Mammal study for 5th grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mammal study for 5th grade

My daughter will be on the older side of 5th grade. Would the mammal book be too easy for her? She loves animals. Or, should I go with the insect book?

Re: Mammal study for 5th grade

Originally posted by bethben View Post
    My daughter will be on the older side of 5th grade. Would the mammal book be too easy for her? She loves animals. Or, should I go with the insect book?
    Hi there,
    I think Mammals could work for 5th grade. The Mammals study guide actually requires more writing than the Insects guide, but the Insects lessons have longer reading assignments. Since The World of animals book covers more than Mammals, if it turns out to be too easy, you could do two lessons a week and then study another class of animals in the same year.
    Catherine

2019-20
    DS16, 10th
    DS13, 7th
    DS11, 6th
    DD11, 6th
    DS7, 1st
    DD4, JrK
    DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
    2 in classical school

Comment

Originally posted by bethben View Post
      Beth,
      I am doing Mammals for the first time with my third grader and I have been very impressed by it. She has actually needed help answering a lot of the questions. Some of them are found easily, but some of them take a bit of actual thought, such as "explain echolocation." This was not something my daughter immediately understood. She read it from the book, but we still had to discuss it before she was able to come up with an answer.

Also, I can see how this course could be used in a more challenging way if I had her actually memorize a lot of the material. We are not doing it that way, as it would overtax her right now, but there is a level of challenge that COULD be done, that would make it something a fifth grader could gain a lot from.

The other thing I will say is that if it does end up being easy for her, you could always spend a semester on it, and then fill in with another science too - finishing in the summer if necessary.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

My 5th grader and 3rd grader are both doing Mammals this year. He did Astronomy in 3A, and Insects in 4A, so he missed Mammals an wanted to do it with his brother. I'm trying to get him on the regular track, so this works well for us. I don't think it is too easy. I do a lot of it orally with my 3rd grader, but with my 5th grader I expect all of the study guide completed well.
        Stacie
        2017-2018 School Year
        10 year old boy, 5th grade but trying to get OFF the accelerated track
        8 year old boy, 3rd
        5 year old boy, K
        3 year old boy
        1 year old girl

Comment

Working...
        X