Astronomy: How to memorize the Zodiacs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astronomy: How to memorize the Zodiacs

How do you have your kids memorize the 12 Zodiacs? Do you memorize in the longitudal lines (like in the astronomy text) or alphabetical order (like the recitation in curriculum guide)? Would it be bad to memorize them in the horiscope order (not sure what else to call it) or in the order of the months of the year? I just thought that might be a more practical way to memorize them. Also does anyone have a good mnemonic they use for this?

Re: Astronomy: How to memorize the Zodiacs

When my daughter was in third grade I remember they came up with hand clues for each of those constellations.

Michelle T

Comment

It doesn't matter how you memorize the zodiacs. You can choose any order you wish.

Tanya

Comment

My kids memorized alphabetically. We just chunked them into groups of 3 and they'd learn a new set every day/every other day. With my kids, no matter how what clues we use for memory (APIAS for the oceans, My Very Educated Mother...for the planets, etc.), I've found that it helps so much to break down a memorization list into chunks or pieces and to learn 3 or 4 at a time. Most lists form a rhythm this way, even if you decide to rearrange the list alphabetically, numerically or whatever.
        Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I've had my son memorize them in "horoscope order" like you suggest. At least by the end of the course, the list always begins with Aries and ends with Pieces. Even if they could be memorized in a different order, it makes the most sense to me for them to be memorized in a clock-wise fashion. It is the convention anyway, since that is the order the appear throughout the seasons.

I had him memorize in groups of 3:

Aries
          Taurus
          Gemini

Cancer
          Leo
          Virgo

Etc.

By thinking in groups of three, he was able to string his memorization along, and I believe he came up with his own memory tricks.

Hope that helps!

Jen
          Last edited by Jen (formerly) in Japan; 09-30-2017, 09:44 AM.
          DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

I like that method, Jen. Thanks!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
            DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
            DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
            DD 7th • HLN & Home
            DS 4th • HLN & Home
            Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
            Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
            X