• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Re: What have you let go of?

Originally posted by Evangelina View Post
    We were doing really well this year, every box got a check for 7 weeks straight, which is a really big deal for us. Then I got sick. Roughly 6 weeks ago my appendix ruptured and we haven't done a lick of bookwork since then. But I have had lots of time to think about many things, school being near the top of the list.
    So, what I'm wondering is have any of you decided to walk away from some of the things on the lesson plan and were really glad once you did? We actually really enjoy all of it, except my son doesn't like math, but that's a personal distaste. It can be anything...the enrichment guide, the reading guides, recitation, etc?
    Why am I asking? I don't really know. Other than maybe I can streamline the day a bit, my expectations are too high, even though we like it we argue about the workload too much, etc. I don't really know. I've had way to much time recovering and my mind has wandered? I am just curious what people have to say.
    Thanks.
    Bless your heart! I hope you're feeling better.

My dirty confession? We don't do the enrichment. <ducks tomatoes>
    Is is beautiful? Absolutely. But I had to come clean with myself that sometimes, there are just too many moving parts in my homeschool, and I have to streamline.
    We have a literature rich home .... having to pull children away from free reading and back to schoolwork is a common occurrence here. My children are voracious readers, both with their eyes and ears, so I don't think we're missing out on too much.

We don't do recitation. OR --- if I ever feel guilty about not doing it, I pull out the recitation questions and do them rapid fire, like a flash card drill.

Bottom line, you've got to do what works for you.

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Evangeline,
    I hope you are feeling better! What a rough go of it!

Not much else - Jen gave a great strategy for putting your own personal "non-negotiables" list in place. We pretty much run in that mode all the time (ha!) so I can tell you that it works for us, too.

Rest well and heal up quickly!
    AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Evangelina
    replied

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
    Hi Evangelina,

Mom's appendix bursting is sure to put a damper on school progress. Be kind to yourself as you heal. I do think you are smart to consider your nonnegotiables as you look ahead.

But, let me ask you this, thereby turning around your question around 180 degrees: what do *you* think are the nonnegotiable school pieces? Maybe you can build your ideas from the position of the positive: what is working, what you all love, what you'd miss.

Only for example purposes, I will model. Religion. I always start with which faith materials I will use, then anchor them into my proto-schedule. Next, math. If you need help with motivation for your son, start a new thread if you want. Collectively we are full of ideas to get young 'uns through rough math patches.

After that, it gets more personal. Some will say spelling, others Latin, others literature. I recommend you build up to a set of subjects which are your bedrock, the least you can consider. THEN add. Add the next layer of subjects you do want to do, and probably can do on most days/weeks. Finally, get to your Nice to Do Subjects. We all have them! At that point, you have answered the question you pose above. For most people, that will be a dedicated classical music program, art appreciation or messy art, and often science (O! The horror!). Don't feel badly, though, because you'd be in good company.

But, just because you might need to pare back right now doesn't mean that you cannot get to these subjects as needed. For example, depending on the age of your children, Greek myths can be deferred to a summer course, then reinforced through other studies as they proceed the following year.

Another example: Latin. Depending on which course your kids are in, Prima, LC I, or FF, all of which are Introductory courses, you can decide if you will wait a year to get back to Latin. If your kids are young, you might decide to focus on the 3 R's for the remainder of this year, then add Latin back next year, even the level you currently own, or maybe even the next introductory level course of Latin up. That more or less depends on your kids' ages.

I hope this gives you some ideas. When my homeschool goes into a skid, the very first things I add back are from a short list of my nonnegotiables, then add up from there. If you start with the list of things you *really* want for your kids, you will be more motivated and positive about your days, even if they are not perfect.

Jen
    There seems to be so much comfort and simplicity in the 3 R's right now for me.
    Thanks for the reply and ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelina
    replied

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Wow, I'm so glad to hear you are recovering! That's a huge unplanned event for a person & family, much less a school year. Can you remind us how many kids you are teaching (sounds like one?), his age, and what grade core you are working on? Also, are there any areas he's naturally quick at getting? Are there other non-schooling kids in the mix?

