X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Homeschooling an only child

I'm enjoying following this thread!
    My family is similar to Jen's.
    In two years my older 2 will be gone and I'll have a 3rd grader all alone at home.
    I'm probably going to send him to a 2 day hybrid school at some point much earlier than his siblings went.
    My older 2 do attend a 2 day hybrid at this point which covers about 80% of their academics. One of them still did MPOA classes until this year.
    Little guy is doing MPK and we will continue with MP in full until we decide otherwise, but he will likely do some MP even if he moves on to a
    hybrid school in middle school. This child has a personality that is not likely to do well with too much change, so we will make decisions carefully.

Comment

With a 13 year age gap between my two children, I feel as though I have two "only" children. My older daughter is starting college this year and my younger daughter is starting kindergarten. I can totally relate to all of the responses so far.

We had a wonderful homeschool group when my older daughter was elementary aged. Everyone was trying to follow The Well-Trained Mind to some degree and there were lots of opportunities for social outlets. All of those kids eventually made their way back to away-school when DD was in seventh grade, though, so we decided to make ballet her main social activity since she was already dancing six days a week. Then all of her close friends were moved up to the next level and she was not, and their classes wouldn't have overlapped at all. We tried to find another homeschool group but just couldn't find one where she really clicked with anyone. It was then that we decided to enroll her in high school.

Socially, it was a wonderful fit. She branched out and played on the golf team, ran track, and performed in the school plays. It was wonderful. However, I felt like it was a few steps backwards academically. It was really tough to write that big tuition check every year knowing that I could have offered her more academically than what they were doing. It did all work out in the end but I wish that there would be another option for my younger daughter.

That is the main reason that I got involved with the cottage school in Cincinnati this year. I would love to see that option be available for my younger daughter as she gets to that middle and high school age. We will take it one year at a time, though. Right now, my younger daughter is giving every indication that she will be an introvert so I wonder how that will change our homeschool experience since my older daughter is very extraverted.
      Michelle

Dd20 - homeschooled through 8th grade using WTM, now a junior in college
      Dd7 - mostly MP 3M with Saxon Math, All About Spelling, and First Language Lessons

Comment

Did any of you with only children (or now find yourself homeschooling an "only child" due to age differences) attend Sodalitas 2018? There was a session on homeschooling an only child. I didn't attend because we actually stepped away from homeschooling this year to go to a 5 day/week classical school, but I would love to hear this session. I contacted MP because it wasn't included with the other recordings they have made available, but haven't heard back yet. If I can't get a recording, I'd love to get in touch with the person who lead the session. Thanks!

Comment

Good morning, Kari. I'm sorry no one from MP has responded to you yet. We think your email was forwarded to someone who is traveling right now. To answer your question, we did not film that session. But Jen in Japan, who presented this session is on the forum. I hope this helps!

Originally posted by KariE View Post
          Did any of you with only children (or now find yourself homeschooling an "only child" due to age differences) attend Sodalitas 2018? There was a session on homeschooling an only child. I didn't attend because we actually stepped away from homeschooling this year to go to a 5 day/week classical school, but I would love to hear this session. I contacted MP because it wasn't included with the other recordings they have made available, but haven't heard back yet. If I can't get a recording, I'd love to get in touch with the person who lead the session. Thanks!
          Last edited by ryan; 12-05-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Ryan,

Silly! You have to use the forum name of the presenter.

Yes, that was me. Maybe you could edit your post to show my forum name?

Jen
            DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
              Ryan,

Silly! You have to use the forum name of the presenter.

Yes, that was me. Maybe you could edit your post to show my forum name?

Jen
              Haha! I was wondering if it was you! I'm going to send you a private message later in the day. Thank you Ryan for connecting us.

Comment

I know I am in the minority here, but are there any other MP users who have homeschooled an only child? I would love to connect if so. Feel free to private message me if you'd rather do that.
                This is something I am struggling with . . . and after 6 months of a friend telling me to look into the Forums, I finally made the time :-) We have a 6 (almost 7) year old son. He is the MOST social being I have ever met. I have yet to find other friends nearby who can really click with our family. I have other friends who home school, but they are either too busy because they have many children, or they home school VERY differently (their whole home school day is an hour or less, and he just can't understand why he has SUCH a long 4-5 hour day in comparison to theirs, which produces 6 yo boy drama). I'd love to hear how you motivate a little boy -- who would really rather be playing outside with his dog -- when he doesn't have the sibling example of older brothers / sisters...or younger siblings for whom he can set a good example.

