Quick question: Rod and Staff 1 vs MPK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quick question: Rod and Staff 1 vs MPK

On the topic of music, I like Classical music, but trying to explain it to young children can be difficult. Plus, I feel like my daughter is missing out on the fun things we did in music class when I was in school. I am seriously considering finding a curriculum that teaches fun songs and rhythm and other basics. All that to say, if you like what R&S has to offer for music, add it in. Don’t feel bad for not learning about composers and new classical pieces every week. Another thought is if you don’t mind using the TV, Little Einsteins is available on Netflix and it has a cute story while featuring a piece of art and a classical song. It could be your enrichment for the week. 😊
    --Amanda

DD #1 - 4th
    DD #2 - 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
      Isn't it funny how different kids from the same family can be? I did buy AAR1 for my little guy because he really isn't writing yet at 4. He loves it mostly because of the ziggy puppet and the ziggy games. It is always "can ziggy read with us?" And then we have to go FIND the ziggy puppet. It would have been good for kid#3 but it is pretty much overkill for this kid. We might have a two minute lesson (he likes change the word), play the games for the lesson, and read a story each day. We do play the ziggy file folder games with the word cards because he loves them. His older brother will play as well, but he gets a spelling word instead of a reading word. I am debating about whether to continue with level 2 (we probably will) but I doubt we will go all the way through. Out of curiosity...what level of AAR lines up with the start of MP1?
      I'm using AAR with my oldest two. My oldest is between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way done with level 2 and Little Bear/Little Bear's Visit are coming along easily for him. I am using STT like a literature/writing program. But Christine is right, the two programs don't line up. Unless you went all the way through level 3 you wouldn't cover everything from FSR A-E. There are also many more common words taught with FSR. I handle this by just telling him what a word is and moving on. I know he'll learn that phonics topic eventually with AAR. If you wanted to go from AAR level 1 to MP 1, you could do FSR E and probably be okay, especially if you spent some time learning the common words.
      Susan

2021-2022
      A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
      C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
      G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
        I'm using AAR with my oldest two. My oldest is between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way done with level 2 and Little Bear/Little Bear's Visit are coming along easily for him. I am using STT like a literature/writing program. But Christine is right, the two programs don't line up. Unless you went all the way through level 3 you wouldn't cover everything from FSR A-E. There are also many more common words taught with FSR. I handle this by just telling him what a word is and moving on. I know he'll learn that phonics topic eventually with AAR. If you wanted to go from AAR level 1 to MP 1, you could do FSR E and probably be okay, especially if you spent some time learning the common words.
        Thanks Christine and Susan,

I was just sort of curious about how they lined up. I never did MP K and started MP1 with two boys about 3 years apart. The first time I taught MP 1 there was no FSR reading E and no summer bridge lessons and it just dropped right into Little Bear and exploded from there. We struggled through, but that was when I found AAS (AAR might only have had level 1 written) and I then left MP cores for a couple of years. I know there are many more resources now and schedules have been shuffled around so MP1 is a different beast. Trying to figure out how many levels I might need and how to pace. AAR is overkill, but I picked it because he is young and not writing yet and I needed some framework that didn't involve making him sit at the table. I don't know what I will do with this guy in the long run...a big part will depend when is willing to start writing, but I have no desire to go from AAR1 to MP1 anytime soon since he won't be 4 1/2 for a few more weeks. Just planning ahead :-)
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
          Thanks Christine and Susan,

