OT: Relief fund for MP families flooded by Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Relief fund for MP families flooded by Harvey

If you haven't been following the other thread about Hurricane Harvey, there are at least four MP families in southeast Houston who had extensive flood damage in the storm. They are all part of the Highlands Latin Cottage School -- Houston, which is a brand-new cottage school that hasn't even opened yet. Their campus didn't flood, and they still plan to open their doors on Monday, September 11, when the public schools start up again.

But 3 of their families, and one of their directors, have a ton to clean up and replace in the meantime. The co-director of the school lost everything she owned. The cottage school has set up a relief fund for these families. Here is the information I posted in the other thread:

"The immediate need of all the families is cash. Right now they are all staying with friends and would have no way to store any extra items. Eventually they will be renting other homes and vehicles to use while theirs are repaired/replaced, and it will take many months for FEMA financial aid to arrive (and it will inevitably underpay). They also have immediate costs for flood clean-up. If they even have flood insurance, there will be large deductibles to pay. Improvements to the home to reduce flooding risks are not covered by insurance or FEMA.

Donations may be made through the school and 100% will go to the families.

Please make checks out to Highlands Latin Cottage School-Houston (or HLCS-Houston) and write "Hurricane Relief" in the memo. Send to:

Highlands Latin Cottage School--Houston
    Attn: Angela Rimington
    Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
    18220 Upper Bay Rd
    Houston, TX 77058

This is a great chance to provide concrete help! If you are part of another HLS Cottage School, consider having some kind of fundraiser or just collecting donations from your families and sending one large check. "

Gift cards are an option, but please no store gift cards. We don't know what stores are convenient to them, and many are still closed. If you'd rather send a gift card than a check, please make it a Visa gift card or something like that. Also know that is going to go to one family while a cash donation will be split up between the four.

The director of the cottage school lost all her homeschooling books, so a Memoria Press gift card could be sent and designated for her.

Any questions let me know, and thank you so much!
    Catherine

2020-21
    DS17
    DS15
    DS13
    DD13
    DS8
    DD5
    DS 2.5

Homeschooling 4 with MP
    2 in classical school

Re: OT: Relief fund for MP families flooded by Harvey

Thank you for posting this!
    --Amanda

DD #1 - 3rd
    DD #2 - K

Comment

Catherine, thank you again for putting this all together. When disaster strikes - whether on large or small scale - we all heartbroken and want to help but it is paralyzing sometimes trying to figure out the best course of action. Knowing a person's most pressing needs helps to avoid burdening them further with our "help". May God bless your efforts!
      Please let Angela and Demeree (I always mess up that spelling!) and their cottage school families know how much they are loved and all of the prayers coming their way. <3
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I will gladly send money. Is there any chance of sending paypal? If not I will send through snail mail.

Thank you!!
        Christina

Comment

Originally posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
          I will gladly send money. Is there any chance of sending paypal? If not I will send through snail mail.

Thank you!!
          PayPal is a good idea, but I didn't talk to her about that. They are so busy I would rather wait to contact her again for a few days. I'd say send a check for now, or wait and I will check in with her next week about that.

Thanks!
          Catherine

2020-21
          DS17
          DS15
          DS13
          DD13
          DS8
          DD5
          DS 2.5

Homeschooling 4 with MP
          2 in classical school

Comment

Piggybacking on what Catherine has already reported...there is an update on the MP Houston cottage school families. As Irma prepares to rip Florida to shreds (prayers for all of you who are in her path!), I thought I'd take a minute to let you know about what's happening and the arduous process these families face in trying to repair, reclaim and rebuild.

First, one of the co-directors lost, quite literally, everything (three families did, but we happen to know all of her particular details). Both of their cars are total losses. Her house has already been ripped down to the studs and most everything inside was not salvageable. I spoke with the other co-director, who had helped with the cleanup efforts, and she said the floodwaters rose to between 4 and 5 feet within the home. When they finally receded, there was a layer of sludge over an inch think covering nearly everything - and it wasn't just mud. It also contained sewage and Lord knows what else - the stench was so bad that everyone was wearing masks and had to take frequent breaks for air. The sludge on the hardwood floors had to be completely scraped away before the furniture could be removed in order to rip out all of the drywall because volunteers were slipping and falling in it.

