Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Prayer Request

Hi all,

Can y’all offer a quick prayer or two for my family? My husband was unexpectedly laid off a little over two weeks ago. Our health insurance ran out on Tuesday, but we have signed up for COBRA (which is wicked expensive) and are waiting on that to kick in. We just found out today that our entire upstairs shower has to be ripped out, mold remediated and replaced. Homeowners will cover some, but it’s a $500 deductible, and likely a $5-$10k job. We will have to camp in the kids shower for the duration. (YAY!) Severance was a lump sum payment, but has been taxed heavily. With that, unemployment benefits and anything else we can scratch up, minus our mortgage and expenses, we have about 8 weeks until we’re basically broke. No idea how we’re going to be able to afford the shower replacement, if at all. We may just be down a shower until my husband finds a new job.

We don’t have any debt except the mortgage and our extra expenses have been put on lock down. (Christmas is going to be sweet and far less material than previous years, even though we aren’t a big gift-giving family to begin with.) All our next-grade-level MP curriculum has been purchased, along with used read alouds from Amazon. The kids have clothes (thank you, WalMart) and we’re psychologically attuned for frugality. Both my husband and I came up fending for ourselves, and we both moved out as soon as we were able. So we’re acquainted with budgeting and poverty (he: ramen, me: vegetarianism). Our kids don’t know Daddy’s unemployed, they just think he’s on vacation. Schooling continues, as do regular activities (excepting Friday night delivery pizza — that gets made from scratch now). We have consulted a lawyer regarding all the severance legalities and my husband has so many business contacts and possibilities. His skills are in demand, even though we do not have anything firm in hand yet.

So we’re in pretty good shape. I’d still appreciate the prayers, though. We are heading in to the holidays and this is typically the time of year when companies are looking at third quarter earnings and readying to make their numbers for the year. Hiring might be nonexistent — or up for the holidays and then down at New Years. The housing market is not great this time of year either, even though we live in a desirable neighborhood in a lovely area. I’m not worried about being broke, having to live in an apartment, or having to move. I know those are more than likely just temporary realities. I really just don’t want to go through a foreclosure. That would be ... bad. (I can’t think of another word.)

Our collective attitude is pretty upbeat. We always land on our feet. But this is the first time in either my husband’s or my working careers that either of us have been laid off. It’s sort of strange territory. I am not in a position to get a part time job. I am a full time mom and educator. The cost of childcare would offset any part time gig (around here — that would be Walgreens, WalMart or waiting tables) to the point of pointlessness.

So... prayers? Thanks, y’all. And please, please, please feel free to add your own prayer requests to this thread. I don’t mind at all! I know other families struggle with much greater challenges.

Love to all,

Anita
    “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Wonder Boy 14 ... MP5 + R&S Math 6
    Joy Bubble 12 ... MP5 full core
    Cowboy 10 ... MP5 + R&S Math 4
    Sassafras 6 ... MP1
    All … SSPX Catechesis

Re: OT: Prayer Request

Girl, you have my prayers for provision in all it's wild and varied forms--checks in the mail, refunds, gifts, surprises, new work... We are in real estate and when the housing market burst, we almost lost our house (as in, we were outrageously close). Thanks for inviting us in to this place of need so that we can walk with you through it AND see you to the other side. There is always another side, you just have to be friends long enough to watch it through to the redemption parts.

Big hugs, sister.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      Girl, you have my prayers for provision in all it's wild and varied forms--checks in the mail, refunds, gifts, surprises, new work... We are in real estate and when the housing market burst, we almost lost our house (as in, we were outrageously close). Thanks for inviting us in to this place of need so that we can walk with you through it AND see you to the other side. There is always another side, you just have to be friends long enough to watch it through to the redemption parts.

Big hugs, sister.
      Congratulations, you just made me cry.

Thank you. ❤️
      “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
      Sassafras 6 ... MP1
      All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Praying! Thank you for sharing.
        Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

Comment

Anita,

You are one of the toughest ladies I know and love. Leaning on St Elizabeth of Hungary to watch over y'all. (because, food <3, my Rachel's namesake, and a gracious and lovely saint)

Please keep us posted, and know that we are lifting you up. I so admire your dogged determination in the face of struggles. I'd be whimpering in the corner or throwing a temper tantrum.
          Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
          DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian and theatre
          DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia and dysgraphia
          DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
          DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
          DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Anita,
            Whew. Midst of the storm, no? I am so sorry to hear about this time of trial. It.is.so.hard. We have always believed that the greatest trials lead to the greatest blessings - the hard part is that those rewards are not always realized in this life. It can often just feal heavy, heavy, heavy - followed by more heavy on top of that. I hope you will feel supported by all of our prayers, and that a job option will arrive asap. I am asking our saint Nicholas to intercede for you - he saw us through a difficult year, and I will ask him to now watch over your family as well.