There's always a way to streamline during challenging times. I'm sure we can all put our heads together to put some ideas on the table for a temporary solution that can grow back to full strength as you heal up and things return more to normal.
    2 kids right now. 6 year old doing kindergarten and 9 year old doing 2nd grade. The 9 year old is the challenge. Doesn't like math, but I think that's mostly because he hasn't been able to memorize math facts, so it's challenging for him. Surprisingly enough he likes Latin and does very well. Loves science.
    The 6 year old pretty much mimics the 9 year old's behavior.
    I think we have allowed them both to create the very bad habit of complaining about everything, so I just assumed that he, the 9 year old, didn't like much of any of it. Much to my surprise he recently said he likes all of it, except math. He couldn't give me a good answer as to why he complains about it. A character issue we need to work on.

Leave a comment:

• Jen (formerly) in Japan
    replied

Hi Evangelina,

Mom's appendix bursting is sure to put a damper on school progress. Be kind to yourself as you heal. I do think you are smart to consider your nonnegotiables as you look ahead.

But, let me ask you this, thereby turning around your question around 180 degrees: what do *you* think are the nonnegotiable school pieces? Maybe you can build your ideas from the position of the positive: what is working, what you all love, what you'd miss.

Only for example purposes, I will model. Religion. I always start with which faith materials I will use, then anchor them into my proto-schedule. Next, math. If you need help with motivation for your son, start a new thread if you want. Collectively we are full of ideas to get young 'uns through rough math patches.

After that, it gets more personal. Some will say spelling, others Latin, others literature. I recommend you build up to a set of subjects which are your bedrock, the least you can consider. THEN add. Add the next layer of subjects you do want to do, and probably can do on most days/weeks. Finally, get to your Nice to Do Subjects. We all have them! At that point, you have answered the question you pose above. For most people, that will be a dedicated classical music program, art appreciation or messy art, and often science (O! The horror!). Don't feel badly, though, because you'd be in good company.

But, just because you might need to pare back right now doesn't mean that you cannot get to these subjects as needed. For example, depending on the age of your children, Greek myths can be deferred to a summer course, then reinforced through other studies as they proceed the following year.

Another example: Latin. Depending on which course your kids are in, Prima, LC I, or FF, all of which are Introductory courses, you can decide if you will wait a year to get back to Latin. If your kids are young, you might decide to focus on the 3 R's for the remainder of this year, then add Latin back next year, even the level you currently own, or maybe even the next introductory level course of Latin up. That more or less depends on your kids' ages.

I hope this gives you some ideas. When my homeschool goes into a skid, the very first things I add back are from a short list of my nonnegotiables, then add up from there. If you start with the list of things you *really* want for your kids, you will be more motivated and positive about your days, even if they are not perfect.

Jen

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Wow, I'm so glad to hear you are recovering! That's a huge unplanned event for a person & family, much less a school year. Can you remind us how many kids you are teaching (sounds like one?), his age, and what grade core you are working on? Also, are there any areas he's naturally quick at getting? Are there other non-schooling kids in the mix?

There's always a way to streamline during challenging times. I'm sure we can all put our heads together to put some ideas on the table for a temporary solution that can grow back to full strength as you heal up and things return more to normal.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelina
    started a topic What have you let go of?

What have you let go of?

We were doing really well this year, every box got a check for 7 weeks straight, which is a really big deal for us. Then I got sick. Roughly 6 weeks ago my appendix ruptured and we haven't done a lick of bookwork since then. But I have had lots of time to think about many things, school being near the top of the list.
    So, what I'm wondering is have any of you decided to walk away from some of the things on the lesson plan and were really glad once you did? We actually really enjoy all of it, except my son doesn't like math, but that's a personal distaste. It can be anything...the enrichment guide, the reading guides, recitation, etc?
    Why am I asking? I don't really know. Other than maybe I can streamline the day a bit, my expectations are too high, even though we like it we argue about the workload too much, etc. I don't really know. I've had way to much time recovering and my mind has wandered? I am just curious what people have to say.
    Thanks.
Working...
X