Perhaps worst of all is the fact that they still owe a mortgage on the house but can't live in it. They are now renting what was described as an "awful" little place because it was the only thing available and they're paying rent on top of mortgage. They do have flood insurance, but their adjustor told them last week that she can't even come to view the damage until *hopefully* the end of this month...and that their homeowner's insurance will NOT cover any of their possessions. Compounding the problem, her husband, like many employees who work in the oil or aerospace industry, is paid hourly wages. Many of them will not be able to go back to work in the next few weeks because of extensive damage to their buildings.

On top of this, their policies, like most Americans, have deductibles. There will be thousands of dollars in deductibles to pay before the insurance even begins coverage.

They did apply for emergency funds from the Red Cross but were turned down. At this point, the RC is overwhelmed and triaging people - if you have flood insurance or if you have a job, you are automatically disqualified at this point for emergency financial assistance or grants. There is an appeals process that can take weeks, but there is no immediate assistance. The greatest help has been from regular people, going house to house offering their time, talents and basic supplies like water or food. God bless those anonymous souls who took time away from jobs or family and spent their own money to help people they've never met. That is humanity at its finest.

The co-director I spoke to (who was not affected) said that this scenario is playing out with so many, many other families - we only know all the details of her co-director because they work so closely together. People do have insurance, they do have jobs, but they are in pretty dire straits because they simply can't do anything more than clean out and rip out drywall until the bureaucratic red tape involved with insurance or emergency funds finally works itself out. It will likely be months.

I asked them if I could share this (and was granted permission!) - I want you to know this not to cause you to despair, but because we (at least I didn't) don't always know what's really happening behind the headlines. It is so easy for us on the sidelines to say "it's just stuff" or "at least they had insurance" (I bristled when I heard this on a news report), but it is so, SO much different when one is in the trenches dealing with the crushing reality of the situation.

At this point, material donations are not being accepted simply because there is no central place to collect or store them. The families are overwhelmed just cleaning up and many are staying with relatives or friends. The co-director who is renting the small house has basic furniture on lend from friends. They do have their cottage school books, so curriculum is not needed. If you would like to contribute, checks can be sent to the address Catherine listed above (all of that money will be divided evenly between the affected families) or, if you'd like to send a gift card, Amazon seems to be the vendor of choice simply because UPS is now delivering to those areas and because they have a reliable supply of items ranging from groceries to clothing to books that aren't easily accessible right now with some stores being damaged. If you'd like to send a gift card, you can send me a PM and I'll supply the email address to send it to. The co-director said that her co-director burst into tears when a friend gave her a $10 Amazon card. She said it made her feel "human" again to be able to log in and choose a new bible to replace the family bible destroyed in the flood. Small gestures are indeed grand.

Someone had asked recently if they could set up a wishlist. This gets tricky when several families are involved and because they are receiving things from relatives/they have purchased some items and it gets tough to keep up with what's on there...especially as needs change.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do is pray. God is bigger than natural disasters and times like these are a jarring reminder of how fervently we should *always* be praying for our neighbors, our friends, for all of humanity. <3
            Last edited by Mary; 09-09-2017, 05:22 PM.
            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Thank you so much for following up on this, Mary, and sending us an update. We will indeed keep praying, and hopefully we will all do what we can to pitch in and lend a hand.

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 8
              DD, 6
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

Wow. I am so far removed from all this as I sit in KY on a pleasant sunny day. Thanks for the reminder that Harvey is not over, even though Irma has taken over the news.

Would you email me the email address for gift cards, please?

Thanks,

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  Wow. I am so far removed from all this as I sit in KY on a pleasant sunny day. Thanks for the reminder that Harvey is not over, even though Irma has taken over the news.

Would you email me the email address for gift cards, please?

Thanks,

Tanya
                  I just sent you a PM. Thanks so much! <3
                  Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                    Piggybacking on what Catherine has already reported...there is an update on the MP Houston cottage school families. As Irma prepares to rip Florida to shreds (prayers for all of you who are in her path!), I thought I'd take a minute to let you know about what's happening and the arduous process these families face in trying to repair, reclaim and rebuild.

