Opinion of teacher training at conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion of teacher training at conference

Trying to gauge the usefulness of Teacher Training after our Sodalitas Gathering to a homeschooling mama like myself. Next year I'll have a k, 2nd, and SC4/ 3rd grader.

Opinions? Reviews?

Thanks!

We're putting together a Sorority House, I mean vacation rental, over on the SC forum for Sodalitas this summer. Anyone on K-8 interested in joining us? We found a house that sleeps 11 and is pretty affordable.

We're trying to firm up our reservation dates and that's why I was asking about Teacher Training. Should we extend our stay to cover TT as well?
    Last edited by Colomama; 11-14-2017, 07:10 PM.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Re: Opinion of teacher training at conference

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    Trying to gauge the usefulness of Teacher Training aftwr our Sodalitas Gathering to a homeschooling mama like myself. Next year I'll have a k, 2nd, and SC4/ 3rd grader.

Opinions? Reviews?

Thanks!
    The first TT I attended was last year simply because I wanted a crash course in Second Form Latin. Until last year, I was pretty comfortable teaching my kiddos (then Pre-K, 4th and 6th grades). I absolutely adored Mrs. Taylor and really liked the way she went in-depth through each chapter and told us pitfalls to watch out for, common problems she sees with her students (such as, "hey, watch out in this chapter when we introduce this new concept - be sure your students reeeally know it before you move on...") and even what to really make sure the kids know from FFL before moving on.

This year, my *plan* is to either attend TFL or CC Chreia/Maxim...my big problem will be deciding which one, as I have a 5th grader who will be moving on to TFL next year and a 7th grader really struggling with C/M (and will likely need to repeat this - planning to have a nice long talk with the fine folks answering the MP Bat Phone very soon - ha!).

I guess it all depends on what's coming down the pike for your kiddos and your comfort level in teaching it. Be aware that TT is geared toward teachers and you will be in a classroom with mostly cottage school and private school teachers. Most of the questions and teaching methods will be geared toward that kind of setting; however, I was able to get a LOT of good information out of it and I'm looking forward to it next year. I hope this helps you!
    Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

For me, it was amazingly helpful. Since I had kids in multiple cores (6a, 2 and a wee bit of 3, plus K), I split my time between the 2nd, 3rd and 6th grade classes. I REALLY enjoyed sitting in with Mr Lewis (and soon learned why he is my daughter's favorite teacher).

Things I wish I had sat in on:
      Chreia/Maxim --- this was during a part of the day when I was in the 3rd grade breakout.

In the summer, I'm pretty sure I will spend Wed in Latina Christiana (isn't that one of the sessions?) because my boys will be in that level this fall. Not sure if I'll head to the upper school breakouts (that scares me senseless) or hang back with 3rd grade. (but I did a big chunk of it last summer).

Decisions, decisions.

I think it's worth it for sure.
      Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
        The first TT I attended was last year simply because I wanted a crash course in Second Form Latin. Until last year, I was pretty comfortable teaching my kiddos (then Pre-K, 4th and 6th grades). I absolutely adored Mrs. Taylor and really liked the way she went in-depth through each chapter and told us pitfalls to watch out for, common problems she sees with her students (such as, "hey, watch out in this chapter when we introduce this new concept - be sure your students reeeally know it before you move on...") and even what to really make sure the kids know from FFL before moving on.

This year, my *plan* is to either attend TFL or CC Chreia/Maxim...my big problem will be deciding which one, as I have a 5th grader who will be moving on to TFL next year and a 7th grader really struggling with C/M (and will likely need to repeat this - planning to have a nice long talk with the fine folks answering the MP Bat Phone very soon - ha!).

I guess it all depends on what's coming down the pike for your kiddos and your comfort level in teaching it. Be aware that TT is geared toward teachers and you will be in a classroom with mostly cottage school and private school teachers. Most of the questions and teaching methods will be geared toward that kind of setting; however, I was able to get a LOT of good information out of it and I'm looking forward to it next year. I hope this helps you!
        ETA: I should tell you that I was only able to attend the Teacher Intensive on Wednesday - I did not attend all of TT for Thursday/Friday. Sorry if my post caused any confusion!
        Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

There is a lot of useful information in the TT workshops that could help you implement the curriculum as long as you go into it knowing that its main purpose is to educate teachers how to teach MP within brick and mortar schools. So there will be things that don't necessarily apply to you - classroom management, group activities, etc. But as long as you go in there knowing that and prepared to ignore what doesn't apply to you, you won't be disappointed.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
          X