Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status Report: How's everybody doing?

Hey guys!

I was thinking about y'all tonight as I folded a mountain of laundry and dinner simmered on the stove; especially those who struggled to find a groove in the first couple of weeks. How's it going? Still some areas to smooth out? Feeling like you have your sea legs? I am curious - so I am throwing this out there as a roll call and a status report. No one drowns around here, y'hear?

We are starting week four this week, and getting back to routine has been great. Everyone is really used to MP at this point, so the adjustment stage is minimal. I don't fret when I rewrite something into a box for later in the week, or when I realize that I missed getting to someone that day. There's always tomorrow.

Thinking about you guys, and looking forward to hearing back from you!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Re: Status Report: How's everybody doing?

Hiya!
    We struggled a bit the first few weeks. My difficult kid was especially difficult. I think he's generally capable, just stubborn - especially if it requires him to write. I reached out to one of my mentors, who usually encourages me to hold firm and stand my ground.

This time though, she said, "Your expectations are way off. He just went through a MAJOR UPHEAVAL in his life, and you should just press pause and take a week or so off, and then ease back in. Do some fun stuff and enjoy being a family." (We moved 500 miles from home this summer - really two moves, with another on the horizon). I was a bit stunned, but ever so grateful for the reality check!

So we did! Several trips to the park, a trip to the zoo, etc. Now we are easing back in. Attitude is already improved. We switched to Rod and Staff (why didn't I do that earlier?!) and moved him down a level. I am hopeful!

Hope everyone else is settling in to the new school year!
    Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
    9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
    8th grade - 8M with modifications
    4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Hmmm.

I told Tanya a few weeks ago when I saw her that I was hanging on by a thread.

I was filled with major hubris when I made out our fall plans, apparently. I neglected to consider that adjusting to two more students at the Cottage School, plus a K at away school two days a week might take the wind out of my sails. Ooooph. "Extrovert, know thyself" will be my mantra for next year.

Take aways:

Sixth grade accelerated track is NO JOKE. We're ebbing and flowing, but holy moley, the first two weeks of Third Form nearly sent me running for the hills. It feels like everything has been ratcheted up a notch. (am I the only one who's feeling a big shift here?)

My second graders are adjusting beautifully to being at the Cottage School. They LOVE it, and better yet --- they've figured out that if they get their work done, they get to play. Someone tell that to their older sister, the Queen of Dragging Things Out.

My K student is absolutely thriving at HLS. She said, "I LOVE Kindergarten, but they sure do keep you busy!" I'd also forgotten the slow and (sometimes torturous) process of teaching little people to read. More hubris. I thought Miss sassy pants would sail through school without a hitch.

Boy --- I'm all Negative Nelly over here. Someone else jump in so I don't sound like a whiner. #keepingitreal
      Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
      DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
      DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
      DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Whining allowed, Dianna!

I'm still feeling trepidatious about Third Form too, so we are not rushing, but off we go, nonetheless! I am still hoping that Greek Alphabet will subtly trick her into wanting to continue with Greek...we shall see! Her brother is working on her too - trying to convince her, but she's just like R. If she doesn't want to do it, it ain't gonna happen. !!! Silly girls!

Sounds like we have a couple that line up this year - we have a K'er too - who is loving it, but who is still adjusting to, "you mean I have to do all of it, even the parts I don't want to do?"
        Welcome to the real world, darling child!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Hi, Sarah!

I’m actually really glad you asked. Because this is shaping up to be the best year we’ve had yet homeschooling. We started the day after Labor Day after taking the Summer off. So I had time to rest and recharge and the kids had time to play and goof off. I also had enough bandwidth to retool — or exclude outright — some things that weren’t working. As of this week, the kids are still plugging away at their work, we’re getting material covered at a pretty good clip; no one is having daily tantrums; I’m staying calm and we’re all enjoying ourselves. (What?!)