I was just sort of curious about how they lined up. I never did MP K and started MP1 with two boys about 3 years apart. The first time I taught MP 1 there was no FSR reading E and no summer bridge lessons and it just dropped right into Little Bear and exploded from there. We struggled through, but that was when I found AAS (AAR might only have had level 1 written) and I then left MP cores for a couple of years. I know there are many more resources now and schedules have been shuffled around so MP1 is a different beast. Trying to figure out how many levels I might need and how to pace. AAR is overkill, but I picked it because he is young and not writing yet and I needed some framework that didn't involve making him sit at the table. I don't know what I will do with this guy in the long run...a big part will depend when is willing to start writing, but I have no desire to go from AAR1 to MP1 anytime soon since he won't be 4 1/2 for a few more weeks. Just planning ahead :-)
          If he is only 4, I would just proceed and see how/where he is at. Do you own AAR2? If you don't, I still might consider FSR, but he might be able to begin book D and then do E. (this still takes a whole semester and you could download the SC2 plans and do the 1st semester of phonics there, before moving to MP1 the next year.) If you do own AAR2, then you could begin MP1 when he is done. It looks like now there are some suggestions for beginning MP1, if you have not completed FSRE. You don't read as many stories in Storytime Treasures, but that seems to be OK!
          Christine

(2021/2022)
          DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
          DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
          DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

I must confess that my spiffy new R&S for both First and Fifth grade sit unused on my shelves. First grade is so complicated it makes D-Day look like a walk in the park and my 5th grader hates (you may have heard the wailing) to write. If you want mine, I will happily ship it to you. It just has to be here-do-this-page consumables for us.

Maeghan

Comment

Originally posted by Meginiowa View Post
              I must confess that my spiffy new R&S for both First and Fifth grade sit unused on my shelves. First grade is so complicated it makes D-Day look like a walk in the park and my 5th grader hates (you may have heard the wailing) to write. If you want mine, I will happily ship it to you. It just has to be here-do-this-page consumables for us.

Maeghan
              R&S was made for classrooms. Like many others, we don't really use the Teacher Manual scripts. For R&S 1, I just look at the current lesson in the Teacher's Manual for the "Follow-up" activities that help prepare students for upcoming concepts. Those are usually meant to be done orally or on a chalkboard so they only take a couple of minutes. Other than that, it's just flashcards and the day's workbook pages. We only do the blacklines that are assigned in MP's plans, not the extensive list given for each lesson in the R&S Teacher's Manual. I did make the felt board, number line and place value chart to use as needed since my daughter thrives on manipulatives.

ETA: for your 5th grader, you can do the "folded paper" concept described in the Teacher's Manual. They fold their paper on the third line and place the fold under the row they're working on. They then work the problems as if they were in a workbook. For the next row, they switch the fold to the sixth line and keep going.
              Last edited by jen1134; 10-14-2017, 02:02 PM.
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
              DS18: Almost done!
              DS17: MP, MPOA
              DS15: MP, MPOA
              DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
              DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
              DD9: SC3
              DD6: MPK

Comment

Maeghan
                Maeghan! MAEGHAN MAEGHAN MAEGHAN! YOU MADE IT TO THE FORUMS! I’m so happy I could squeal!!!! (Y’ALL: Maeghan is my BFF-sister-from-another-mother. You all thought I was crazy fun? I learned it all from Maeghan. We met at Sodalitas this past Summer and instantly fell in love.)
                SO GOOD TO HAVE YOU HERE, SISTER!

(And I’ll pay shipping for R&S First Grade, plus a bonus. No problem.)
                “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
                Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

And good to be here! Miss you to death, Sister! Already warned my family I am taking the whole week next year, so get ready! I may have to send poor Martin some good sipping Bourbon ahead of time

Comment

Text me your snail mail so I can send the R&S. Just the First Grade or do you want the 5th for later? No bonus, Woman, you can buy me a drink in July!

Comment

And good to be here! Miss you to death, Sister! Already warned my family I am taking the whole week next year, so get ready! I may have to send poor Martin some good sipping Bourbon ahead of time
                      And your book list
                      “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri

Comment

Text me your snail mail so I can send the R&S. Just the First Grade or do you want the 5th for later? No bonus, Woman, you can buy me a drink in July!
                        Several drinks.

Address, coming your way!

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri

Comment

Working...
                        X