Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7/6A Guerber 13 Colonies Workload--Talk to Me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7/6A Guerber 13 Colonies Workload--Talk to Me...

In our plans (6A), we read the Gerber chapters on Monday (8-14 this week) & answered 7 200 Questions drill questions. Today we were supposed to review chapters 8-14 and complete 4 lessons in the 13 Colonies Student Workbook. Flipping ahead I see that there are always multiple lessons to be completed in the Workbook on Thursdays. That seems like a really big workload for one day. My daughter apparently thought so too because I just opened her work to mark it and it's blank. Ha! We'll talk about that tomorrow.

Can you all speak to how you've handled this workload in your homeschools?

I'd love to hear how HLS handles this study in the classroom, how much of the workbook they do by discussion versus writing, and if you do it on two days per week or handle it in one large block. My preference is not to scatter it bit by bit across the week. Maybe we'll discuss it more and not focus as much on the guide? It's an important and interesting study, but not high on my priority list compared with the other things we have going this year in 6A. Please let me know if I'm going astray here.

Thanks in advance!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Re: 7/6A Guerber 13 Colonies Workload--Talk to Me...

We also thought it was a lot of lessons for one week, especially with the work expected with third form latin. So far, my oldest has been doing a lesson a week. I don't know where that will leave us at the end of the year. In any case, I would also be curious to know if the students at HLS are expected to write out all the answers.
    Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
    Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

We did 7th last year (same as 6A) and the Guerber guide was not scheduled at all. We read Guerber and did 200 questions and that's all. I did buy the Guerber guide and tried to use it for oral discussion but it was too much for us. I'm pretty sure HLS doesn't do the Guerber guide- only the 200 questions. I'm thinking they added the Guerber guide since some were using it and wanted it scheduled, but that it is optional.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 21, Physics and math major
      DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
      DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
      DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Interesting. I've done 6A before, but apparently I wasn't paying very good attention.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
        DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Hoping to hear from MP on this also. We had the same experience our first time through it - of finding it overwhelming for one day - and ended up skipping the Gueber guide as well. Chose this as the one thing my new 6A student gets to "tweak." Wondering along with you guys...

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Hello.

We originally did not have the Guerber guide scheduled or included in the core package, but there were so many homeschoolers adding it on and requesting it in the lesson plans that we added it last year, I believe. At HLS, they do all of Guerber in one class period a week (approximately an hour and a half). They start with a review of drill questions from 200 Questions. They read the lesson aloud in class and discuss using the teacher guide (students don't have the guide). Then they answer the 200 Questions applicable for the week.

Tanya

Comment

Great to know, Tanya. Thank you!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
              DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

This is our method but only one week in, so I cannot say what this will look like by year-end!

Monday- Facts to Know, Vocab together (highlighting what will be tested)
                Read Guerber Lessons alone (most are pretty short, 1-page chapters)
                Go over questions in Guide orally together, Highlight/write out answers to questions that will be tested.
                ** This week included 6 chapters, two lessons, and three answers to write out. (I highlight anything that will be covered on tests in all my Teacher guides.)

Wednesday- (This seemed to me the easiest day to plug in American Studies.)
                Re-read chapters alone again. (She has much better retention with a second read, we do this for Christian Studies and FM series as well)
                Complete 200 Questions alone, Add new Drill cards/Review older drill cards, Enrichment (in Guerber Guide): This week I assigned Map, Timeline. I am not requiring the Composition assignments.

I printed out the Lesson plans on whole-sheet labels and plugged them into our manual. Hope this helps someone.

Best,
                Natalie
                Natalie

DD, age 13: CC 7M, with a few swaps
                DD, age 10: CC 5M
                Third year using full MP CC, Forth year homeschooling

Comment

I'm really glad I read this now, before I dove into American Studies. Our schedule is at sanity-hanging-on-by-a-thread status, so I was planning on punting American Studies and Greek Alphabet to later in the fall, with a later end time.

I'm bookmarking this post for later, so I can come back and see how Natalie's plans shook out for her.
                  Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                  DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                  DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                  DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                  DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                  DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

I am thankful to know this also. We hit the third form verb wall on week one. Less time on other subjects gives us more time for latin.
                    Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
                    Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

Natalie,
                      Thanks for this. I find that the "figure out what's on the test and then highlight those in my TM" step is what I almost never have time for. I know once you for you are set, but finding that amount of time to do it is difficult for me.

Over time as MP edits, republishes, reprints, I would really appreciate asterisks in the.TMs with this info!
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                      DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

I looked at the sample on the website, but can anyone tell me if there are any "essay" type questions in the study guide, where they are expected to do a little research on a topic? I would like to start teaching some research skills, and I think this would be a good subject for it.

Thanks!
                        Tracy
                        My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
                        MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaMom View Post
                          I looked at the sample on the website, but can anyone tell me if there are any "essay" type questions in the study guide, where they are expected to do a little research on a topic? I would like to start teaching some research skills, and I think this would be a good subject for it.

Thanks!
                          Yes, there are several, although these are in the enrichment section so they are something one can choose to include or not as suits the situation.
                          Ana, mama to
                          ds A, 15 yo
                          ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
                            Yes, there are several, although these are in the enrichment section so they are something one can choose to include or not as suits the situation.
                            Thanks Ana!
                            Tracy
                            My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
                            MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Working...
                            X