Making First Form Greek more independent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making First Form Greek more independent

Is it possible for First Form Greek to be a mostly independent subject for my 13 year old? My daughter is very self-motivated, plus I have five younger children, so those two factors make it pretty important to me to have as many independent subjects as possible. The teacher's manual makes it seem pretty teacher-intensive, but I'm not sure if there are tweaks I can make so my daughter can do it mostly on her own. She just completed The Greek Alphabet Book, and did fine with it.
    (And this is my first post here, so if this question has already been answered, please feel free to point me to the right post. Thanks!!!)

Heather

Re: Making First Form Greek more independent

Originally posted by HeatherEllen View Post
    Is it possible for First Form Greek to be a mostly independent subject for my 13 year old? My daughter is very self-motivated, plus I have five younger children, so those two factors make it pretty important to me to have as many independent subjects as possible. The teacher's manual makes it seem pretty teacher-intensive, but I'm not sure if there are tweaks I can make so my daughter can do it mostly on her own. She just completed The Greek Alphabet Book, and did fine with it.
    (And this is my first post here, so if this question has already been answered, please feel free to point me to the right post. Thanks!!!)

Heather
    Yes, FFG can be relatively independent! The Teacher Manual was actually written with that idea in mind You can give it (not the Key) to your student, and then you will simply be responsible for grading and quiz administering.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Agreeing with Michael--just give the TM directly to the student. You'll want to do the oral drill together, but other than that a very motivated student (who's already studied Latin) can do it pretty much alone. You'll want a system in place for who is marking work (daily or weekly?) and giving/grading quizzes. Some students can mark their own work and others cannot.

That brings up a question: has your daughter studied Latin yet, and if so, what is her current level? If she's not studied Latin my advice is going to shift a little bit. The reason it's "easy" for a Latin student is that it's a return to First Form Latin level grammatical understanding. After Third Form Latin, First Form Greek is mostly just memorization of a new way to do the same old things.

Last question: do you (or your spouse) have any background with Greek?
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2020-2021
      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
        That brings up a question: has your daughter studied Latin yet, and if so, what is her current level?
        She studied Latin for a few years, but using a different curriculum, and probably not quite up to the Third Form Latin level.

Last question: do you (or your spouse) have any background with Greek?
        Other than knowing a lot of the letters from math classes in college... No.

Comment

Working...
        X