What I’m doing differently:

*Block Scheduling*
          One of the moms here (Enigma? I’m sure I’m mis-remembering that) mentioned how she does block scheduling with her crew. School is from x until y. Not until the kids are done. If they finish before the clock, they work on something else. But if they don’t finish before the clock, it gets moved to the next school day. I love this. We start at 8, we end at lunch 1130-12. This sounds like a short day for veteran moms with older kids. But my little class is not only young (I have a toddler, too) they also have special needs. We are actually getting more work done with shorter days.

*Scheduled Rest*
          I did some sleuthing at the beginning of the year and dug up the public school holiday schedule. I jotted down all their days off (including teacher work days) and worked them in to our routine. When the buses are running, we are schooling. If they are not, we’re not. I did this because I have a nasty habit of not giving myself or my kids enough rest. We would school up until the day before Christmas Eve and get right back to it on the 27th or 28th. That’s honestly unsustainable. So I’ve given myself and my kids permission to rest.
          I also nap with the baby every day after lunch. No exceptions. While I’m down with her, the Bigs have permission to watch one movie and then they have Quiet Time to read or draw or rest. This is not permanent. But it’s definitely working for now!
          And I went on a silent retreat last weekend with a close friend. It was my first experience doing this. It was an intense time of prayer, worship, adoration, meditation and resolution making. I highly recommend it! I think this will become a yearly event. It was definitely a game-changer.

*I cut out the MP classical music selection for the week.*
          This might seem like heresy to some. But we honestly were just never getting to it. And at this age, “The Hokey Pokey” and “America The Beautiful” are what stick. I’m not a classical connoisseur, but I am a singer. Bach will still be there when they hit another grade and maturity-level.

*I declared Wednesday “Catechism Day”.*
          We go to morning Mass and then do nothing but Catechism and Bible study for school. We are using a combination of Faith and Life, St Joseph’s First Holy Communion Catechism, read-alouds from St Augustine Academy Press (THANK YOU, SARAH!), St Anne’s Helper FHC copybook and crafts from CatholicIcing. We repeat this on Sundays after Mass as well.
          The goal is to get them ready for First Holy Communion in time to receive by Easter (fingers crossed). My daughter will be ready. My son? Still a hanging chad. So prayers appreciated. This is a BIG DEAL, y’all. Not just because it is such for a typical child, but because this has been such a bumpy road to take. Pray he is ready. Maybe not by Easter, but in God’s own beautiful timing.

*My oldest has been moved out of the Simply Classical curriculum.*
          This is, perhaps, the biggest change of all. He was racing through the SC material and already knew most of his little sister’s material as well. He was also very difficult to deal with whenever we began our school day. Looking back, I honestly think he was bored. But he doesn’t have the language to really express that (and if he did, would I have listened?) So I moved him to MP1 about a week or so ago. He is *shining*. He knows the material; he’s doing wonderfully with it; he’s gaining mastery at a faster pace and he’s much more pleasant. (He’s also a brown belt in taekwondo now and an offensive lineman on our community football team.)
          Who knows which path he will end up taking (MP or SC — maybe a combination of both) but for now, he and his little sister are in MP1 together with MP2 rapidly coming in to view. We go slower than the lesson plans, but we finish the work. Even at his new skill level, he still engages, understands and is proficient in the work assigned. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow! He is still not “typical” — he likely never will be — but his vocabulary and comprehension are ticking up at a steady pace. I am actually starting to enjoy teaching again.

So far, this has been the most joyful year of homeschooling. Thank you, Sarah, for asking. I’m so pleased to have an excuse to share! 😄😜
          Last edited by Anita; 10-04-2017, 06:31 AM.
          “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
          Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
          Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
          Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            Whining allowed, Dianna!

Sounds like we have a couple that line up this year - we have a K'er too - who is loving it, but who is still adjusting to, "you mean I have to do all of it, even the parts I don't want to do?"
            Welcome to the real world, darling child!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            This will be a MAJOR adjustment for my little guy next year. Reading is going really well as he is almost done with All About Reading 1, but we are still in negotiations regarding writing and math.