Comment

Originally posted by Annie D View Post

This is something I am struggling with . . . and after 6 months of a friend telling me to look into the Forums, I finally made the time :-) We have a 6 (almost 7) year old son. He is the MOST social being I have ever met. I have yet to find other friends nearby who can really click with our family. I have other friends who home school, but they are either too busy because they have many children, or they home school VERY differently (their whole home school day is an hour or less, and he just can't understand why he has SUCH a long 4-5 hour day in comparison to theirs, which produces 6 yo boy drama). I'd love to hear how you motivate a little boy -- who would really rather be playing outside with his dog -- when he doesn't have the sibling example of older brothers / sisters...or younger siblings for whom he can set a good example.
                  Yay, Annie!!

While I can’t answer the social aspect, I think a big part of this is what you said about the length of your school day. MP1 should only take 1-1/2 to 2 hours max a day...is the fidgeting make it take longer? Does he naturally work more slowly on things? Does he feel like there’s no end in sight so he drags his feet in despair?

If we can help get your school day hours reduced, I think you’ll see a lot of other things fall into place.
                  Last edited by jen1134; 01-05-2019, 09:03 AM.
                  Jennifer
                  Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
                  MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
                  MPOA: High School Comp. II
                  HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
                  MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
                  MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
                  HSC: Modern European History

DS12
                  7M with:
                  Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
                  SC Level 4

DD9
                  3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
                  Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                  SC Level C

Comment

Hello, Annie!

Right off the bat I have to agree with Jen that that is a really long school day. Our sixth child is in first right now, and it’s just as Jen said - we shoot for getting done in under two hours. This is out of necessity so I can work with older siblings, but it also includes round-robin work with her younger sister. Four hours is really long for a guy at this age.

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                    DS, 16
                    DD, 14
                    DD, 12
                    DD, 10
                    DD, 7.5
                    DD, 5.5
                    +DS+
                    DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

MP1 should only take 1-1/2 to 2 hours max a day...is the fidgeting make it take longer? ... Does he feel like there’s no end in sight so he drags his feet in despair?

If we can help get your school day hours reduced, I think you’ll see a lot of other things fall into place.
                      Jen, I think you encapsulated it well: fidgeting and no end in sight. I have implemented a few suggestions, and MOST days are getting better and our school day is shortening. We actually finished in about 2 1/2 hours a couple days last week. This included the MP1 with Enrichment plus Myself & Others and Faith & Life. We through a celebration, bought pizza and allowed no-sugar added ice cream. He was so proud of himself!

Comment

I would use a visual checklist. This gives him a visual cue as to how much he has remaining to do until he's done. This also keeps YOU honest, only doing a day's work...no adding things in because he seems to be having a good day.

I'll include two quick pics of what we use. One is a spreadsheet inside of a page protector. He can use a wet erase marker to gleefully cross things off as he does them each day.

Next is a laminated sheet. I put black Velcro dots on things not assigned to that day and stars for things as they get done.

The spreadsheet one shows the whole week, the other just one day at a time. His age would probably do best with one day at a time.
                        Attached Files
                        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Wet erase! The dry ease do not work well! I will look into this! I have been looking all ver for that template you gave us at Sodalitas a couple years ago. Would you mind sending a file my way?
                          Christine

(2019/2020)
                          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                          DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                          DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by Annie D View Post

Hi Annie, I started this thread when I was homeschooling my only child, but we decided to send her to a 5 day week school this year. We are actually contemplating a return to homeschool, which is a surprise to me because as you know homeschooling an only has it's unique challenges, but I'm also learning from the flip side it has a lot of advantages! I know you mentioned your son is very social. One suggestion I have is to sit with him and ask him what he desires socially. His requests may be unreasonable (such as if he wants a playdate everyday!), but it might be things that are more manageable like outings to the library or field trips or being involved in an extra curricular or church activity. My daughter is actually pretty introverted (I'm the one who is more social, haha!) so her needs are definitely probably different than your son. I think one of the things I have learned is I was more worried about her homeschooling and being lonely than she was, though it is a valid concern and one to be thought through. I think figuring out if your son just wants activities where he is around other people even if he doesn't know them or if he really wants to be around close friends or family members more frequently is important because it may help you identify the best ways to try to meet his social needs. Are you apart of a homeschool group? We homeschooled with a classical tutorial the first year and then two years with a cottage school. These were a blessing to us and helped fill some of the social needs for my only.

