Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Questions Over Here :)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2 Questions Over Here :)

    Hello! I have 2 things on my mind -

    1) Why do some of the Famous Men series have colored illustrations and some do not? My FMOR is black and white but my FMOG is color. Is it always that way? Are their different versions? Color holds my youngest's attention better so I was just inquiring to see if I am able to get my hands on one from MP.

    2) This is our second year homeschooling, first with MP and we love it! I adore how it weaves the big picture together so beautifully and gently. The other day my daughters were sitting at the table and started talking about how the are starting to see how it all ties together! "I love this Mommy!" So needless to say, I am very happy with it. I will digress for a moment and say that our first year we were a blend of classical and Charlotte Mason. We love to study music, art and nature. Can you suggest some ways I can weave that back into our curriculum? Our days run about 3-4 hours now, the girls like to just hit the books and get it done. They are in 4th and 6th grade. I love, love, love the schedule and organization of the cores. We are benefitting from the rhythm and schedule of it, you always know what you are doing on any given day. But, I am not going to lie, I miss the days when we dropped everything to just focus on one subject, or do a fun experiment or study, or just escaped to the woods. I know that I am not the only one, and that many of you do this too. The respect for civilization, nature and life is present in everything MP picks for their cores. Can you help me as to how you make this work with the schedule? How you catch up? I feel at this point I am just rambling But you catch my drift! Thank you so much in advance for your help!

    Beth
    DD11 5/6M Blend
    DD9 3A
    Beth
    DD12 - 7M
    DD10 - 5M

    "When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
    -Benjamin Franklin

    #2
    Re: 2 Questions Over Here

    Originally posted by home4good View Post
    Hello! I have 2 things on my mind -

    1) Why do some of the Famous Men series have colored illustrations and some do not? My FMOR is black and white but my FMOG is color. Is it always that way? Are their different versions? Color holds my youngest's attention better so I was just inquiring to see if I am able to get my hands on one from MP.

    2) This is our second year homeschooling, first with MP and we love it! I adore how it weaves the big picture together so beautifully and gently. The other day my daughters were sitting at the table and started talking about how the are starting to see how it all ties together! "I love this Mommy!" So needless to say, I am very happy with it. I will digress for a moment and say that our first year we were a blend of classical and Charlotte Mason. We love to study music, art and nature. Can you suggest some ways I can weave that back into our curriculum? Our days run about 3-4 hours now, the girls like to just hit the books and get it done. They are in 4th and 6th grade. I love, love, love the schedule and organization of the cores. We are benefitting from the rhythm and schedule of it, you always know what you are doing on any given day. But, I am not going to lie, I miss the days when we dropped everything to just focus on one subject, or do a fun experiment or study, or just escaped to the woods. I know that I am not the only one, and that many of you do this too. The respect for civilization, nature and life is present in everything MP picks for their cores. Can you help me as to how you make this work with the schedule? How you catch up? I feel at this point I am just rambling But you catch my drift! Thank you so much in advance for your help!

    Beth
    DD11 5/6M Blend
    DD9 3A
    Good morning,

    Hopefully some fellow homeschooling parents will chime in soon to answer your second question, but I think I can answer your first one.

    The Memoria Press versions of the Famous Men books have always been in color. If your FMOR is black and white, it's probably the one published by Greenleaf Press. If it is, you send in the cover and we can upgrade you to a color MP version for $7 plus shipping. FMOR retails for $16.95, so that's over 50% off

    HTH!

    Comment


      #3
      Re: 2 Questions Over Here

      Originally posted by home4good View Post
      Hello! I have 2 things on my mind -

      1) Why do some of the Famous Men series have colored illustrations and some do not? My FMOR is black and white but my FMOG is color. Is it always that way? Are their different versions? Color holds my youngest's attention better so I was just inquiring to see if I am able to get my hands on one from MP.