This year is the first that everyone has a write in planner and no one is doing a core as written just yet. M is in 9th has 3 online classes and is in week 10 of geometry since she started it in August. We are working on getting math more solidly on track and then we will turn our attention to physics. 5:30 am swim practice has her up and going pretty early and she does most of her work over at my mom's where it is quieter. T is doing well, but with Delectare for FMOG and Henle 1 and Novare Earth Science the planner would be a jumbled mess. He is liking Henle so far which is nice. H is in 4th but still trying to finish up the last bits of 3A. We finished the literature over the summer, but we are still trying to finish up states and capitals and Christian Studies. Greek Myths is done at least. He is doing the delectare discussion for 4A lit, but I need to get 3A finished up so he can get going on 4A.

I tried the firm end time for school like Anita said, but it hasn't worked well so far. We are however, trying a 6 weeks on and one week off schedule. The "week off" is to catch up and do extra review on anything not completed. Obviously, online classes continue as usual.

My big concern right now is logic. Has anyone had trouble checking their quizzes when they haven't had logic themselves? I haven't really figured out where it is all going. My kids aren't really digging the videos either. I hate to drop it, but I may need to use MPOA in the future.

Glad to hear others are doing well.
            Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
            15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
            DD College Freshman
            DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
            DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
            DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Well, we are discerning whether to send our only son (age 6) to school or not! We are "vested" in homeschooling through the rest of the semester, but I am hopeful that we can work it out. However, things are already starting to improve. I have to remember with this one that he is fully resistant, for a LONG time to "new" things. It took him about this long (10 weeks) to simply get dressed every day without a tantrum. He now gets up and immediately gets dressed, without me asking. I still really, really want to be able to work with all 3 at the same time (I like to be efficeint) because there are natural times where I can get one going and then move onto the next child. This does not work for us though. *sigh* Maybe one day? It works best if I have only 1 child in the room and he/she gets my full attention. WE actually seem to accomplish a lot more. We do get together after everyone is done with individual work and work on recitations, poems, catechism, and Bible. After lunch 2x a week we try and do some enrichment. We are pretty "enriched" already so I don't sweat what doesn't get done in those regards.

A few things that are helping my son: 1) following the SC1 phonics plans. If you have a busy child, I would highly suggest these plans! You probably don't need to go as slow as the plan but they incorporate a lot more movement. Also, after now doing practically every reading program under the sun (with my eldest struggling reader), I have enough "activities" to make it all work. A few ideas:

1) write the words from the back of each assessment (they are cumulative, so if you are on book B, you can just flip to the back of that book) on word cards.
              a) You can write them twice (or have your child write them!). We played a memory game with them. My son is still having some trouble with the b
              and d and this helped a bit.
              b) I put the word cards (just 1) in a little snake shape. He decided to crawl around the snake and read each word. (I picked up the ones he was
              having trouble with and will add them to a different snake tomorrow).
              c) Line up several words across the room and call out a word and have your child run to the word and pick it up.
              d) I spread out a bunch of the words (10-15) and set a timer. I called out words and he tried to get as many as he could in 4 min. We did this over
              several days and he tried to beat his time (with the same words each day)

2) write the words on several strips of paper. We cut out the strips and hid them around the room. He found them and read them after he found them.

I try to always do one or more of the above activities and then move into the writing. This has been working well. He actually loves the diction part (what???? ) - His handwriting is better than mine..........

For math he sets a timer for almost all the different "Activities". He went from doing a lesson in an hour to a lesson in about 10-15 min. He insists on doing the whole page...(what??)

Teaching this child is vastly different and he is moving very quickly through the K materials. I almost wonder if we shouldn't have done K last year, but we might be finished with FsR by Christmas and I guess we can begin 1st phonics then. He does really want to read "real" books.

