Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parsing Guide ----

Latin expert peeps .....

Can you all give me a quick and dirty parsing guide (or whatever you want to call it)? I took notes about this during the Teacher Training, but of course, can't find my notes. (is anyone surprised?)

The notes I took discussed step by step guide to translating a sentence --- Nouns, including case, gender, number, etc; then Verbs, etc.
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Re: Parsing Guide ----

I'm away from my things, but I feel like there's something like this in the Second Form teacher's manual. Have you checked there? I think it is in introductory material at the beginning.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      I'm away from my things, but I feel like there's something like this in the Second Form teacher's manual. Have you checked there? I think it is in introductory material at the beginning.

SFL is packed away ---- but thanks for that as a resource, too. I found sort of one on line ..... but I'm having to add notes to it as well.

Michael --- will you add "parsing guide for parents" to that resource you're creating?
      Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
      DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
      DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
      DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
      DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
      DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

DK-I'm texting you some images. I remembered that it was in the Second Form Review Guide student book that there was a parsing and translation guide. It's very helpful!

For those who are curious, you can follow the link above to the Review Guide and see the Parsing/Translation Guide yourself!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2020-2021
        11th year HSing · 9th year MP
        @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
        11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I wasn't at the training, and I didn't read the beginning of SFL (oops! I blame the craziness of moving!), but basically

label the following
          nouns/adjectives: gender number, case, meaning
          verbs: person, number, tense, voice, mood, meaning
          any other part of speech: just meaning

then
          1) Find your verb.
          2) See if you have a nominative (rather than just personal pronoun) that agrees with your verb.
          3) Identify any direct objects/indirect objects.
          4) Match adjectives to their antecedents (nouns of same gender, number, case, NOT necessarily declension)
          5) Plug in any adverbs, conjunctions, prepositional phrases, etc. (Generally simple enough, at least when the above are done)

I am not far enough along with my kids to know at what point in the forms you hit participles and such, but at least until then, I would guess the above should suffice.

Does that help?
          Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys (7A, 6M, 2), classics major

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
            SFL is packed away ---- but thanks for that as a resource, too. I found sort of one on line ..... but I'm having to add notes to it as well.

Michael --- will you add "parsing guide for parents" to that resource you're creating?
            It should already exist As Jessica noted, there's one in both FFL and SFL Review. There's also one in our guide for Mueller.

Essentially, to parse is to analyze all the parts of a word as Amanda explained. These parts are taught and expanded in the Forms when a new part of speech is introduced, e.g. verbs and nouns in FFL, pronouns in SFL, perfect participles in TFL, etc.

HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
            X