Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Ten List for a Great First Day

Hey Guys!

Whew. We started - yay!!! Feels good to have the first day under our belts and to officially be schooling again. I know that from the virtual-forum land of snippets of information and advice, it can be very easy to assume that someone else is having a "perfect home school day" while you are simply dragging yourself through. So as an attempt to help take some of the sheen off the "perfect image" here are a few notes from our first day - which I considered as a "great day."

1. Only one child cried - and only three times. (she's four - it's allowed).
    *NOTICE HOW THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE THING THAT MADE IT A GREAT DAY*

2. I only raised my voice about attitude to two children - and only one time a piece.
    *NOTICE HOW THIS IS THE NUMBER TWO THING THAT MADE IT A GREAT DAY*

3. I actually spent time with my preschooler and felt like we "did school." Totally sweet.

4. Every child got outside at some point.

5. My oldest two worked on a subject together and were very cooperative.

6. I remembered about the laundry early enough to get two loads done today instead of one.

7. I had a sandwich with leftover roast pork loin, dill havarti cheese, and a pickle for lunch.

8. I did not finish my morning coffee so I had "permission" to have an early afternoon jolt of caffeine.
    *NOTICE HOW TWO MENTIONS OF FOOD MADE THE LIST BEFORE ANYTHING RELATED TO ACADEMIC PROGRESS*

9. By 2:30 I was done with three people; by 3:30 I was done with four; and by 5pm I was done checking in with all six.

10. Most boxes got checked for most people.
    *NOTICE HOW THIS WAS LAST*

(Even if this had not happened, I would have put today in the "win" column for a great first day, for all the reasons mentioned above.)

Hope this lowers the bar for anyone else who still needs to have a great first day!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Re: Top Ten List for a Great First Day

Beautiful and brilliant! Love it!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks for pulling back the curtain and showing us some real life homeschooling. :-) . I'd say you had winner of a day, too.
      Angel
      Angel
      Mom to 5 Teens.

Comment

A cup of coffee after lunch makes me ridiculously happy over here. Glad you are off to a good start!
        Bean. Long time MP user. I'm usually posting before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD- 10th- AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

LOL. I know, right?

(I even put flavored creamer in it. Shhhh!)

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
            A cup of coffee after lunch makes me ridiculously happy over here. Glad you are off to a good start!
            I used the last of my coffee this morning and all my kids said "oh no, that's bad!" Here's hoping hubby got the text reminder to stop at Kroger on the way home from basketball night with his (aging) college buddies...and buys the right brand.

Congrats Sarah on a great first day! We started a couple of weeks ago, but still haven't added in all our subjects. A la IEW and Mr. pudwa's banned words list, I did have to ban the word "annoying" from people's vocabulary last week...especially when describing a sibling ;-)
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

I found myself laughing and nodding through your list. First, YAY for a GREAT DAY! Second, I am so thrilled that you shared what so many of us need to hear: a great day doesn't look like like the beautifully filtered photographs on blog posts or magazine spreads. It's getting through the day without a potty accident, without raising your voice more times than you have fingers or siblings using the word "annoying" to describe each other. (Loved that one!) I'm so happy for you! And, um, a little jealous hearing about your pork loin sandwich.
              Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
              DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
              DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170911_112738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	104068

We skipped Latin. But, we get two weeks to do the first week, right?

Found the 6 year old snuggled up with this week's read-aloud, reading to her younger sister. It looks like they like eachother. No kicking or hair pulling. WIN!

And I was speechless that she could read the book. The 4 year old said, "That's wierd, where was Curious George?" when she finished. I was like, it's about a kangaroo, not a monkey. 4 year old replies, "yeah, but the pictures looked like a George book." Sure enough, HA Rey was the illustrator. She's been exposed to such good literature and encouraged to really look at the illustrations, that she noticed. Yay for MP!
                Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]743[/ATTACH]

Found the 6 year old snuggled up with this week's read-aloud, reading to her younger sister. It looks like they like eachother. No kicking or hair pulling. WIN!

And I was speechless that she could read the book. The 4 year old said, "That's wierd, where was Curious George?" when she finished. I was like, it's about a kangaroo, not a monkey. 4 year old replies, "yeah, but the pictures looked like a George book." Sure enough, HA Rey was the illustrator. She's been exposed to such good literature and encouraged to really look at the illustrations, that she noticed. Yay for MP!
                  Michelle,

Do your children wear uniforms for homeschool? That's adorable!
                  Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
                  DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
                  DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
                  DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
                  DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
                  DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Sarah,

Excellent first day. We start next Monday. Will have to keep in mind to have something delicious ready for lunch, but not a sandwich... unless you *have* found a brand of GF bread that doesn't taste like Styrofoam? Personally, I haven't found it yet, so you may need to share that, too.

Jen
                    DS, 27 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 25 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 22 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 12 yrs, 8th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]743[/ATTACH]

I opened the picture up with all 3 kids were around. My 6 year old son said "hey we have that book". Then he decided to narrate the whole thing.
                      Christine

(2019/2020)
                      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Great first day!
                        Des
                        3 graduates (used LC1&2, Traditional Logic)
                        G (4th grade using old MP core 3, GSWL, Strayer-Upton book 2)
                        S (9th grade Abeka US History, Abeka Themes in Literature, Henle Latin w/MP guide, Systematic Mathematics w/LOF, Anatomy and Physiology, Art of Argument)

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
                          Sarah,

Excellent first day. We start next Monday. Will have to keep in mind to have something delicious ready for lunch, but not a sandwich... unless you *have* found a brand of GF bread that doesn't taste like Styrofoam? Personally, I haven't found it yet, so you may need to share that, too.

Jen
                          Surprisingly, we have! We have Krogers now, which has been a tricky adjustment. But they do carry a GF bread (and corn free) that is *gasp* SOFT! It is stocked in the aisle of regular bread (which was a little nerve-wracking to walk down!). But it is all vacuum-sealed and everything. That was part of what added to my joy of my *actual sandwich* yesterday!

I know Richmond has a Kroger...if you want to drive down once in a while for a splurge!

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2020-2021
                          DS, 16
                          DD, 14
                          DD, 12
                          DD, 10
                          DD, 8
                          DD, 6
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
                            Sarah,

Jen
                            Jen! I have an almond flour bread recipe that's really good (best if toasted before using for sandwiches).

I also culture my own sourdough, but my kids can handle that - serious sensitivity/celiac usually can't. I'll PM the recipe when I'm finished with lessons this afternoon...or should we start an OT post with GF bread recipes?
                            Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                            DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                            DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

See? I am not beyond hijacking a thread.

Sarah, name of said delicious, soft GF bread at Kroger? When I lived in Memphis I had to get used to Kroger quickly since it was the only show in town. Maybe I can find it here in DC Land if I have the name of the bread.

Mary... I haven't tested almonds in yet, but that seems to be the go-to for most GF baked goods. Sounds yummy!

Jen
                              DS, 27 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 25 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 22 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 12 yrs, 8th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Working...
                              X