One of the blessings of the time you are in right now is, as others have said, school work is still minimal at this age so that allows time in the afternoons for special outings or playing outside that might fill his social tank. I am a by the book "overachiever" type and I will say I was always wanting to fill up our day academically (which is easy to do with an only child), partly because it is extra quiet around the house, but 2 hours a day (which might look more like 3 if you like to take occasional breaks and work more leisurely) is pretty sufficient at that point. My daughter loved having a list to cross off all her assignments or "subjects" as she completed them. Then you have plenty of time to learn through independent or aloud reading and playing for fun or art projects, which is also important for learning and something that away school doesn't allow as much time for.

Feel free to private message me if you'd rather. I'm always happy to talk if you'd like since our situations are not as common in the home education world

Comment

One suggestion I have is to sit with him and ask him what he desires socially . . . things that are more manageable like outings to the library or field trips or being involved in an extra curricular or church activity. ... I think figuring out if your son just wants activities where he is around other people even if he doesn't know them or if he really wants to be around close friends or family members more frequently is important because it may help you identify the best ways to try to meet his social needs. Are you apart of a homeschool group?

One of the blessings of the time you are in right now is, as others have said, school work is still minimal at this age so that allows time in the afternoons for special outings or playing outside that might fill his social tank. I am a by the book "overachiever" type and I will say I was always wanting to fill up our day academically (which is easy to do with an only child), partly because it is extra quiet around the house, but 2 hours a day (which might look more like 3 if you like to take occasional breaks and work more leisurely) is pretty sufficient at that point. My daughter loved having a list to cross off all her assignments or "subjects" as she completed them. Then you have plenty of time to learn through independent or aloud reading and playing for fun or art projects, which is also important for learning and something that away school doesn't allow as much time for.

Feel free to private message me if you'd rather. I'm always happy to talk if you'd like since our situations are not as common in the home education world
                              Hi KariE,

I love your suggestions!! I did sit down with our son today and asked him about what he wanted to do. It will be a conversation that continues, but it was a great start! I agree that there is a distinction to be made (people in general or specific people). I thrive with one or two very close friends...and if I have that, it matters not if I am all by myself or surrounded by thousands: I have my people and am good to go just knowing they are "there."

I am working with some other moms to have a scheduled (meaning regularly meeting) homeschool group. For the moment, it looks like we will be meeting up for open gym 2 Fridays per month, but we'd also like to organize some outings / field trips. Our first meet up was great, and all the kids had a blast.

I tend to be a bit of an over-achiever, too, though not always by the book. A huge part of the pressure I feel with our son's education is that, should I not be able to continue to home school, he will have to attend the school where my husband / his daddy teaches. It is a prep school and they pride themselves on their stellar (hyper) academics. One of the teachers asked me about Anthony's work in 1st grade and told me that that was Kindergarten work at their school. So I feel this almost threat to have him do well, "just in case." (And he is. He's doing much better than I was at his age.) At my husband's school, if a kid gets behind, it can be impossible to catch up. In fact, I currently tutor three kids there who missed some building blocks.

That being said, after receiving Jen1134's suggestions, much of the pressure came off. My son is finishing his school work in less time; procrastination and all.

I had made a checklist on my wipe board, but I do like having the idea of one that my son can check off daily. I believe this could be a great morale booster. Thank you and Colomama.

Comment

Annie,
                                I hope you can continue to homeschool and that this won't come up, but stash this in your back pocket--just in case. When local homeschoolers have begun away school many of them have started at a grade below than where they were with homeschooling. There are many reasons:
                                -They were already young for their grade and this was an opportunity to course correct so as to not graduate young.
                                -No room in their grade, so went to the next lower grade.
                                -Wanted an extra year for sports in high school.
                                -Wanted margin to acclimate to the content at the school as it was not a classical curriculum.

In my experience much of the "advanced/not advanced" gap closes once everyone can read fluently. Early reading skills are not a good indicator that your child (or your school) is advanced over all. It just means the child is an early reader. Hope this gives you some breathing room. It sounds like between his two parents, he'll have all he needs at home or away school.
                                Festina lentē,
                                Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                                @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                                S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                                D · 8th
                                D · 5th
                                S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
                                X