X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for kindergarten reading

Hello all,

I need some advice.
    I started my daughter in kindergarten without doing any of the Jr. Kindergarten work. She is having a heck of a time with the phonics/reading. She had no real letter or sound recognition previously. I am wondering if it would be best to go back and do the Jr. Kindergarten alphabet lesson/writing work and put the kindergarten phonics work on hold. So my question is which material/workbooks exactly would be best to cover from Jr. Kindergarten? She is up to speed with all the other kindergarten material, phonics/reading is the only place we are struggling.

Thanks!

Re: Advice for kindergarten reading

Are you doing all of the scripted lessons from First Start Reading including the ear training? Are you doing the MP phonics and reading lessons as scripted including the handwriting? My youngest is repeating K this year (the entire thing, every single thing) because he was too young for K last year. He had to do it though to be with me at cottage school this year. Not that repeating is the best advice here! I think you have the flexibility to shift things now and I'm sure Michelle will help coach you through. I'm just throwing that out there as a very good and healthy possibility for some, especially those on the younger end who didn't already know how to read.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Evangelina,

It could be pausing kindergarten and working through the junior kindergarten materials would give your child the time needed to gain the phonemic awareness required for success in reading. There is a quick checklist on the MP website under kindergarten core curriculum. It can be found in the article “Is Your Child Ready For Kindergarten?” This outlines the benchmarks needed to be reached before starting our kindergarten reading/writing program. Reading is developmental so not every child is ready at the age of 5. It could be the preparations given in Jr. K coupled with the extra time is just what she needs for future success!

Blessings,
      Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
        Evangelina,

It could be pausing kindergarten and working through the junior kindergarten materials would give your child the time needed to gain the phonemic awareness required for success in reading. There is a quick checklist on the MP website under kindergarten core curriculum. It can be found in the article “Is Your Child Ready For Kindergarten?” This outlines the benchmarks needed to be reached before starting our kindergarten reading/writing program. Reading is developmental so not every child is ready at the age of 5. It could be the preparations given in Jr. K coupled with the extra time is just what she needs for future success!

Blessings,
        Michelle T
        Thanks for the replies.

I will take a look at the checklist. We did half of kindergarten last year when she was 5 and are completing this year (she is now 6) We did the "A" book twice for review and I guess I thought she would pick it up eventually, but recently realized I may have to switch tactics. Everything else is spot on (infact her math facts far surpass her 9 year old brother), but she has not been able to consistency recognize letters or sounds. Any sort of blending or short sentence reading is out too. We have been drilling the alphabet daily and I notice just that has helped little by little, but I'm thinking the Jr. Kindergarten may be the answer.

Comment

I would also encourage you to call the office if at all possible and we can delve further into what you tried, how it worked and form a game plan specific to your child’s needs. It is sometimes easier over the phone. On Wednesday I will be in the office all day.

Blessings,
          Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelina View Post
            Thanks for the replies.

I will take a look at the checklist. We did half of kindergarten last year when she was 5 and are completing this year (she is now 6) We did the "A" book twice for review and I guess I thought she would pick it up eventually, but recently realized I may have to switch tactics. Everything else is spot on (infact her math facts far surpass her 9 year old brother), but she has not been able to consistency recognize letters or sounds. Any sort of blending or short sentence reading is out too. We have been drilling the alphabet daily and I notice just that has helped little by little, but I'm thinking the Jr. Kindergarten may be the answer.
            Evangelina,

Calling and talking to Michelle would be a great thing to do, if you can swing it. I also wanted to offer that it can sometimes catch us off-guard when a younger sibling has a different time-frame than an older one. I have a current 6 year old also, and when I started her on the "regular" routine I used with her older siblings, it was just.not.working. The same sort of thing you describe is where we were - no matter how many times we went over the alphabet, it didn't stick. So we just stayed at the level of learning the alphabet, and trying to add in the sounds. Eventually, it did stick, and so did the sounds, so we started trying to blend into short stories last summer, thinking I would start her in K as a 5 year old. But there again we had to take a total pause. While she could do rudimentary blending, there was a LOT of random guessing - way to much random guessing! And she never had that "aha moment" that my others all had where she just took off and became a reader. So, we hung out last year, cementing letter sounds, practicing the same Bob books over and over, and making only very, very slow progress. This year she started K fresh and it has been great. She seems so perfectly suited to it now. She is super-excited that she will get to start a story this week!

The point of all of this background on MY kid is that sometimes they just need more time. Maybe what you did last year didn't really "stick" and you need to back up a bit to really get the letters and sounds down. Maybe doing that for a couple of months will give her what she needs to pick up at the beginning of January and move forward. I am sure Michelle will help you figure out a plan, but I just wanted to chime in and offer some moral support too! (and if there are any other underlying issues, I hope you are able to figure that out as well. My daughter does not seem to have any issues that kept her at a slower pace than her siblings, she just has her own personal pace of adorable cuteness!)

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 8
            DD, 6
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelina View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

Hi Evangelina,

I'm sure you will be able to work out a good plan with the MP staff and may find you don't actually need to purchase anything new, but if you want to use MP's Jr K materials, I would think the curriculum manual (the Jr K recitation includes some Alphabet practice and information) and these Alphabet books: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...lphabet-books/
              would probably be all you would need. I would get the Alphabet Flashcards too, if you don't already have something similar. There is also an Alphabet Coloring Book, if you want more exposure.

I am using these materials with my 5 year old son--repeating from last year, when he wasn't ready. We spend a few minutes a day practicing the letters in a couple different formats. Like Sarah said above, it may not even take a whole year's worth of Jr K curriculum--maybe just a few months on the Alphabet and your daughter will be able to start back on the phonics lessons.
              Catherine

2020-21
              DS17
              DS15
              DS13
              DD13
              DS8
              DD5
              DS 2.5

Homeschooling 4 with MP
              2 in classical school

Comment

Jumping over from the Special Needs Forum.

You may want to look at Simply Classical C. It's very similar to Jr.K, but different. It includes lots of great multi-sensory learning techniques to help these concepts sink in.

You don't need to purchase the whole she-bang. You can purchase just the alphabet / phonics portion of the teaching material. That would be my recommendation. Just replace your current phonics with Simply Classical C.

At the completion of Simply Classical C she could easily transition to K phonics or continue in Simply Classical for reading instruction.

This would definitely be something to discuss with Michelle T or pop over to the Special Needs forum.
                Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Working...
                X