Giftable Readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giftable Readers

Quick question: Any suggestions for delightful/beautiful books for a young reader that would make a suitable birthday gift? DS turns 7 in a couple weeks and I want to encourage his reading! We own lots of Seuss and all the MP readers, but I want something new that he could pick up on his own for leisure time/bed time reading. TIA!
    2021-2022 7th year with MP

DS10 5A
    DD8 3A
    DD6 1
    DS3 PS

Re: Giftable Readers

Originally posted by AudreyN View Post
    Quick question: Any suggestions for delightful/beautiful books for a young reader that would make a suitable birthday gift? DS turns 7 in a couple weeks and I want to encourage his reading! We own lots of Seuss and all the MP readers, but I want something new that he could pick up on his own for leisure time/bed time reading. TIA!
    Scroll down to post 4, to find all the book lists you'll ever need.
    Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
    DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
    DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
    DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

We have a special treat of actually walking into a bookstore to let siblings help pick out books for birthdays, and one thing we noticed recently was that Barnes and Noble started reprinting many classic children's books in hardcover with beautiful covers and illustrations. We got our 8 year old Peter Pan, and then I also snagged the Howard Pyle Robin Hood and King Arthur, because we love his versions of those. They are gorgeous - and if I remember right, only $10 per book.

They had many many good ones to choose from (even for older people too).

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Second grade was the Magic Tree House year for bedtime reading. Although the books in the series are not "classic children's literature", they suited my son in that they were full of adventure, a wide range of topics, and approachable for him. They also come in boxed sets. He enjoyed selecting certain topics, but they are also written in a sequence to solve an overall mystery, so I do admit that he wanted to early books in order until he understood the overarching magic of the tree house.

Jen
        DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          We have a special treat of actually walking into a bookstore to let siblings help pick out books for birthdays, and one thing we noticed recently was that Barnes and Noble started reprinting many classic children's books in hardcover with beautiful covers and illustrations. We got our 8 year old Peter Pan, and then I also snagged the Howard Pyle Robin Hood and King Arthur, because we love his versions of those. They are gorgeous - and if I remember right, only $10 per book.

They had many many good ones to choose from (even for older people too).

AMDG,
          Sarah
          I just saw in my email that B&N has select books in the collectible edition at buy 1, get 1 50% off this weekend.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Thanks all! This is so helpful!
            2021-2022 7th year with MP

DS10 5A