Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

Well, I am updating our status on this, for anyone interested. We did lessons yesterday, and my younger ones are happy to stay with Hoffman. But I realize it is not as "easy to use" as it seems, which might be why I felt like it was not working. Something I figured out was that after they watched the video, we did the worksheets together and there was quite a bit of additional teaching that was not as explicit in the video. I think this will be important to continue. Last year, I had them watch, then told them to do the worksheets, and tried to be "hands off" for time sake. That's not going to work.

Also, the worksheets DO give them songs to practice - but they would do them with the worksheet and then move on. So when I would tell them to practice, they would have a blank stare because they did not know what they should play. So now I am keeping a running list of what the lessons tell them to play so they know what to do during their practice time. If we upgraded to premium, I *think* this is what the "practice session" feature of the website would keep track of for them. But I will just have to do it for them.

I think it will still be more helpful to me than not doing it, but I will have to be more involved than I thought initially.

My older two want to continue with the Music Tree books we have, and I am thinking I am going to direct them to their older brother when they need help. Hopefully THAT will be where I finally get a break on music help!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
      But I realize it is not as "easy to use" as it seems, which might be why I felt like it was not working.

Also, the worksheets DO give them songs to practice - but they would do them with the worksheet and then move on. So when I would tell them to practice, they would have a blank stare because they did not know what they should play.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      Good point...save the worksheets with the songs and exercises...I always write it out on a schedule in the front of their binder...each kid has binder of the songs they have learned in plastic sleeves...for my younger ones when it says practice they start at the front and work through the binder and practice each song or exercise ... first left hand however many times in says on their schedule...then right hand then both together...sometimes higher or lower ... we have a digital piano too so after they practice I let them switch sound settings up and replay them for fun ...dd has been doing all her practicing on the "organ" setting because she thinks it sounds "spooky"

My older kiddo gets more freedom to practice as he wants.

Practicing I realized after having similar struggles is like studying ...it seems simple enough but they have to be shown specifically how to do it and more than once ha.
      DD - Graduated!
      DS - core 12 with remediation/support
      DD - core 9 with remediation/support
      DS - core 7 with remediation/support

Comment

Working...
      X