We've had some hiccups with SC3 with my oldest, but it is so perfect for her, it's unbelievable!

My baby is loosely doing SC-C, only because I have all the materials and I think she'll be ready for FSR by Feb when she is 5, opposed to Jr. K. I try to have my older daughter do some of the fun activities with her. They both enjoy this! My son is happy he doesn't have to do the activities too...LOL
              Christine

(2021/2022)
              DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
              DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
              DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

So glad you asked this question! Things are going ok here, I'm getting some push back on a few things but for the most part things are going well. We took two weeks for the first week and I think we should've done that for the first three weeks at least. He does not enjoy the workload but I can see that he's learning, I can't wait to compare the end of the year to the beginning.
                Des
                3 graduates (used LC1&2, Traditional Logic)
                G (4th grade using old MP core 3, GSWL, Strayer-Upton book 2)
                S (9th grade Abeka US History, Abeka Themes in Literature, Henle Latin w/MP guide, Systematic Mathematics w/LOF, Anatomy and Physiology, Art of Argument)

Comment

Eh, it's going here, but we have yet to find our groove this year. I had envisioned and planned a much more CM type year, and told my husband just before we began that he shouldn't be surprised if I ditched everything and bought what I needed for MP this year. Well ... that's what happened. We aren't full MP (and never could be as we follow a different progression/timing with Latin), but we are close.

My oldest is doing 3 classes with MPOA (logic, literature - when he heard there was a Jane Austen/Shakespeare class, he asked to take it, and writing - foundations, he really needs help there and he always resisted with me). And staring on Monday he'll be doing Classical Studies, Christian Studies, and Modern/US history from 10M (he's in 11th grade). He needs the push MP student guides will give him as well as more accountability. We are doing bio (loosely Kolbe, but really really really loosely) and economics (right now a Great Courses combined with The Hobbit Party).

My next two boys are doing MP for geography, classical studies, and literature. Math and science are not MP. We'll be more MP next year. I've used MP, wandered away, and come back too many times now. We are sticking with it.

My daughter is doing SC C, plus FSR (using the SC C plans) and a couple extra R&S PreK workbooks. I was going to do SC 1 with her, but Cheryl Swope came to my rescue and gave me very good reasons to do SC C instead.

(I have a hard time resisting the urge to "prove" that homeschooling was/is the best option for my children by showing how "advanced" they are. It's hard enough with my neurotypical boys, but with pretty much everyone except my husband and my mom thinking my daughter ought to be in school in special ed., it's even harder. So being able to say, see, she's doing such-and-such this year in school would, in my head, help with the naysayers, even if it wasn't right for her.)

The problem around here is order and consistency. The big boys fight both so much. They only want to do what they want to do and have a very hard time making themselves do what is right. I feel our days are so chaotic. We have a daily checklist (personal hygiene, morning routine/morning clean sweep, put away dishes, eat breakfast, and then afternoon chores) plus they have their daily/weekly schedule to check off as they go along (since I'm pulling from a few different places, I type it up and print it out). It's not that they don't know what to do nor that it's not the same basic routine today as it was yesterday. They just won't do it. (I have birthed incredibly stubborn children and I honestly don't know how to help them chose right. Right now the 13 year old and the 11 year old are in my room watching Doc McStuffins with their sister - I turned it on for her because she wasn't feeling well; they decided they ought to watch too. I've told them to leave; they just sit there. Unfortunately there's not much to hold over their heads M-Th. There's no media M-Th, and typically neighborhood friends can't play during the week either. They will eventually get their work done; they know it has to be done for Wii on the weekend. But, I am tired of our day going to very long.

