Horatius at the Bridge scheduling questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horatius at the Bridge scheduling questions

DD12 has started to memorize HatB and has the first 3 verses down. She'd like to memorize the entire poem and I'm using the plans another kind soul shared here awhile back. (Completely spacing who that was - so sorry!)

I know that FMoG is started later so that the first 12 weeks can be dedicated to Horatius; however, I still wonder if the entire 70 verses can really be completed in that time frame. Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone completed the full poem in 12 or 13 weeks? If so, would you recommend that time frame if you had it to do over again?
    2. Has anyone just taken the entire year (at around 2 or 3 verses per week) to do this? Thought on this, too, please!
    3. Do the HLS kids do this in 12 weeks?

Here's what I'm doing so far to help DD12 in this quest for Total Horatius Domination:

1. I've made flashcards, one verse to a flashcard, with verse on one side and verse # on the back
    2. I made a tape recording of myself reading the poem so that she can listen over and over and over...
    3. I've copied the aforementioned 13-week schedule into her CG so that we can stay on track
    4. I'm praying like mad *LOL*

I think I have a serious case of self-doubt. Am I overthinking this?
    Last edited by Mary; 10-15-2017, 10:00 PM. Reason: Misspelled "Horatius" in the title! *smacks head*
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Re: Hroatius at the Bridge scheduling questions

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
    DD12 has started to memorize HatB and has the first 3 verses down. She'd like to memorize the entire poem and I'm using the plans another kind soul shared here awhile back. (Completely spacing who that was - so sorry!)

I know that FMoG is started later so that the first 12 weeks can be dedicated to Horatius; however, I still wonder if the entire 70 verses can really be completed in that time frame. Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone completed the full poem in 12 or 13 weeks? If so, would you recommend that time frame if you had it to do over again?
    2. Has anyone just taken the entire year (at around 2 or 3 verses per week) to do this? Thought on this, too, please!
    3. Do the HLS kids do this in 12 weeks?

Here's what I'm doing so far to help DD12 in this quest for Total Horatius Domination:

1. I've made flashcards, one verse to a flashcard, with verse on one side and verse # on the back
    2. I made a tape recording of myself reading the poem so that she can listen over and over and over...
    3. I've copied the aforementioned 13-week schedule into her CG so that we can stay on track
    4. I'm praying like mad *LOL*

I think I have a serious case of self-doubt. Am I overthinking this?
    I'm also worried about Horatius- I know my dd who is 12 but working mostly in 6M will do it next year.

So I don't know if I can say anything about this of value. But you seem a bit stressed about it, and from what little I know of poetry, it is definitely the "delight" portion of learning. I think a kid can learn a really hard poem in no time flat, if they just love it. It is crazy how fast my kids memorize long but funny poems that are just for fun, for example. I think if you can find a way to make this poem truly delightful and not a chore, she'll just learn it- with lesson plans, without lesson plans...

I've been reading Little Britches aloud to my kids lately, what a treat- and there is one part in it where the small Ralph Moody gets into mischief, and hopes like heck that while the others are at the creek playing, they will get their mum to recite Horatius so that he'll get away with what he's trying to do before they get back home. Having mum recite Horatius is clearly a big treat to these kids. How cool is that? Delectare....find it somehow and she'll learn it, 12 weeks , a year, whatever it takes. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Mary, I agree with the previous post about delighting in this endeavor rather than stressing over it too much. You know your child the best, to know how much pushing is appropriate for different circumstances, but this is one activity that I view as a maturity-building opportunity. I explain the purpose and significance of doing it, but the responsibility rests solely on their shoulders to do it. It helps that the kids have been memorizing poetry all the way along - so they know the sense of satisfaction/delight that comes from the practice. This is like that effect, but on steroids. If what you have done will help them, great, but resist the urge to make this a "school" thing like math facts. You want them to "tell" the poem, rather than just "say" the poem - does that make sense?