      2) This is our second year homeschooling, first with MP and we love it! I adore how it weaves the big picture together so beautifully and gently. The other day my daughters were sitting at the table and started talking about how the are starting to see how it all ties together! "I love this Mommy!" So needless to say, I am very happy with it. I will digress for a moment and say that our first year we were a blend of classical and Charlotte Mason. We love to study music, art and nature. Can you suggest some ways I can weave that back into our curriculum? Our days run about 3-4 hours now, the girls like to just hit the books and get it done. They are in 4th and 6th grade. I love, love, love the schedule and organization of the cores. We are benefitting from the rhythm and schedule of it, you always know what you are doing on any given day. But, I am not going to lie, I miss the days when we dropped everything to just focus on one subject, or do a fun experiment or study, or just escaped to the woods. I know that I am not the only one, and that many of you do this too. The respect for civilization, nature and life is present in everything MP picks for their cores. Can you help me as to how you make this work with the schedule? How you catch up? I feel at this point I am just rambling But you catch my drift! Thank you so much in advance for your help!

      Beth
      DD11 5/6M Blend
      DD9 3A
      Hello! I struggle with this too, I feel just like you do. I love Memoria so much and so do my kids, and we do not want to loosen up because we used to be way too loose, and it is time to buckle down and get some serious learning done. But like you, I would like to get outside with my kids more often, but it feels like by the time we are done with everything (and they like to get it all done, it takes awhile as we are quite slow) then it is time for supper, music lesson, other activities they need for socialization/health- or practice, then bed, and the same thing all over again. I miss the sunshine... I think we need to get up earlier and go for a walk before school, and then make sure we fit in a break somewhere to just get outside, even if it is just for a half hour at lunchtime. Means we finish really late, but maybe it is worth it? I hope you get some great advice, I'll be reading along!

      Comment


        #4
        Re: 2 Questions Over Here

        Yes, keeping that balance between being diligent about school and still having ample amounts of leisure is definitely important for overall health! We have gone through school years where I felt we did not do a good job of that - and thinking back, was when we were in our first years of adjusting to MP. Now, I make it a point to TELL them to go outside. I am so grateful we finally have a quiet place where they can be out during the day, but if we wait until we are done with school, it's still too hot. (MS 90's still). So I have been sending them out at 9:30 or so to have recess for an hour. It helps them so much! Or my older girls will take a walk together in late afternoon. But the point is, I have realized I have to make it a priority for them, even if it means we may not check every box that day, or something has to carry over into the evening. It's worth it.

        As for the music and art - have you tried using the Enrichment program from K-2? Most of us with littler kids rotate through those anyway, but you guys could purchase a grade of it and use it. The material is great, organized, and all ready to go for you with typical MP awesome-ness. I would start with the K enrichment, get art cards or posters, and the music guide. (That's ready now, isn't it?). I think it would solve your problem beautifully!

        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

        Comment


          #5
          Re: 2 Questions Over Here

          Agreeing with Sarah's suggestion to get MP art cards and the music enrichment (maybe along with the enrichment plans even?) for one year of the primary program and go to town. There are Spotify lists online for free or you can purchase the music through iTunes to have with you on the go. Here's an up to date K list, for example. Put out one art card per week on the school table or kitchen counter. Look at it and talk about it. Listen to the music. If your children are amenable, then read them the one picture book read aloud per week--they are so lovely! Use the topics in the enrichment guide to reserve age-appropriate books from the library.

          My other suggestion is to make this happen because YOU are the curriculum. If you want something in your family life, make it part of your family life. It doesn't have to be curriculum. There's a difference between needing a guide to help you out and making something "school." Over the years, we've taken what we are learning through MP's science and poetry and used that to enjoy the outdoors more thoroughly. If you are hungry for more in-depth composer study or artist study, then buy a packet from Simply Charlotte Mason and go for it! Or, use the MP art cards and reserve a huge stack of books from you local library. Study them in order of composition instead of by the weekly plans. These are all just examples, but I think you get the drift. I learned long ago that I needed to do things because they were worth doing--hiking, reading outside, letting the kids get dirty and use knives, the girls learning to sew and crochet, etc. If you are longing for the nature-walk sort of things, then seek out a local nature group (I know Wild and Free has things like this all over the country) that will hold you accountable to getting out and getting into nature together. Local public parks and trails await you. Know a friend with a farm? Invite yourself over. Go to museums, plays, free orchestra in the park type things, high school choral and band concerts, community theatre, local middle school and high school sporting events, historical festivals, etc. The list of options is staggering! If you want to spend an entire Friday in the woods, then proactively shuffle work to make it a four-day academic week and reap the fruit of your reward on Friday! My daughter did all her work in four days this week because we are babysitting for a friend today and she wanted to give her full attention to the toddler. They are roaming around the house now and I'm not sure who's having more fun.

