Memorisation Tool: Anki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorisation Tool: Anki

We have been using (over the past couple of weeks), a flash card app called 'Anki'. You can get it free on a desktop, I've got the (super-expensive) app because I only have an iPad during the day (my husband takes laptop to work - you do need a desktop for setup).

The great thing about Anki is that it is spaced repetition so you note after each flash card answer whether you got the flash card wrong/right and there are usually other options for if it was easy/harder. And then it spaces them so you are only repeating the cards as much as necessary. My daughter is loving that now the program has spaced out her cards (starting at week 22 wasn't ideal), she only had 15 Latin flash cards to do today. And it's helping her learn as we focus on some of the words she finds more difficult...she can't finish the deck until she has got every question correct. I'm using it for recitation for her and my son (doing SCC) too. Another bonus is because it's spaced out and not as time consuming, we are just in the habit now of doing Latin/Recitation/Poetry everyday (I will be adding Bible verses etc soon) straight after breakfast...and there is not the temptation of 'leaving it' if we're tired/the day is going pear-shaped that we had before.

It does require more setup than something like Quizlet, and I must confess I have not done any more than type in flash card content, my husband took care of the other setup.

My husband used Anki when he was studying German, Hebrew, Latin, Greek and French when he was doing his doctorate and he has been telling me for ages how good it is...but I've been put off by the $AU38.99 cost for App! So glad we got it now though!

Thought I'd share in case it might help anyone else.
    Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
    Miriam 9yo Latina Christiana, R&S4, IEW Phonetic Zoo, IEW Grammar
    Jonny 7yo (Special Needs) SC1 Phonics, R&S1
    Elissa (almost) 4yo K phonics, R&S Preschool books

Together this term (in Circle Time) we are doing Bible time with SC1 Story Bible and our own memorisation/songs, Myself and Others 2, Homer Price, Greek Myths, IEW Poetry Memorisation, speech therapy, The Body Book, Artventure and picture books from SCB/SC1 etc.

Thomas 17 months

Re: Memorisation Tool: Anki

Originally posted by sarahandrew View Post
    We have been using (over the past couple of weeks), a flash card app called 'Anki'. You can get it free on a desktop, I've got the (super-expensive) app because I only have an iPad during the day (my husband takes laptop to work - you do need a desktop for setup).

The great thing about Anki is that it is spaced repetition so you note after each flash card answer whether you got the flash card wrong/right and there are usually other options for if it was easy/harder. And then it spaces them so you are only repeating the cards as much as necessary. My daughter is loving that now the program has spaced out her cards (starting at week 22 wasn't ideal), she only had 15 Latin flash cards to do today. And it's helping her learn as we focus on some of the words she finds more difficult...she can't finish the deck until she has got every question correct. I'm using it for recitation for her and my son (doing SCC) too. Another bonus is because it's spaced out and not as time consuming, we are just in the habit now of doing Latin/Recitation/Poetry everyday (I will be adding Bible verses etc soon) straight after breakfast...and there is not the temptation of 'leaving it' if we're tired/the day is going pear-shaped that we had before.

It does require more setup than something like Quizlet, and I must confess I have not done any more than type in flash card content, my husband took care of the other setup.

My husband used Anki when he was studying German, Hebrew, Latin, Greek and French when he was doing his doctorate and he has been telling me for ages how good it is...but I've been put off by the $AU38.99 cost for App! So glad we got it now though!

Thought I'd share in case it might help anyone else.
    My husband and I also use anki for learning Chinese. I love the spaced repetition. Never thought of making an Anki deck of flashcards for the kids though! They're just starting to learn to read characters; they would probably think it's awesome to get some highly coveted screen time to practice character recognition.

Also, I think the Anki app is free for non apple devices. I have a Samsung smart phone and didn't pay a penny.

Comment

Working...
    X