Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picture Books Related to Famous Men Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture Books Related to Famous Men Series?

Hello Friends!

As a way of helping younger children to learn and retain the information from the Famous Men Series, I was wondering if anyone knows of any picture books that would introduce or reinforce some of these stories, particularly for the Famous Men of Rome?

Thank you!

In Him

Ally

DS - MP 9th
    DD - MP 8th
    DD - MP 7th
    Ally

Evan: 11th grade, MPOA
    Rachel: 10th grade, MPOA
    Katie: 9th grade, mix of MPOA & HOD

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

Re: Picture Books Related to Famous Men Series?

Hello...I don't know what your tastes are, are you looking for a book with a lot of pictures or one gorgeous spread per page? But I used to like the Usborne books quite a bit when my kids were smaller. (Not sure what the world view/bias might be, but if it's mostly pictures should be ok?) I think they have one on Ancient Rome, but I haven't used it or seen it- might be something like what you are looking for. Might be worth trying. https://usborne.com/browse-books/cat...-picture-book/

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
      Hello...I don't know what your tastes are, are you looking for a book with a lot of pictures or one gorgeous spread per page? But I used to like the Usborne books quite a bit when my kids were smaller. (Not sure what the world view/bias might be, but if it's mostly pictures should be ok?) I think they have one on Ancient Rome, but I haven't used it or seen it- might be something like what you are looking for. Might be worth trying. https://usborne.com/browse-books/cat...-picture-book/

Maria
      Hi Maria,

I was just trying to think of some helpful ways to get in the grammar of the classical studies for younger students as they haven't grown up hearing those different names and places in our everyday culture. I thought perhaps picture books would be a way to help reinforce and remember those different names and stories as an enjoyable supplement to FMR and the others.

I'll browse through the Usborne and Beautiful Feet books.

Thanks!

Ally
      Ally

Comment

Ally, what age in particular?
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
        DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
        DD 7th • HLN & Home
        DS 4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
          Ally, what age in particular?
          Probably 8-12 years old would be the age range.

If there is no list, I'm tempted to create one for the series. I think it would be a very useful tool.

Thanks!
          Ally

Comment

ETA~HAHA! I'm just realizing that kikirev IS Ally. Sorry, I thought you were different people. I'm editing my response according to this profound revelation.

A list would be a fun resource for library trips/book holds, especially since I'm not aware of many books that would fit this description.

Are these are kids actively studying the FM series or are these younger siblings (or other) who are listening in, for whom you want a foretaste? In my experience, the cycle through of MP is reinforcement in itself:

Greek Myths-->Famous Men of Greece-->Book of the Ancient Greeks/Iliad/Odyssey, (eventually, possibly, Greek on the side)

Famous Men of Rome-->Horatius at the Bridge-->Book of the Ancient Romans/Aeneid (plus Latin every year)

For Middle Ages, you have all the excellent literature that goes along with that year.

Looking forward to hearing more! Knowing more about the goals you have in mind will really help.

I'm sure you'll scour the internet, but here's a link I found easily: https://www.homeschoolingdownunder.c...rome-booklist/
            Also, Tapestry of Grace would be a good resource as they feature books for all ages on the same topics--here's a link to their Ancients: http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/bookupdates/index1.php LG (red) stands for Lower Grammar, UG (gold) for Upper Grammar and would fit your age description. Here's the link for Middle Ages-type titles: http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/bookupdates/index2.php HTH!
            Last edited by pickandgrin; 09-27-2017, 12:14 PM.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
            DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
            DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
            DD 7th • HLN & Home
            DS 4th • HLN & Home
            Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
            Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

ETA~HAHA! I'm just realizing that kikirev IS Ally. Sorry, I thought you were different people. I'm editing my response according to this profound revelation.

A list would be a fun resource for library trips/book holds, especially since I'm not aware of many books that would fit this description.

Are these are kids actively studying the FM series or are these younger siblings (or other) who are listening in, for whom you want a foretaste? In my experience, the cycle through of MP is reinforcement in itself:

Greek Myths-->Famous Men of Greece-->Book of the Ancient Greeks/Iliad/Odyssey, (eventually, possibly, Greek on the side)

Famous Men of Rome-->Horatius at the Bridge-->Book of the Ancient Romans/Aeneid (plus Latin every year)

For Middle Ages, you have all the excellent literature that goes along with that year.

Looking forward to hearing more! Knowing more about the goals you have in mind will really help.

I'm sure you'll scour the internet, but here's a link I found easily: https://www.homeschoolingdownunder.c...rome-booklist/
              Also, Tapestry of Grace would be a good resource as they feature books for all ages on the same topics--here's a link to their Ancients: http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/bookupdates/index1.php LG (red) stands for Lower Grammar, UG (gold) for Upper Grammar and would fit your age description. Here's the link for Middle Ages-type titles: http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/bookupdates/index2.php HTH!

Thank you for the links and advice! I'll dig into it as soon as I can. I am asking for a friend who is new to MP and her children are younger (her oldest is doing FMR this year). We've been talking about how beautifully MP layers the classical studies as the years progress and I've shared how FMR and the others in the series have provided a great foundation for the later studies of the Ancient Romans, Ancient Greeks, etc. that I can see in my older children's studies.

Just looking for additional ways to help unfamiliar names, places and stories "stick" in the memory for this first exposure.

Blessings!

Ally
              Ally

Comment

We listen to the Librivox audiobook of FMR, and my younger kiddo picks up bits and pieces. I know that's not a picture book, but it might be another useful item for the tool belt. :-)
                Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
                9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
                8th grade - 8M with modifications
                4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

OOOOh ...... Candlewick has some AWESOME Greek Mythology books that we really enjoyed a few years back.
                  Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                  DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
                  DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                  DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                  DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
                  DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Thank you ladies! Appreciate your help
                    Ally

Comment

I would also check the Simply Charlotte Mason website. Their curricula is designed for multiple ages. So, if you looked at their booklist for that time period, it will be separated out by ages.

Beautiful Feet and Simply Charlotte Mason would be my first stop for booklists.

I also have a printed book, History Through the Ages, which lists books by grade level on loads of topics, not just history (though that's obviously their focus). A great book to have on your shelf for reference.
                      DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
                      DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
                      DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
                      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
                      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Veritas? They start students in history very young, using something like a 6 year history sequence. I have found lower level materials there in a pinch. You'll have to browse by subject:

https://www.veritaspress.com/curriculum/

Jen
                        DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Working...
                        X