          One of the best things about homeschooling is deciding what sort of family culture you want to have and then set about to create it. It sounds like you are hungry for more and have the time to add some things--so go for it, once school is done each day. These treats can be some of the leverage you have for speeding up morning work and staying focused. Even moms need a carrot dangled in front of them sometimes. Ask me how I know!
          Last edited by pickandgrin; 09-29-2017, 09:52 AM.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

          2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
          DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
          DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
          DD 7th • HLN & Home
          DS 4th • HLN & Home
          Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

          Teaching TFL and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

          Comment


            #6
            Re: 2 Questions Over Here

            Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            [G]et ... the music guide. (That's ready now, isn't it?)
            Yes it is! Click here.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: 2 Questions Over Here

              Oh, and there is also the Creating Art book which has actual lessons on artistic technique with activities and projects, if that is the sort of thing you want. Since your kids are a bit older, it would be a good fit too.

              (And Michael could probably link that for me too since he has a computer and I am on my phone, waiting for a child to finish her quiz...)

              AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

              Comment


                #8
                Re: 2 Questions Over Here

                Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                (And Michael could probably link that for me too since he has a computer and I am on my phone, waiting for a child to finish her quiz...)
                He can. Click here for Creating Art.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: 2 Questions Over Here

                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Oh. my. goodness. I might have to revisit my book budget. These look great for any age! Just out of curiosity- are there other levels of music/art coming?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: 2 Questions Over Here

                    Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
                    Oh. my. goodness. I might have to revisit my book budget. These look great for any age! Just out of curiosity- are there other levels of music/art coming?
                    We are working on expanding our Fine Arts curriculum.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: 2 Questions Over Here

                      Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Good morning,

                      Hopefully some fellow homeschooling parents will chime in soon to answer your second question, but I think I can answer your first one.

                      The Memoria Press versions of the Famous Men books have always been in color. If your FMOR is black and white, it's probably the one published by Greenleaf Press. If it is, you send in the cover and we can upgrade you to a color MP version for $7 plus shipping. FMOR retails for $16.95, so that's over 50% off

                      HTH!
                      I had no idea about that! I bought the FMOR from a friend! Thank you so very much for this! I will send it out tomorrow! Thank you as well for the links to the art and music enrichment books, I truly appreciate it! I am going to have to get my hands on those

                      Beth
                      Beth
                      DD12 - 7M
                      DD10 - 5M

                      "When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
                      -Benjamin Franklin

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: 2 Questions Over Here

                        Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
                        Hello! I struggle with this too, I feel just like you do. I love Memoria so much and so do my kids, and we do not want to loosen up because we used to be way too loose, and it is time to buckle down and get some serious learning done. But like you, I would like to get outside with my kids more often, but it feels like by the time we are done with everything (and they like to get it all done, it takes awhile as we are quite slow) then it is time for supper, music lesson, other activities they need for socialization/health- or practice, then bed, and the same thing all over again. I miss the sunshine... I think we need to get up earlier and go for a walk before school, and then make sure we fit in a break somewhere to just get outside, even if it is just for a half hour at lunchtime. Means we finish really late, but maybe it is worth it? I hope you get some great advice, I'll be reading along!
                        It sounds like we suffer from the same affliction! I must say though, that it is such a comfort knowing that there are others out there in the same boat! Thank you for your insight!

                        Beth
                        Beth
                        DD12 - 7M
                        DD10 - 5M

                        "When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
                        -Benjamin Franklin

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: 2 Questions Over Here

                          Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                          Yes, keeping that balance between being diligent about school and still having ample amounts of leisure is definitely important for overall health! We have gone through school years where I felt we did not do a good job of that - and thinking back, was when we were in our first years of adjusting to MP. Now, I make it a point to TELL them to go outside. I am so grateful we finally have a quiet place where they can be out during the day, but if we wait until we are done with school, it's still too hot. (MS 90's still). So I have been sending them out at 9:30 or so to have recess for an hour. It helps them so much! Or my older girls will take a walk together in late afternoon. But the point is, I have realized I have to make it a priority for them, even if it means we may not check every box that day, or something has to carry over into the evening. It's worth it.

