X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KikaMarie
    replied
    Originally posted by bean View Post

With Russian "on your own" is a relative term. :-) If you look at the Amazon sample , in the intro there is a website that lines up with the book. I don't know about answers, though, or if there is a teacher's edition.
    Thank you both. I am going to order it and see how he gets along. He keeps asking if I have found a "good Russian grammar" book.

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied
    Originally posted by KikaMarie View Post
    bean
    Bean or Kristin,
    Do either of you know if this is a text that someone could pick up and work with on his own? Is the interactive workbook just workbook style or is their audio lessons?
    Monica
    It is a workbook, where you can write answers in blanks, so it is user friendly. I would say it would help an individual work on the fundamental grammar and develop reading competency, but I don't think it would help get someone to speaking fluency without a teacher.

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    bean
    Bean or Kristin,
    Do either of you know if this is a text that someone could pick up and work with on his own? Is the interactive workbook just workbook style or is their audio lessons?
    Monica
    With Russian "on your own" is a relative term. :-) If you look at the Amazon sample , in the intro there is a website that lines up with the book. I don't know about answers, though, or if there is a teacher's edition.

Leave a comment:

• KikaMarie
    replied
    Originally posted by klwalukas View Post

This is also the book that is used at the University of Minnesota for 3 semesters of Russian, so you can use this for at least 2 years of high school Russian.
    Kristin
    bean
    Bean or Kristin,
    Monica

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied
    Originally posted by bean View Post
    My dd's teacher last year was a heritage speaker that works with the state department, so dd's vocabulary included things like "tank", which made her laugh, but since there are lots of language cognates with military vocabulary it made sense. Dorinda mentioned CLRC, and the book they use for first year Russian looks pretty straight forward: Beginner's Russian with Interactive Online Workbook: Kudyma, Anna, Miller, Frank, Kagan, Olga: 9780781812511: Amazon.com: Books

The website that goes with it seems to be up and running, but I didn't sign up for an account to look at it more closely.
    This is also the book that is used at the University of Minnesota for 3 semesters of Russian, so you can use this for at least 2 years of high school Russian.
    Kristin

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    bean Thank you. I ordered this simple one a few days ago. I am hoping it will give him something basic to work on so that he gets a sense of making progress. His interest in his Latin studies have grown now that he sees its benefit as he attempts to understand another language.

https://www.amazon.ca/Illustrated-Ru...s=books&sr=1-5
    Dd says her knowledge of Latin has been helpful with Russian Grammar.

Leave a comment:

• KikaMarie
    replied
    bean Thank you. I ordered this simple one a few days ago. I am hoping it will give him something basic to work on so that he gets a sense of making progress. His interest in his Latin studies have grown now that he sees its benefit as he attempts to understand another language.

https://www.amazon.ca/Illustrated-Ru...s=books&sr=1-5

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    My dd's teacher last year was a heritage speaker that works with the state department, so dd's vocabulary included things like "tank", which made her laugh, but since there are lots of language cognates with military vocabulary it made sense. Dorinda mentioned CLRC, and the book they use for first year Russian looks pretty straight forward: Beginner's Russian with Interactive Online Workbook: Kudyma, Anna, Miller, Frank, Kagan, Olga: 9780781812511: Amazon.com: Books

The website that goes with it seems to be up and running, but I didn't sign up for an account to look at it more closely.

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    No help personally- my sister in law is a native speaker, but I haven’t been able to talk my kids into trying Russian. I did see that classical learning resource center offers Russian language classes. They are super nice so they might have some suggestions for you.

Leave a comment:

• KikaMarie
    replied
    Originally posted by klwalukas View Post

My daughter's Russian curriculum was grammar based, but the texts were chosen by her Russian tutor. They were all texts actually from Russia, meaning the kind of grammar instruction that the Russians use to teach their students grammar, like we teach English grammar to our students. For what it is worth, her Russian tutor was very happy to have a student who was well grounded in grammar from having studied Latin because she didn't have to teach her grammar concepts first before they could start applying it to Russian.

Kristin
    Thank you, Kristin. I had been thinking that I may have to take the time to hunt down a good undergraduate program and ask about basic grammar resources that someone with no Russian background could follow on their own. I found something on Amazon that doesn't look great, but it seems to present some simple grammar concepts. That will have to do for now.
    Monica

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied
    Hi again, I'm bumping this up in case anyone knows of a Russian grammar program/workbooks similar to the MP books for the Latin forms.
    Thank you! Monica
    My daughter's Russian curriculum was grammar based, but the texts were chosen by her Russian tutor. They were all texts actually from Russia, meaning the kind of grammar instruction that the Russians use to teach their students grammar, like we teach English grammar to our students. For what it is worth, her Russian tutor was very happy to have a student who was well grounded in grammar from having studied Latin because she didn't have to teach her grammar concepts first before they could start applying it to Russian.

Kristin

Leave a comment:

• KikaMarie
    replied
    Originally posted by tanya View Post
    I asked around here, and no one knows of a good Russian program. Sorry we can't be of help at MP! All we would say is that it should be grammar-based, not immersion, unless you are just trying to learn to order coffee and find a restroom!

Tanya
    Thank you, Tanya! There's no end to the errands you get asked about - I appreciate you checking for me. I agree, grammar-based - my son realizes how much MP's Latin program is helping his language skills. I'll take a few chances and see what I can come up with on Amazon. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    I asked around here, and no one knows of a good Russian program. Sorry we can't be of help at MP! All we would say is that it should be grammar-based, not immersion, unless you are just trying to learn to order coffee and find a restroom!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• KikaMarie
    replied
    Hi again, I'm bumping this up in case anyone knows of a Russian grammar program/workbooks similar to the MP books for the Latin forms.
    Thank you! Monica

Leave a comment:

• KikaMarie
    replied
    Hello, I found this old thread and have an additional question. My almost-14-year-old is very interested in learning Russian. He has a few books from the library and access to the online language programs at our library, but he is looking for a Russian grammar book that is similar to the MP style workbooks for the Latin form series. Does anyone have suggestions for us?

Thank you! Monica

Leave a comment:

Working...
X