OT: Battle of the Latin Nouns - domus vs. domum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Battle of the Latin Nouns - domus vs. domum

My two older kids are locked in a hopeless argument about a Latin noun and I hope somebody *coughcoughMichaelcoughcough...if he's still speaking to me after the whole Pig Latin fiasco on another thread* can intervene before civil war breaks out in this house! *weary laugh*

A bit of history: My ds is finishing FFL, heading into SFL. My dd is currently taking Latin IV through the CLRC (she used Oxford Latin Course to learn Latin - the whole reason the late Mrs. Lowe likely wanted to box my ears).

Here's the problem:
    domus vs. domum - both defined as "house" or "home"

My daughter learned this noun as "domum", a 2nd declension noun that is neuter.
    My son, through FFL, learned this noun as "domus", a 4th declension noun that is feminine.

I learned the noun, also through OLC, as a 2nd declension neuter noun (domum). However, I'm really not sure. Is there a reason the same word would be included in 2 different declensions?
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Re: OT: Battle of the Latin Nouns - domus vs. domum

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
    My two older kids are locked in a hopeless argument about a Latin noun and I hope somebody *coughcoughMichaelcoughcough...if he's still speaking to me after the whole Pig Latin fiasco on another thread* can intervene before civil war breaks out in this house! *weary laugh*

A bit of history: My ds is finishing FFL, heading into SFL. My dd is currently taking Latin IV through the CLRC (she used Oxford Latin Course to learn Latin - the whole reason the late Mrs. Lowe likely wanted to box my ears).

Here's the problem:
    domus vs. domum - both defined as "house" or "home"

My daughter learned this noun as "domum", a 2nd declension noun that is neuter.
    My son, through FFL, learned this noun as "domus", a 4th declension noun that is feminine.

I learned the noun, also through OLC, as a 2nd declension neuter noun (domum). However, I'm really not sure. Is there a reason the same word would be included in 2 different declensions?
    The short answer is that domus shifts between the two declension, and students will see some 2nd-declension forms in addition to the 4th-declension forms. That being said, I cannot find any evidence for the alternate nominative form domum. Domum is always going to be accusative singular, so I would say teaching the noun as domum -i n. is incorrect, or at least misleading, as not every form of domus has a 2nd-declension variant. It would be more accurate to say that domus -ūs f. also has 2nd-declension forms in some oblique (non-nominative) forms. Here's the full declension from Allen & Greenough:

domus
    domūs
    domui (domo)
    domum
    domu (domo)

domūs
    domuum (domorum)
    domibus
    domūs (domos)
    domibus

I hope that this prevents civil war, but also that this doesn't cause any gloating from your son

Comment

DD is frantically searching for her OLC I book, where she swears she learned this. I'll let you know what she finds. According to the OLC III book I'm holding in my hands as I type this (okay, really, it's resting on the table beside me), "domus" is, in fact, a 4th declension feminine noun. I'm so glad I dug through two bins' worth of old books to find this...and I kind of wish I'd done it sooner. *cracks up laughing*

In the meantime, after reading your explanation, I am almost positive I had mixed "domus" up with "donum" when dd insisted that ds was wrong about domus being a 4th declension feminine noun. I have a feeling dd12 is going to eat some crow as soon as dd10 finds out... (Meanwhile, she is very angry and insists that she is right about this. Oooh, pre-teen rebellion!)
      Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
        Oooh, pre-teen rebellion!)
        Ooh, good luck with that! I have to get back to First Form Pig Latin now

Comment

I would just add, in accord with what Michael said, that domus forms of both declensions are considered feminine. I have never seen domus forms as neuter. I know that Caesar considered the second declension form domos to be feminine as he used a feminine adjective when he wrote, The Helvetians had left their homes -- domos suas.

Bonnie

Comment

*frantically searches for "First Form Pig Latin" thread because Mary cracks me up and I seriously need a laugh.*

Comment

Maria! It's right here

**Michael, I'm really sorry that we're all getting a laugh out of the pain I caused you. I owe you, and the rest of the MP staff, a nice gift for all the trouble I create on the forum.**
              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
              X