                          As for the music and art - have you tried using the Enrichment program from K-2? Most of us with littler kids rotate through those anyway, but you guys could purchase a grade of it and use it. The material is great, organized, and all ready to go for you with typical MP awesome-ness. I would start with the K enrichment, get art cards or posters, and the music guide. (That's ready now, isn't it?). I think it would solve your problem beautifully!

                          AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          Thank you Sarah! I am feeling much better about this! Thank you so much for your kind words and support.

                          Beth
                          Beth
                          DD12 - 7M
                          DD10 - 5M

                          "When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
                          -Benjamin Franklin

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: 2 Questions Over Here

                            Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                            Agreeing with Sarah's suggestion to get MP art cards and the music enrichment (maybe along with the enrichment plans even?) for one year of the primary program and go to town. There are Spotify lists online for free or you can purchase the music through iTunes to have with you on the go. Here's an up to date K list, for example. Put out one art card per week on the school table or kitchen counter. Look at it and talk about it. Listen to the music. If your children are amenable, then read them the one picture book read aloud per week--they are so lovely! Use the topics in the enrichment guide to reserve age-appropriate books from the library.

                            My other suggestion is to make this happen because YOU are the curriculum. If you want something in your family life, make it part of your family life. It doesn't have to be curriculum. There's a difference between needing a guide to help you out and making something "school." Over the years, we've taken what we are learning through MP's science and poetry and used that to enjoy the outdoors more thoroughly. If you are hungry for more in-depth composer study or artist study, then buy a packet from Simply Charlotte Mason and go for it! Or, use the MP art cards and reserve a huge stack of books from you local library. Study them in order of composition instead of by the weekly plans. These are all just examples, but I think you get the drift. I learned long ago that I needed to do things because they were worth doing--hiking, reading outside, letting the kids get dirty and use knives, the girls learning to sew and crochet, etc. If you are longing for the nature-walk sort of things, then seek out a local nature group (I know Wild and Free has things like this all over the country) that will hold you accountable to getting out and getting into nature together. Local public parks and trails await you. Know a friend with a farm? Invite yourself over. Go to museums, plays, free orchestra in the park type things, high school choral and band concerts, community theatre, local middle school and high school sporting events, historical festivals, etc. The list of options is staggering! If you want to spend an entire Friday in the woods, then proactively shuffle work to make it a four-day academic week and reap the fruit of your reward on Friday! My daughter did all her work in four days this week because we are babysitting for a friend today and she wanted to give her full attention to the toddler. They are roaming around the house now and I'm not sure who's having more fun.

                            One of the best things about homeschooling is deciding what sort of family culture you want to have and then set about to create it. It sounds like you are hungry for more and have the time to add some things--so go for it, once school is done each day. These treats can be some of the leverage you have for speeding up morning work and staying focused. Even moms need a carrot dangled in front of them sometimes. Ask me how I know!
                            Wow!!! Thank you so much for such a wonderful response! I love your suggestions, and I truly appreciate your help! I really like the ideas of the composer study and thank you for the spotify link! I think I will be hopping on the website now to peruse the enrichment materials hahaha! And I do need to remember that we don't need a curriculum for everything, there is beauty and life to be learned all around us, we just need to go out and live it!

                            Beth
                            Beth
                            DD12 - 7M
                            DD10 - 5M

                            "When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
                            -Benjamin Franklin

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: 2 Questions Over Here

                              Pretty sure MP had black and white Famous Men, Michael. I own some. They look just like the new ones but the pictures are black and white. I'm thinking it was like 7-8 years ago that you added color. I remember because I bought all new ones to get color. This was way before you had core grade packages.
                              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                              DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                              DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                              DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                              (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                              DS, 21, Physics and math major
                              DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
                              DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
                              DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X