We were actually just talking about this tonight . We had our first cool evening, so we had our first bonfire of the season. I asked J how HATB was going, and would she share it with us - which she wouldn't, but her older sister recited Paul Revere's Ride - up to where she couldn't remember, which J then finished for her. It was great! And it was totally the reason i want these guys to have this material in their heads. With the cool evening, the dark creeping in, the stars coming out - and a powerful story told in verse. Everyone loved it. THAT is what you want her to be able to do, you know?

(And I think it was good motivation for A to go back and brush up on his memory of HATB for next time!)

AMDG,
      Sarah

P.S. I forgot to add - part of it being their responsibility is that I don't stress over the pace. My son did it for several months, stalled at stanza 38 or so, took a month or so "off" and then came back to it even more determined. All in all, he may have spent 6 months on it - but he did it, and that's what matters to us.
      Last edited by KF2000; 10-15-2017, 09:13 PM.
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Thanks for, Sarah and Maria!

I am actually not stressed about her learning the poem - she's quite motivated to do this. I think the worry comes from trying to get it done in 12 weeks, especially given her (improving, but still very much there) medical issues that tire her out/can mess with our schedule. DD12 is very excited but I know very well that, especially with cold and flu season knocking on our door, she is really going to have trouble getting this done in such a short time frame.

After reading your responses I smacked my head - quite literally - and realized that we can just stretch this out over the year. If she averages 2 verses per week, she can easily get this done at the end of our school year. If she does more, fantastic. I think I had it in mind that along with that 12-week window, there was a deadline to submit her video. It did not occur to me that we can send this in anytime. *Oops* If we're not chomping at the bit to get this done, I really don't need to be that involved. Whew. We'll both enjoy this a lot more without the time pressure.

I do have a lovely set of color-coded flashcards that will come in very handy not only for her, but also for the other two who come up behind her.
        Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Perfect! Sounds like you will be all set...

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Mary,
            I don't think you are asking this, but no, no one memorizes 70-stanzas in 12 weeks. That's the timeline for memorizing the 24 stanzas that give the general plot sweep of the poem. Interested students then work on their own to get the others down before a spring time recitation.

DD11 is working hard on it with others in her FMOG class from cottage school. I think they are up to 18 stanzas for tomorrow? DS13 stalled at 48. I'm hoping his competitive spirit is kindled and he gives it another go. So far, it's not.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
            DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
            DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
            DD 7th • HLN & Home
            DS 4th • HLN & Home
            Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Jessica - that is exactly what I was asking.

There was a thread awhile back in which someone posted an alternate HatB schedule, which I printed and tucked away to use with dd12 this year. (Contrary to what I'd posted on OrthodoxMomof7's thread recently, they weren't purloined by DS and used for paper airplanes!) Since the CGs don't contain a complete schedule for memorizing HatB, ot was my understanding that this alternate schedule could be substituted for those students who want to memorize the whole thing. **And I may have misunderstood something along the way!**

I had copied this into dd''s CG and didn't think much of it until this weekend, when we were making flashcards and recordings because the alternate schedule still has HatB scheduled for only 13 weeks, but learning the *entire* poem. It boils down to often learning a new verse each day/3 or 4 verses each week. THIS is why I was so involved in her HatB because, even though she is self-motivated, it is a monumental ask to have a 12-year-old effectively learning 70 verses (560 lines!) of poetry in 12 or 13 weeks, along with all other regular coursework. *eek!* Well, it seemed like a huge lift to this motley fool.

I wanted to know if I was the only parent who had tried this/thought it looked like a bit much. She will be the one doing the work but it's helpful for me to know how other families have handled this so that I can help provide a framework for her. It is a huge relief to know that your kids weren't cramming this in over the course of 3 months. At that pace, it doesn't seem quite as delightful. *LOL*

**This is in no way a dig at the sweet soul who posted those alternate plans! I may very well have misread them - and there may be some fantastic kiddo who can really do this in a short time.**
              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

There was a thread awhile back in which someone posted an alternate HatB schedule, which I printed and tucked away to use with dd12 this year.

Hi Mary,

Betcha this is what you were looking for: https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...ans&highlight=

Jen
                DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
                  Hi Mary,

Betcha this is what you were looking for: https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...ans&highlight=
                  You betcha!

