle" mode so you can go straight through anytime. This is great if you have your phone nearby (there's an app) or you can do it from a laptop or other without having to physically hold the TM or when you are away from home. This could also be a fun activity to do with Dad at week's end to show what's new on the list. Just a few ideas.
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
                  DD 7th • HLN & Home
                  DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Thanks, Jessica! Appreciate the help and feedback.

SusanP

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      Susan,
                      It sounds like you are doing it well. Do you ever ask him the questions out loud? If no, you could add this activity once or twice a week to let him show off what he's learned. I put MP2 recitation in Quizlet so we could have access to them even away from flashcards. PW is "memoriapress" with no spaces. While you probably don't want him to use Quizlet for this, you can use it to help you flip through the items. Just use the "flashcard" option and make sure your settings are not on the "shuffle" mode so you can go straight through anytime. This is great if you have your phone nearby (there's an app) or you can do it from a laptop or other without having to physically hold the TM or when you are away from home. This could also be a fun activity to do with Dad at week's end to show what's new on the list. Just a few ideas.
                      You are precious.

That is all.
                      “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                      Wonder Boy 14 ...MP4 + R&S 5 Math
                      Joy Bubble 12 ...MP4
                      Cowboy 9 ...MP4 + R&S Math 3
                      Sassafras 5 ...MPK

Comment

Ha! I miss your face, Anita. Once a year is too infrequent.
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

DD 7th • HLN & Home
                        DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Is there a video link on this thread for recitation? Am I missing it?
                          Courtney
                          Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                            Is there a video link on this thread for recitation? Am I missing it?
                            Primary School

Grammar School

Upper School
                            Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                            DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
                            DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                            DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                            DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
                            DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Ok thanks Dianna. I thought it would be a link to a classroom recitation.
                              Courtney
                              Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Working...
                              X