Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

    Hi guys! We were using Hoffman Academy last year for piano for our younger set, and at first we really liked it. But it seemed like it took a ton of videos to learn a very small amount of content - and therefore my kids got bored with it and dropped it. Have others continued past the first couple of units? Did it ever pick up the pace and really help?

    Or are there other options people have found helpful? I am always optimistic about teaching them, but we just never get around to it. Something that could guide them through on their own would be great - which is why Hoffman appealed to me. Any other ideas y'all have found helpful?

    Thanks!
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

    #2
    Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

    Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Hi guys! We were using Hoffman Academy last year for piano for our younger set, and at first we really liked it. But it seemed like it took a ton of videos to learn a very small amount of content - and therefore my kids got bored with it and dropped it. Have others continued past the first couple of units? Did it ever pick up the pace and really help?

    Or are there other options people have found helpful? I am always optimistic about teaching them, but we just never get around to it. Something that could guide them through on their own would be great - which is why Hoffman appealed to me. Any other ideas y'all have found helpful?

    Thanks!
    Sarah
    This is funny, just yesterday I was going to ask about the Hoffman Academy on the forum. My almost six year old has been doing the free lessons. I was wondering if it is worth it to pay and get the practice lessons and worksheets. I had ordered the Bastien beginner set of books, but find online videos much easier and we haven't done many of the workbook lessons. I'm tired.
    Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

    Comment


      #3
      Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

      Albert Franz has free piano lessons on his website "keynotes." If you don't know who he is, think world famous concert pianist offering free lessons online. Quite amazing. I think there is a portion you can pay for too. It looks really good. https://www.key-notes.com/pages/albert-frantz

      Comment


        #4
        Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

        ETA: sorry, from a cursory glance it looks like it is only a paid course now- I think there used to be a lot of free video lessons but either I was wrong or that has changed: https://www.key-notes.com/store/VQLr5JYm

        Comment


          #5
          Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

          Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
          ETA: sorry, from a cursory glance it looks like it is only a paid course now- I think there used to be a lot of free video lessons but either I was wrong or that has changed: https://www.key-notes.com/store/VQLr5JYm
          Thanks for mentioning it! I will check it out...

          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

          Comment


            #6
            Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

            Originally posted by AlexandraMarie View Post
            This is funny, just yesterday I was going to ask about the Hoffman Academy on the forum. My almost six year old has been doing the free lessons. I was wondering if it is worth it to pay and get the practice lessons and worksheets. I had ordered the Bastien beginner set of books, but find online videos much easier and we haven't done many of the workbook lessons. I'm tired.
            I really liked it, especially for my younger ones. My 8/10 years olds tired of it faster than my 6/4 year olds (they would watch too, and tinker around on the piano - and picked up quite a lot for their ages!)

            And I did get the worksheets last year - half off for the whole set of what was available then. All really well-done and cute, but just really slow. Since the worksheets are tied to the videos, it's really the videos that drive the pace. My kids were learning, but it seemed like it took forever for them to get up to a "piece" they could play. We used a series of books called "The Music Tree" with my older two, and they had a lot to practice every day right off the bat, and made great progress in about four years. My kids never got to a single longish song with Hoffman, and we did it for several months...

            Hoping for more options!
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

            Comment


              #7
              Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

              Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
              I really liked it, especially for my younger ones. My 8/10 years olds tired of it faster than my 6/4 year olds (they would watch too, and tinker around on the piano - and picked up quite a lot for their ages!)

              And I did get the worksheets last year - half off for the whole set of what was available then. All really well-done and cute, but just really slow. Since the worksheets are tied to the videos, it's really the videos that drive the pace. My kids were learning, but it seemed like it took forever for them to get up to a "piece" they could play. We used a series of books called "The Music Tree" with my older two, and they had a lot to practice every day right off the bat, and made great progress in about four years. My kids never got to a single longish song with Hoffman, and we did it for several months...

              Hoping for more options!
              AMDG,
              Sarah
              We're using Hoffman Academy, but only on lesson 23. It is sloooow. But for my 5 and 6 year old it's about right. Mr. Hoffman is just starting to introduce reading notes on the staff, and recently started teaching chords in the left hands. My kids think they are big stuff when they play with both hands at the same time. I can see how slightly older kids would need to move much faster. We do 1 or 2 lessons per week.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

                Mary (aka OrthodoxHandmaiden) mentioned someone called The Piano Man or something similar that she found online awhile back (?) Let me see if I can find the thread before she chimes in (in order to save her work).
                Last edited by Anita; 10-13-2017, 08:06 PM. Reason: Autocorrect: WTH?!
                “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

                ~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
                Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

                  Originally posted by Anita View Post
                  Mary (aka OrthodoxHandmaiden) mentioned someone called The Piano Man or something similar that she found online awhile back (?) Let me see if I can find the thread before she chimes in (in order to save her work).
                  AHAAAAAA! The power of technology compels you!

                  https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...-homeschoolers
                  “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

                  ~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                  Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                  Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                  Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
                  Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

                    Originally posted by Anita View Post
                    AHAAAAAA! The power of technology compels you!

                    https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...-homeschoolers
                    ******. This is Hoffman Academy.