First, one of the co-directors lost, quite literally, everything (three families did, but we happen to know all of her particular details). Both of their cars are total losses. Her house has already been ripped down to the studs and most everything inside was not salvageable. I spoke with the other co-director, who had helped with the cleanup efforts, and she said the floodwaters rose to between 4 and 5 feet within the home. When they finally receded, there was a layer of sludge over an inch think covering nearly everything - and it wasn't just mud. It also contained sewage and Lord knows what else - the stench was so bad that everyone was wearing masks and had to take frequent breaks for air. The sludge on the hardwood floors had to be completely scraped away before the furniture could be removed in order to rip out all of the drywall because volunteers were slipping and falling in it.

Perhaps worst of all is the fact that they still owe a mortgage on the house but can't live in it. They are now renting what was described as an "awful" little place because it was the only thing available and they're paying rent on top of mortgage. They do have flood insurance, but their adjustor told them last week that she can't even come to view the damage until *hopefully* the end of this month...and that their homeowner's insurance will NOT cover any of their possessions. Compounding the problem, her husband, like many employees who work in the oil or aerospace industry, is paid hourly wages. Many of them will not be able to go back to work in the next few weeks because of extensive damage to their buildings.

On top of this, their policies, like most Americans, have deductibles. There will be thousands of dollars in deductibles to pay before the insurance even begins coverage.

They did apply for emergency funds from the Red Cross but were turned down. At this point, the RC is overwhelmed and triaging people - if you have flood insurance or if you have a job, you are automatically disqualified at this point for emergency financial assistance or grants. There is an appeals process that can take weeks, but there is no immediate assistance. The greatest help has been from regular people, going house to house offering their time, talents and basic supplies like water or food. God bless those anonymous souls who took time away from jobs or family and spent their own money to help people they've never met. That is humanity at its finest.

The co-director I spoke to (who was not affected) said that this scenario is playing out with so many, many other families - we only know all the details of her co-director because they work so closely together. People do have insurance, they do have jobs, but they are in pretty dire straits because they simply can't do anything more than clean out and rip out drywall until the bureaucratic red tape involved with insurance or emergency funds finally works itself out. It will likely be months.

I asked them if I could share this (and was granted permission!) - I want you to know this not to cause you to despair, but because we (at least I didn't) don't always know what's really happening behind the headlines. It is so easy for us on the sidelines to say "it's just stuff" or "at least they had insurance" (I bristled when I heard this on a news report), but it is so, SO much different when one is in the trenches dealing with the crushing reality of the situation.

At this point, material donations are not being accepted simply because there is no central place to collect or store them. The families are overwhelmed just cleaning up and many are staying with relatives or friends. The co-director who is renting the small house has basic furniture on lend from friends. They do have their cottage school books, so curriculum is not needed. If you would like to contribute, checks can be sent to the address Catherine listed above (all of that money will be divided evenly between the affected families) or, if you'd like to send a gift card, Amazon seems to be the vendor of choice simply because UPS is now delivering to those areas and because they have a reliable supply of items ranging from groceries to clothing to books that aren't easily accessible right now with some stores being damaged. If you'd like to send a gift card, you can send me a PM and I'll supply the email address to send it to. The co-director said that her co-director burst into tears when a friend gave her a $10 Amazon card. She said it made her feel "human" again to be able to log in and choose a new bible to replace the family bible destroyed in the flood. Small gestures are indeed grand.

Someone had asked recently if they could set up a wishlist. This gets tricky when several families are involved and because they are receiving things from relatives/they have purchased some items and it gets tough to keep up with what's on there...especially as needs change.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do is pray. God is bigger than natural disasters and times like these are a jarring reminder of how fervently we should *always* be praying for our neighbors, our friends, for all of humanity. <3
                    Mary,

You have basically summarized what many families are going through in South Texas. We were blessed to be able to join the cleaning up efforts this past weekend. It was a very humbling experience to say the least. We met wonderful families who are so appreciative for the help they are receiving. If anybody else know of any other families that can benefit from clean up efforts (they usually have only 30 days to clean the home after the flood before their homes are considered inhabitable), please have them go to https://www.crisiscleanup.org and register. There are so many church groups and individual volunteers eager to help those in need.
                    Last edited by MG_; 09-12-2017, 01:05 PM.
                    ***Using some 5A and 8A MP materials for 2020-2021***

Comment

Working...
                    X