OT: Chapter book read alouds for preschoolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Chapter book read alouds for preschoolers

Hi All! I have a (just turned) 5 year old, 3 year old, and a 1 year old. I've started reading chapter books aloud with them and need some suggestions for more choices that are appropriate for preschoolers. We have read through The Peter Rabbit stories, Winnie the Pooh, Uncle Wiggly's stories, Paddington and My Father's Dragon. I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
    Liana

Re: OT: Chapter book read alouds for preschoolers

Hi! I'd consider:

Fairy tales, adapted for young ones

Mother Goose

The Boxcar Children

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

CappyBoppy

Usborne had a child's version of Greek Myths that my youngest loved when he was 5 yrs.

Jen
    DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

For suggestions of books that have been culled as appropriate for specific grades, check out the various book lists on the Highlands Latin School website.

Blessings,
      Michelle T

Comment

Ambelsideonline.com has reads according to years. Your child would be considered year zero. Looks like you've read a great deal already but you can probably find some titles there.

Comment

I know we read aloud Stuart little and Ramona books. Also, here's a penny is nice. I think Carolyn Haywood is the author. I also like a book called the Read Aloud Handbook. It talks about the benefits of reading aloud to all ages, and then gives lots of suggestions for various ages.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Anything by Richard Scarry, was just fun to look at all the silly pictures, read the words, and giggle over together. Trying to find Lowly Worm- ah sweet memories!

Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling (I know yours are young but such language rhythm and cadence and a magic that is perfect for the little ears imo- and you can read it again later. (and again, and again!) These stuck with my kids even though they understood very little.

James Herriot's Treasury for Children for the 5 year old-

Poetry for Children- all kinds and especially silly stuff like Edward Lear, just to hear everybody laugh.
            Robert Louis Stevenson, child's garden of verses...

Really silly "Knock-knock" type joke books-

Anything with big pictures of creepy-looking bugs, or weird bottom dwellers, or other odd and wonderful creatures like...tree goats... or that lizard that can run on water...stuff like that.

Fairy tales, lots, all kinds. the Milly Molly Mandy Storybook?

I could go on...but I'll stop. Especially 'cause I just realized these aren't really chapter books!
            Last edited by Girlnumber20; 11-20-2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

It’s not a chapter book, per se, but we mentioned the poetry of Lear so I’m throwing my suggestion in the ring: Shel Silverstein, “Where The Sidewalk Ends”. My seven-year-old daughter devoured that book. (And it is delicious.)

Going in to Christmas season, Laura Ingalls Wilder’s “Winter on the Farm”, “Christmas In The Big Woods”, and “A Little House Christmas Treasury” are all winners. And of course you can’t go wrong with any of the original Little House books or sequels.
              “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              Wonder Boy 14 ...MP4 + R&S 5 Math
              Joy Bubble 12 ...MP4
              Cowboy 9 ...MP4 + R&S Math 3
              Sassafras 5 ...MPK

Comment

YAY! A question I'm equipped to answer!

My 3 year old ADORES the Mercy Watson series. "Mercy Watson wuuuuuvs toast, wif a great deal of butter on it!" (his pronunciation, not the author's) They are adorably funny, and a quick read. This was actually the first chapter book that I knew my son was listening to, since he asks for it by name.

My 5 year old loves Pippi Longstocking, as well as Mrs Piggle Wiggle.

A crowd favorite here are books from Beverly Cleary -- we have the Henry Huggins audio collection, as well as the Ramona Quimby audio collection.

If you enjoyed Paddington, there are other books in the series. My kids were hooked on those for a while.
                Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
                DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
                DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Working...
                X