So ... I am ran ragged right now and long for days that on a whole are more orderly, consistent, and pleasant. I'm not sure how to get them to cooperate. I've been trying for years. Some of them do better some years than others, but it takes one of them to be off task and the other two seem to follow. Sigh ...
                  Brit - Catholic homeschooling mom to 5 - 3 big boys ('01, '03, and '06), daughter ('10 - Down syndrome), and one more boy ('15 - always wound up, and non-stop movement and noise)

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                    Hmmm.

I told Tanya a few weeks ago when I saw her that I was hanging on by a thread.

I was filled with major hubris when I made out our fall plans, apparently. I neglected to consider that adjusting to two more students at the Cottage School, plus a K at away school two days a week might take the wind out of my sails. Ooooph. "Extrovert, know thyself" will be my mantra for next year.

Take aways:

Sixth grade accelerated track is NO JOKE. We're ebbing and flowing, but holy moley, the first two weeks of Third Form nearly sent me running for the hills. It feels like everything has been ratcheted up a notch. (am I the only one who's feeling a big shift here?)

My second graders are adjusting beautifully to being at the Cottage School. They LOVE it, and better yet --- they've figured out that if they get their work done, they get to play. Someone tell that to their older sister, the Queen of Dragging Things Out.

My K student is absolutely thriving at HLS. She said, "I LOVE Kindergarten, but they sure do keep you busy!" I'd also forgotten the slow and (sometimes torturous) process of teaching little people to read. More hubris. I thought Miss sassy pants would sail through school without a hitch.

Boy --- I'm all Negative Nelly over here. Someone else jump in so I don't sound like a whiner. #keepingitreal
                    I don't know where the hills are in Kentucky, but there was a good chance that you would find me running out among those hills. And that is a far run, from where I live. There are very few people I could tell and who would understand, when I say 'grade 6 is really hard', especially 6A. It was quite the shock for us, and I think I spent those first few weeks cowering under the shock and awe of latin verbs! One consoling thing, is that at least First Form seems really easy now and I can teach it with a little bit of a deeper understanding. I told the girls that they can't ask me questions about their Greek and Latin at the same time, because there is only so much weight that this old brain can handle lifting. Otherwise, we are in our routine. All our activities have begun, even with a couple of problems, like her fiddling instructor being hit by a car and breaking both his arms, and having wrong start times and days for other activities.

Vacation anyone?
                    Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
                    Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

(I have a hard time resisting the urge to "prove" that homeschooling was/is the best option for my children by showing how "advanced" they are. It's hard enough with my neurotypical boys, but with pretty much everyone except my husband and my mom thinking my daughter ought to be in school in special ed., it's even harder. So being able to say, see, she's doing such-and-such this year in school would, in my head, help with the naysayers, even if it wasn't right for her.)
                      I understand this completely. Trying to prove to others what you know to be right for your family can really zap your enthusiasm and sometimes even your vision. Both my sister-in-law and I homeschool. We are first generation homeschoolers if you will. It was never a thing in our family before us and extended family continue to have difficulty trying to understand why, even though we have successfully produced 2 well-adjusted and well-educated adults and have more in the making. My nephew has had some difficulty with reading, and a close family member told me that she thought he should be in a government special ed. class so he could get one on one help. UM, What? Sometime trying to educate the adults is more frustrating than trying to educate the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelina View Post
                        I understand this completely. Trying to prove to others what you know to be right for your family can really zap your enthusiasm and sometimes even your vision. Both my sister-in-law and I homeschool. We are first generation homeschoolers if you will. It was never a thing in our family before us and extended family continue to have difficulty trying to understand why, even though we have successfully produced 2 well-adjusted and well-educated adults and have more in the making. My nephew has had some difficulty with reading, and a close family member told me that she thought he should be in a government special ed. class so he could get one on one help. UM, What? Sometime trying to educate the adults is more frustrating than trying to educate the children.
                        Can y’all hear my eyes rolling from here?

Dear Ignorant Adult,

Do you know how much money it would cost to replicate the one on one teaching time our homeschooled children get? Try hiring a private tutor for a few hours a week and get back to me.

