• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Noise Control

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    Anita, you missed wine. (Just sayin') <3
    Grabbing my car keys as we speak, girl.
    “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
    Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
    Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
    Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

I’m so glad I’m not the only one! I have three boys who are 5, 3, and 1, and they can get LOUD, but my biggest issue right now is how to deal with noise that I can’t control. We live in a duplex (my parents own) and the male half of the couple next door is an obnoxious, 50+ year old man-child. He played video games, loudly for 12 hours today. I was so overstimulated by noise that I wanted to scream. But I can’t go say anything because he’s also violent. I had to call the cops a couple months ago because he was beating her. My head still feels like it’s about to explode, to be honest.
      Lauren
      DS7 - MP2
      DS4 - MP Jr. K
      DS2 - professional distractor

Comment

Originally posted by AggieFrau08 View Post
        I’m so glad I’m not the only one! I have three boys who are 5, 3, and 1, and they can get LOUD, but my biggest issue right now is how to deal with noise that I can’t control. We live in a duplex (my parents own) and the male half of the couple next door is an obnoxious, 50+ year old man-child. He played video games, loudly for 12 hours today. I was so overstimulated by noise that I wanted to scream. But I can’t go say anything because he’s also violent. I had to call the cops a couple months ago because he was beating her. My head still feels like it’s about to explode, to be honest.
        That is awful. I feel for you. There are few things worse than lousy neighbors. I’ve had a few loud/lewd/violent/belligerent ones in my past (and present). It’s like being terrorized. There is truly so little you can do, other than what you’re doing — especially when the walls are thin.

Keep a written record of the neighbors offenses, including how many times you’ve had to call the police. Make sure the records are detailed with date, time and any other witnesses. You may also be able to appeal to the property management company (if there is one). This is how I got out of a two-year apartment lease without penalty.

Property managers are bound by law to provide “reasonable peace” in any living situation where they manage tenants. Slap a lawyer’s name on your notice and you get their attention pretty quickly. If you call around to a smaller firm you can ask to use their name — but not their billable hours — and they’ll let you do it for free, as long as you type up all the notices on something that looks like your own personal letterhead.

I had upstairs neighbors who liked to stomp like elephants and yell (among — ahem — other things) at all hours of the night and I rarely got any sleep because of it. My then-boyfriend (now-husband) clued me in on what to do to get out of my lease (and get some sleep in a new apartment across town). It was fabulous. Before that, in another complex, I had a couple living above me who would have screaming, hitting and slamming matches. That was scary. But the cake-topper was my husband’s neighbor. He was living in California at the time (before we met) and one night he heard a big THUD across the hall, followed by intense screaming. He ran across the hall to see what was going on and his neighbor had killed his wife in a drunken rage. In front of their children. My husband restrained the husband, tried to get help for the wife (who had been stabbed in the neck) and let their children watch cartoons in his apartment while the police cleaned everything up.

So it could always be worse.

ETA: These might be helpful on how to cut down on noise from your neighbor.
        https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/4...your-apartment
        http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/be-a...artment-190384
        http://www.soundproofcow.com/
        http://ww38.quietsolution.com/html/quietrock.html
        Last edited by Anita; 11-24-2017, 10:18 PM.
        “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
        Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
        Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
        Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

Oh noise! The thing that can push a parent to insanity quickly, especially when it’s bickering! We read the book “Decibella and her 6 inch Voice.” It gave the kids a concrete example of why inappropriately loud voices are offensive to some people and the vocabulary to correct it. Instead of having just an indoor voice we know can use whisper, 6 inch voice, table talk voice, strong speaker and outside voice. After we read the book, we practiced a few times together as a family.

Heidi

https://www.amazon.com/Decibella-6-I...ords=Decibella
          Heidi

For 2021-22
          dd- 6th
          ds- 3rd
          dd- 1st
          ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Working...
          X