Stick with R&S Math or switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick with R&S Math or switch?

I need advice on math for my Kindergartener. He is really bored with Rod and Staff (I started him with Workbook 1 and planned to let him work through it quickly and go on to Workbook 2 - 1st grade math in January). Conceptually he understands all the math in both Workbook 1 and 2 so, at this point, it's primarily a writing exercise for him since he still writes a few numbers backwards. I'm considering switching to a different curriculum; one that's less writing intensive. What other math curriculums do people like? What reasons do you have for sticking with R&S or switching to something else?

I'd love some input from admin. I know my concerns are not new. My 3rd grader uses R&S and we moved quickly through the early books so she is currently in book 4. I'm happy with her progress and understanding.

Re: Stick with R&S Math or switch?

Hi Deb!

I feel your antsy-ness about these first two years of math for these little folks. Once my kids have the concept of addition down (which does not take past the 1 family!) it seems like a REALLY long time that we are just writing and rewriting and rewriting the same things!

But then again - the writing is really important right now! My daughter still reverses some numbers too, and finds the workbook pages REALLY easy. I am tempted to just let her keep going at her pace, but I have not yet opened that up to her - and here's why:

I know i am not leaving Rod and Staff, and I know the older grades are so well-suited to each age the children are when they "hit" them. I don't want her to hit fractions before she is supposed to because I know for her that would end up giving her an unnecessary struggle. My older kids have all been through Rod and Staff, and I am so happy with how well they do in it, and in the high school maths that follow their R&S years. So since I am not changing, I am just holding the course and doing what is assigned for K.

That being said, I don't know if you have the box of black lines that comes with the first grade set - but hardly any of those are assigned in the CG. So I pull out a couple more of those almost every day to give her more to do. Again, it is still mostly "practicing through writing" but my K'ers usually need practice writing - especially since they will start moving on to learning cursive next year. I WANT their manuscript printing to get to be perfect over this year - whether it is through letters or numbers. We also do flashcards - which she loves!

That is what helps keep me patient to wait through these "easy" hills of conceptual understanding while letting the writing aspect take center stage.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Deb H,

Did you post on Facebook? If so, I think I answered over there already. If that wasn’t you, let me know and I am happy to reply!

Blessings,
      Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
        Deb H,

Did you post on Facebook? If so, I think I answered over there already. If that wasn’t you, let me know and I am happy to reply!

Blessings,
        Michelle T
        Yes, that was me, Michelle!

I should have prefaced my question with "I never stray from MP!" I appreciate everyones reassurance that R&S works.

Comment

Working...
        X