That's the one. It was posted in May and, since I knew dd would be doing HatB this year, I printed it and put it with her 7M materials. I didn't really look at it but now, combined with all the other things we're doing with school, I realize that it really isn't feasible *for her* to get all 70 verses learned in 12 weeks. Also, I assumed others were following that schedule and that they might be able to give some insight or advice. However, I think I'm the only one using it at this point - at least the only one commenting on the forum, anyway. Perhaps Cheryl in CA will see this and give us her perspective!

Now, I have to resume my erasing/re-writing in her CG. Thanks again, Jen, for introducing the MP world (namely me) to the beauty of the Frixion erasable pen. <3<3
                  Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Re: Horatius at the Bridge scheduling questions

For what it's worth, our pace is about three stanzas per week. With Third Form Latin going on in the background, that's enough.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                    DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
                    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
                    DD 7th • HLN & Home
                    DS 4th • HLN & Home
                    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

You betcha!

That's the one. It was posted in May and, since I knew dd would be doing HatB this year, I printed it and put it with her 7M materials. I didn't really look at it but now, combined with all the other things we're doing with school, I realize that it really isn't feasible *for her* to get all 70 verses learned in 12 weeks. Also, I assumed others were following that schedule and that they might be able to give some insight or advice. However, I think I'm the only one using it at this point - at least the only one commenting on the forum, anyway. Perhaps Cheryl in CA will see this and give us her perspective!

Now, I have to resume my erasing/re-writing in her CG. Thanks again, Jen, for introducing the MP world (namely me) to the beauty of the Frixion erasable pen. <3<3
                      Sorry, I've been pretty MIA the last couple of months. My daughter did indeed memorize the entire poem in 13 weeks. I wrote the schedule for her, and that is what she wanted to do. I seriously doubt that my other children will not memorize the entire poem. When they do it, I'll edit it for them (using the abbreviated memorization schedule). I prefer to the two books split up instead of scheduled at the same time, so I won't be changing that (I find it confusing).
                      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                      ds 25, graduated
                      dd 11th Grade
                      dd 8th Grade
                      ds 6th Grade

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                        Mary,
                        I don't think you are asking this, but no, no one memorizes 70-stanzas in 12 weeks. That's the timeline for memorizing the 24 stanzas that give the general plot sweep of the poem. Interested students then work on their own to get the others down before a spring time recitation.

DD11 is working hard on it with others in her FMOG class from cottage school. I think they are up to 18 stanzas for tomorrow? DS13 stalled at 48. I'm hoping his competitive spirit is kindled and he gives it another go. So far, it's not.
                        My dd did :-) But, that was what she wanted to do, and she is an exceptional student with an unbelievable memory. I made the schedule for her. I'm pretty certain that my younger children will just do the 24 stanzas (if they do that - my other dd will not likely be interested and my son is special needs). When my next dd gets to Horatius, I'll post the schedule I made for her. It will likely be more useful to others, but I only made the schedule I needed at the time, LOL.
                        Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                        ds 25, graduated
                        dd 11th Grade
                        dd 8th Grade
                        ds 6th Grade

Comment

Ahhh, thank you for clearing that up, Cheryl! I think it's fantastic that your dd was able to pull that off in 13 weeks! I am amending the plans you posted to spread this throughout the year for my dd. Even though a 13-week plan won't work for her, it *is* nice to have a written plan for memorizing the entire epic and for that, I thank you. <3
                          Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Ahhh, thank you for clearing that up, Cheryl! I think it's fantastic that your dd was able to pull that off in 13 weeks! I am amending the plans you posted to spread this throughout the year for my dd. Even though a 13-week plan won't work for her, it *is* nice to have a written plan for memorizing the entire epic and for that, I thank you. <3
                            You're welcome :-) My suggestion would be to extend only the memorization throughout the year (not touching the Horatius or FMOG lessons plans). I would find memorizing the stanzas out of order very confusing and counterproductive.
                            Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                            ds 25, graduated
                            dd 11th Grade
                            dd 8th Grade
                            ds 6th Grade

Comment

Absolutely. Am keeping the FMoG plans as written and just stretching memorization to 30 weeks. Again, your plans do make that pretty easy to do.
                              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
                              X