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Oh, Anita, I am so sorry to hear about this. Jessica beat me to it - I was going to tell you that I'm praying for Ed McMahon to show up at your door. *weary laugh*

This brought back bitter memories from about 5 years ago, just before Thanksgiving. Same deal - DH was let go without warning and it began raining in our oldest daughter's room that week. (Why do things like roofs and mold happen at the *worst* possible time? Wait...is there ever a good time?) I remember being so angry because his HR rep told us "not to worry" because we would have COBRA benefits. Shyeah, for more than our monthly mortgage!

All this is to say that it is so hard, no matter how frugal you are, to live with the extra worry unemployment brings. It's easy to look back and see how something happened for your benefit but when you're going through that trial, it is tough. We are praying for you over here. <3
              Last edited by Mary; 11-03-2017, 04:36 PM. Reason: Typos, typos everywhere...
              Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
              DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
              DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I will definitely be praying for you, Anita!
                Catherine

2022-23
                14th year homeschooling
                7th year with MP

DS19, college freshman
                DS16, 10th
                DS & DD14, 9th
                DS10, 4th
                DD7, 2nd
                DS4, JrK
                DS & DS, 1yr old

Comment

Y’ALL! (Buckets and buckets of boohoos) STOP IT! If I were wearing mascara, it’d be on my chin!

Thank you. This means a lot, coming from the strongest ladies I know. My deepest gratitude.

And Sarah, (ohhh I’m going to start blubbering) just thinking of those sweet little St Nicholas feet you posted... I could just hold him and kiss him and coo to him. The BEST Saint for sweet prayers. Thank you for asking him to watch over us. That’s so, so precious. My mamas heart is so full.

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                  Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                  All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Anita,

Just coming off a horrendous head cold, so I beg pardon if this is a little garbled.

Prayers for you and your family. Having lived through some doozies myself, I am reminded that it was in the *very* gap of the NOT knowing what was next that I would have my faith strengthened. It is the biggest dichotomy of all: only when you have nothing do you realize you have everything you actually need. Your knees must hit the floor to realize this.

In the meantime, I will pray that concrete, practical solutions also come your way. There were years where we wrapped sugared cereal up as Christmas gifts. It was a big treat for the kids and it made under the tree look big and full.

Jen
                    DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
                      Anita,

Just coming off a horrendous head cold, so I beg pardon if this is a little garbled.

Prayers for you and your family. Having lived through some doozies myself, I am reminded that it was in the *very* gap of the NOT knowing what was next that I would have my faith strengthened. It is the biggest dichotomy of all: only when you have nothing do you realize you have everything you actually need. Your knees must hit the floor to realize this.

In the meantime, I will pray that concrete, practical solutions also come your way. There were years where we wrapped sugared cereal up as Christmas gifts. It was a big treat for the kids and it made under the tree look big and full.

Jen
                      I love this. Thank you.

Mother Angelica story to share, when she was in the beginning stages as foundress of EWTN — and broke. Every time Mother would get a bill she couldn’t pay, she’d take it to the convent chapel, lay it on the altar, and say (basically), “Mail for You, Lord. Here Y’go.” She figured: God had called her, He would supply the necessities. And He did, in a very big way.

God called us to homeschool. He gave us four beautiful children, two with significant special needs. He called my husband to the job that just laid him off. He called me to be a full time mom. We will give Him our loaves and fishes, our two little mites, our trust, our faith, our Love. He’ll take care of it.
                      Last edited by Anita; 11-04-2017, 10:54 AM.

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                      Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                      All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Anita, prayers and hugs and so much love for you and for your beautiful family. I am so sorry that this has happened.

Just this week I was thinking on how, when I feel utterly broken and unable to carry on, it becomes so clear that grace is what keeps me in the game at all. You have so much grace, and I myself have been extraordinarily blessed by you on this forum.

I will be praying for the lightening of your burdens and for the certain and sustaining awareness of our Lord's presence.
                        Ana, mama to
                        ds A, 15 yo
                        ds N, 10 yo

Comment

I'll be praying for you and your family!
                          2019-20
                          DS--9, 3M/4M
                          DD--7, mix of 1 and 2
                          DD--5, MP K
                          DS--3
                          DS--1

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
                            It is the biggest dichotomy of all: only when you have nothing do you realize you have everything you actually need.
                            My husband says this and it's one of my most favorite things: all the most important things are good.
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                            DS Hillsdale College freshman
                            DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                            DD 8th • HLN & Home
                            DS 5th • HLN & Home
                            Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                            Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment