Placement of a 9yo, 7yo: Family Harmony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement of a 9yo, 7yo: Family Harmony

I have a 9yo that is a terrible speller and not so great at math. I started her in the second grade level with Prima Latina last spring and we are up to week 13. I'm following the guide for all subjects except enrichments and math-she is just finishing MUS Beta/starting Gamma next week and we are using the K schedule/level for enrichment for the whole lot of K-2 kids with my 5yo.

She does love to read and has already finished some of the third grade books on her own (Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web). She hates having to do "second grade" as a fourth grader and her siblings tease her for being so "dumb." Which of course she isn't, but no one can get past the title of the teacher's guide.

I started my 7yo on the first grade level last spring based on the advice that I got here for kids who finish Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons-start him on FSR D and E. He is way beyond that and is absolutely cruising through Spelling Workout B and HATES the "babyish" books he has to read. Blueberries for Sal and Little Bear are for little girls in his mind (I'm not making him reread anything he considers babyish-I sub with other readers I have around). And he hates the primary lined workbooks. He wants to write small like he does for all of his creative drawing on plain paper.

What do you all think about me keeping the 9yo right where she is for spelling, but moving her up to the third grade in everything else? Is there any reason she should finish Prima Latina before moving up to Latina Christiana? Should she finish Spelling Workout C before attempting CS1, All Things Fun and Fascinating, and Greek Myths?

Re: Placement of a 9yo, 7yo: Family Harmony

Originally posted by robomom11 View Post
    I have a 9yo that is a terrible speller and not so great at math. I started her in the second grade level with Prima Latina last spring and we are up to week 13. I'm following the guide for all subjects except enrichments and math-she is just finishing MUS Beta/starting Gamma next week and we are using the K schedule/level for enrichment for the whole lot of K-2 kids with my 5yo.

She does love to read and has already finished some of the third grade books on her own (Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web). She hates having to do "second grade" as a fourth grader and her siblings tease her for being so "dumb." Which of course she isn't, but no one can get past the title of the teacher's guide.

I started my 7yo on the first grade level last spring based on the advice that I got here for kids who finish Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons-start him on FSR D and E. He is way beyond that and is absolutely cruising through Spelling Workout B and HATES the "babyish" books he has to read. Blueberries for Sal and Little Bear are for little girls in his mind (I'm not making him reread anything he considers babyish-I sub with other readers I have around). And he hates the primary lined workbooks. He wants to write small like he does for all of his creative drawing on plain paper.

What do you all think about me keeping the 9yo right where she is for spelling, but moving her up to the third grade in everything else? Is there any reason she should finish Prima Latina before moving up to Latina Christiana? Should she finish Spelling Workout C before attempting CS1, All Things Fun and Fascinating, and Greek Myths?
    I can't *think* of a reason why she couldn't move up to LC if that's more her speed - Prima and Latina Christiana are both introductions to Latin and one is not dependent upon the other. If she's ready for LC and it's a better fit, I think it should be fine.

As for spelling, I don't know that she would need to complete SW level C before attempting Christian Studies, ATF&F or GM; however, do know that she will be encountering lots of new and interesting words and she'll be writing a LOT more. If her reading and writing are pretty fluent, then I would think that concentrating on spelling at her level *should* be okay.

As for literature, you said she's read Charlotte's Web and Farmer Boy - has she completed the workbooks for those? I ask because my older kids had read the books at their respective grade levels coming in to MP but reading them for content was a whole different ball game. In our case, my dd could read beyond her grade level but dissecting those novels and engaging in critical thinking (more than just answering basic questions about characters and plot) were really more at- and sometimes below - MP grade level. **I hope that made sense**

Overall, you as mother know best and if she needs to ramp up a bit in some areas, by all means go ahead! However, I would try to make sure she's really ready for it (mainly the literature) and not chomping at the bit because she's being teased by siblings. (Oh, WHY do siblings do this? If they only knew what it does to their mothers!) Of course, I'm sure others will chime in with advice from other angles, so take what works and run with it. <3
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
      I can't *think* of a reason why she couldn't move up to LC if that's more her speed - Prima and Latina Christiana are both introductions to Latin and one is not dependent upon the other. If she's ready for LC and it's a better fit, I think it should be fine.

As for spelling, I don't know that she would need to complete SW level C before attempting Christian Studies, ATF&F or GM; however, do know that she will be encountering lots of new and interesting words and she'll be writing a LOT more. If her reading and writing are pretty fluent, then I would think that concentrating on spelling at her level *should* be okay.

As for literature, you said she's read Charlotte's Web and Farmer Boy - has she completed the workbooks for those? I ask because my older kids had read the books at their respective grade levels coming in to MP but reading them for content was a whole different ball game. In our case, my dd could read beyond her grade level but dissecting those novels and engaging in critical thinking (more than just answering basic questions about characters and plot) were really more at- and sometimes below - MP grade level. **I hope that made sense**

Overall, you as mother know best and if she needs to ramp up a bit in some areas, by all means go ahead! However, I would try to make sure she's really ready for it (mainly the literature) and not chomping at the bit because she's being teased by siblings. (Oh, WHY do siblings do this? If they only knew what it does to their mothers!) Of course, I'm sure others will chime in with advice from other angles, so take what works and run with it. <3
      I would have her do the workbooks for CW and FB for sure. She writes quickly enough, she just spells terribly.

Comment

OK, this hurts my brain a little, but I think you are leaning toward what we used to call 3 Advanced: 3rd grade lit package, full Latina Christiana, third grade math. The "old way" before MP added the home school track to divide this level into 2 years. I think you are saying that other than spelling, you think her LA skills can handle the full level; it is her math and spelling which don't need a leap.

Like you, I was surprised that even with all my years of homeschooling experience, it took several tries to get my youngest kid appropriately placed in a full MP core. His spelling is still a level behind (I just sub in the book... slow and steady is what I am aiming for), while his math is ahead. It took "seasons" of getting him into the correct placement for independent working, nursing him along.

NOT SURE if MP still offers the core manual for 3 Advanced, but you can ask. It is completely fine to bump her up to Latina Christiana, and out of Prima. Both are introductory levels anyway.

Your youngest might also need a new placement, but you might need to call MP or give us more details. Just wanting different lines on paper may or may not be enough of a reason to leap to the next level. Hope that makes sense.

Another thought.... once, long ago, MP used to "custom print" a cover of the lesson plans for families who had the situation you describe: ego is on the line for a student.

Jen
        DS, 27 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 25 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 22 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 12 yrs, 8th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Hi Robomom11,

What are you thinking about changing for your 7 year old? Or what is it that he is hoping to do?

The lined workbooks continue in 2nd with copybook, the Prima Latina copybook and cursive.

What makes certain books seem babyish to him?

Schooling with unhappy children is really hard!
          Heidi
          Heidi

2018-19
          dd- 3m
          ds- SC 1
          dd- SC B

Comment

I would have her do the workbooks for CW and FB for sure. She writes quickly enough, she just spells terribly.
            Oh, okay. I'm sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you meant to skip these and go to the next books in the succession.

I liked what Jen wrote about calling MP and possibly just going to the full 3rd core. When you call, talk to them about the pros and cons of doing the full (formerly "accelerated") core vs. the more moderated (think half-pace) track to see which would be a better fit. <3

Lastly, I think you should ask if MP can design a personalized CG cover - if they still do that. Maybe something that reads, "Genius-Level MP Curriculum"...just to give her sibs a taste of their own medicine. *evil laughter*
            Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
            DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
            DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Robomom11,

I am sorry your son thinks the materials are babyish. When you called for help with placement, we discussed the reason for moving through the materials was to ensure there were no phonetic gaps. What you are doing will only help to solidify knowledge of the phonograms needed for advanced decoding and spelling. You are doing the correct thing by moving quickly through the materials taking note on any issues and by eliminating that extra re-reading of the story substituting with something closer to his reading level. Let me encourage you to continue for this brief period and reap the benefits in the future. Obviously you have a good sense of how to modify and adjust for this all-important, transitional year!

Blessings,
              Michelle T

Comment

My brain hurts thinking about my kids too-

I'm going to keep Mr 7yo right where he is for now and appeal to his sense of superiority to get him to write bigger and neater-he is my husband's mini-me and likes to be the best and first. My husband had the best handwriting and the best grades when he was little. Mr 7yo loves learning cursive because no other boy his age can write it, so it gives him street cred at Cub Scouts. I have "manlier" readers, like Greg's Microscope and Daniel's Duck, that he can read out loud while we work up to Billy and Blaze in the schedule. Our first week of school he said that school work was booooring. I flat out told him that I didn't care if he thought school was boring, I was here to educate him, not entertain him. He is so different from my oldest son who loved to snuggle up and read with me.

Ms 9yo will do the 3rd Moderated, not Advanced. I'll try her out next week and see how she does with the increase in work (I already bought all the books-I love buying books!). I know she wouldn't be ready for 5th next year. My 11yo (almost 12) competitive perfectionist daughter is doing 5th this year and it is a perfect fit for her.

Comment

Working...
                X