YEESH.
                        “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                        Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                        Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                        Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
                        Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

Oh dear ladies, there is so much here that I want to read and digest from all of your experiences. Thank you so much for chiming in and offering your status. But tonight I am reminded of how much changes from one day to the next...yesterday we were cruising along great - today, MAN. I had three kids still working at 6pm because of their own lollygagging in the morning. Two of them even had to sweep off the porch at one point because they were chitchatting after being told three times to stop. !!!! (They even tried to whisper so I would not hear them continue! THAT is when the punishment got imposed!).

It's like the weather - if you don't like the current daily atmosphere, just wait - mostly likely it will be different tomorrow!

I hope the stories continue, and I am offering up prayers for this wonderful community this evening.

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2020-2021
                          DS, 17
                          DD, 15
                          DD, 13
                          DD, 11
                          DD, 9
                          DD, 7
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

You know what's hard? Waiting for new curriculum to arrive. Did they ship via slow carrier pigeon or what?

We started with my son in SC3 for most things, but MP2 reading, spelling and Latin. SWO C was a total disaster. I himmed and hawed with what to switch to and finally decided to just bump down a level. His younger sister is in B, so we'll see how that goes. The book needs to get here first. He's digging Prima.

The middle child is totally rocking grade 1. I switched her out of rod and staff math and regret that decision. I sheepishly ordered her workbook 2 this week...with expedited shipping. Hoping for a faster carrier pigeon this time.

The youngest of the crew is loving Simply Classical C. Perfect placement for her.

Lessons learned so far...Rod and Staff is really good, just stay with it. Although she has requested to keep her other curriculum because she LOVES the story problems.

Recitation works. Seriously. But, you need to do it to see it. Again, just stick with it.

Juggling three kids in 3 cores is hard. It helps if you get up on time. (Read: I am not a morning person).
                            DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
                            DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
                            DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
                            Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
                            Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

I'm sure Mary is sick of hearing me say this (since I tell her almost every time I see her)...I am head over heels in love with MP! And honestly I believe a huge part of that is due to the amazing help I've received here (thank you all!) when it came to preparing the month before we started and getting ideas on how to make things go smoothly. I am SO SO thankful!!!

We are on week 6 for my jr. k / k girls, and week 3 for my 3rd, 5th, 7th group. Of course its a long day (too be expected with 6), and lots of work each day, it doesn't feel like drudgery and I love seeing how things fit together as we go along. Everything I have loved about my previous years of homeschooling, (narrations, dictation, of course reading great books to name a few) we are still doing, but in a much more organized manner that makes more sense. I ended up buying my own First Form workbook so I can take the course with the kids after their first week, just watching them and seeing how well laid out it was made me realize I want to learn WITH them and not just check or stand over them. That has been great!

Believe it or not, our "busier" school schedule has made me more organized than before, which has now allowed me time to do the things I've been trying to fit into my daily routine, exercise for example. Which in turn has given me more energy and I'm no longer hitting a wall at 11 and needing a nap (which would then mess up our school day in the past!). I'm so thankful for that!

I love what we are learning, I love seeing the lightbulbs go off when they begin to understand a new concept. I love school time with my little's where in the past I would have a hard time finding moments to do it, not anymore! It is just laid out so well it is just open and go that helps me so much with them!

Plus, after our hard work during the week, it makes our relaxing weekends even better (shocking I know! )

All in all, I believe we have finally found what we've been needing all these years and I am so thankful for MP and for all of you, whether you have replied to me specifically, or I've just read your past threads and learned from you. So very thankful!
                              Meghann

DD - 19 (homeschool graduate)
                              DS - 13 - 7th core
                              DD - 11 - 5th core
                              DS - 9 - 3rd core
                              DD - 6 - K
                              DD - 4 - Jr. K
                              DS - 2 - constantly wanting mom and to nurse!

Comment

Working...
                              X