                    ....

                    Nevermind. I got nothing.

                    As you were.
                    “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

                    ~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                    Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                    Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                    Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
                    Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

                      No, it's okay, really. I have been searching this evening as well - we had early dinner (shocker!!!) and so I had some time while they played outside. Comparing things to Hoffman Academy is coming up short. So I relooked through the materials we still have (can download as many times as I want - nice!) and am thinking that we need to just stick with this and be better disciplined about it. There really is an amazing amount of material he covers, and it fits the pocketbook (as in - the videos are free, and we already paid for the materials last year). I would like to subscribe, because then you get the practice set option - which I assume gives your kids what they are supposed to do every day to practice. But that will take some more thought. All these "monthly subscription" things drive me nuts.

                      AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                      DS, 17
                      DD, 15
                      DD, 13
                      DD, 11
                      DD, 9
                      DD, 7
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

                        Monthly subscriptions indeed. I’m a hater when it comes to that. I understand the practicality of the business model (people are lazy = a steady income for the service provider) but I hate being roped in to something that renews every month without my say so.

                        Hoped I was helpful (?)
                        “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

                        ~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                        Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                        Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                        Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
                        Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

                          Originally posted by Anita View Post
                          ******. This is Hoffman Academy.

                          ....

                          Nevermind. I got nothing.

                          As you were.

                          I am crying laughing. Not AT you, Anita, but with you. You sound like me trying to figure out technology! *goes back to laughing while family stares*

                          1. My dd12 is teaching my dd6 using Hoffman Academy. DD6 is my independent little miss who does not like for Mommy to sit with her to do a lesson. So Big Sister has come to the rescue!

                          2. DD12 had a few years of formal lessons under her belt but uses HA to help cement concepts she missed entirely or didn't "get" the first time around with lessons. She's at about lesson 115 right now. That being said, she is very self-motivated, has the foundation from the aforementioned "real" lessons in the past and she is using this for one specific purpose. Okay, two reasons - truth be told, she thinks the puppet shows right up there with Monty Python on the hilarity scale.

                          3. DS10 loathed his "real" piano lessons and just doesn't like piano. He will run in to watch the HA puppet shows at the end of each of his sisters' lessons and he likes Mr. Hoffman's soothing voice, but he wants nothing to do with learning notes and finger placement and chords. ("Mommy, I think Latin is enough.") He really enjoys listening to Big Band Jazz (does that require capitalization?) and will watch all of my PBS music specials with me, but he has zero interest in learning to play himself. Instead, he's the one using the Simply Music program. You can find it here. He likes knowing which "finger number" to put on each key and having a song emerge. Go figure.

                          **I will caution you that Simply Music is not a traditional piano course. This works really well for my little odd duck DS but I don't expect him to be a concert pianist - I just want him to learn something and it's nice for him to just be able to play for enjoyment. There's a neat YouTube presentation by the founder here
                          Mary

                          DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                          DD8 - SC level 2

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

                            We are on our hmmm Third? 4th? (Idk it all blends together ha) year with Hoffman...my 8, 10, and 13 yr still old use it and yes my oldest is less enthused these days than he was when he was little but our rule is music lessons through 8th grade so he is hanging in there...

                            There are some places where it bogs down a bit but does pick back up.
                            Not all kids need to do one video a day or week....that would be slow for older kids... sometimes we may do a couple in a day depending on content...
                            DD - Graduated!
                            DS - core 12 with remediation/support
                            DD - core 9 with remediation/support
                            DS - core 7 with remediation/support

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: OT: Are people still using Hoffman Academy?

                              Yes, that is where I think the wheels fell off last year - the older ones just did not go fast enough through the early lessons. We will try going through at a faster clip to see if that helps them maintain interest and motivation.

                              AMDG,
                              Sarah
                              2020-2021
                              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                              DS, 17
                              DD, 15
                              DD, 13
                              DD, 11
                              DD, 9
                              DD, 7
                              +DS+
                              DS, 2

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X