Questions about enrichment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about enrichment

If you are juggling multiple levels that schedule read aloud enrichment do you do all of them or just one level?

If you do just one level do you, do you do the level for the older child or the younger child or mix it up?

If you can barely get two brain cells to rub together let alone manage a week's worth of enrichment activities in a week do you find it better to just draw out a week's worth of activities over two weeks, or just stick to what you can pull off in just a week even if it's just reading the books?

Re: Questions about enrichment

Most families choose just one enrichment. I think you are referring to K,1st and 2nd; is that correct? I chose to start with the youngest enrichment and cycle through them with her grade level each year. Others choose to start with the oldest and work back. Either way is really fine. As for doing it all, it doesn't always happen. In fact it's rare that we get the craft completed. Start with the Read Aloud. If you want to add in more there are some moms who have great ideas on how to easily do that. Display the Art Card in a 5x7 frame and switch it out each week, just read through the info on the back before placing in the frame. Pickandgrin has put the music selections on a Spotify list and she is kind enough to share with us all! She uses the same name on Spotify, so should be easy to find. Some families collect all the craft supplies at the beginning of the year and put each one in a zippered bag so it's ready to go, I have not ever done this. I think it's a fantastic idea though! I try to get the poem read, but I've never pushed memeorizing it. Science and History books are great if you can find the time, but don't stress about it. And don't feel like they have to be the exact book MP has listed. Any child's book on the subject is fine, use what you have on your shelf. One more idea, some families do all of the enrichment in about an hour on Friday instead of spreading throughout the week. Hope that Helps! If you are asking about a different age group, let us know and we'll answer those questions.
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

I am only teaching 3 cores and a lot of enrichment gets passed over. Since my K'er is a creative and very independent sort, I just make sure to have a little tote filled with good quality activity books, gel pens and plain paper to keep her entertained while I'm working with her older siblings. We have never attempted any of the crafts in the enrichment book. *There! I said it!*

Like RunnerJoy said, I rotate the art cards to show that week's painting in a frame. Actually, there is a 5x7 shadowbox frame on Amazon that will hold all 3 years' worth of art cards (K, 1 and 2) in ONE frame! I put the cards in order and each week I just move the previous week's card to the back of the pile, which fits neatly into the frame, and display the next one in the set - no need to keep track of them. I invested in a second set of art cards that I laminated and put on a binder ring, since dd6 really likes her art cards. So that she can "study" them on her own, I made a tape recording of each piece/artist that she can follow along with (and I even rang a little bell in between to alert her to flip to the next card). This took about an hour of my time one afternoon but has given her countless hours of entertainment and learning.

As for the read-alouds, I do like them and I either treat them as bedtime stories or will read them during our one-on-one snuggle time. Some weeks we don't get to any of them, while other weeks we'll catch up and read a few. If you're dealing with multiple young ones in K-2, do as RunnerJoy suggested and pick one enrichment year to go through. Most of the K selections would still hold the interest of a 1st or 2nd grader, so that might not be a bad idea. <3

Another idea that might work for you is to find some of the enrichment read-alouds in audiobook form. My dd6 has a little plastic CD player that she adores - and she likes listening to her audiobooks during quiet rest time. You could do the same with a downloaded mP3 on an iPad, computer or phone.

It sounds as though I leave my poor little DD alone a lot - I swear I don't! During her down time, though, it's nice for her to feel independent.
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Your instincts were right! We suggest you pick an enrichment level and combine for this subject. It would be easiest to go with the kindergarten level and work your way up through 2nd. You will find 3rd or even 4th will enjoy the stories and could even do a reading if they wanted!

Mary- slight *wrist slap* for the craft book omission. (You know I am teasing! )

Blessings,
        Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
          Your instincts were right! We suggest you pick an enrichment level and combine for this subject. It would be easiest to go with the kindergarten level and work your way up through 2nd. You will find 3rd or even 4th will enjoy the stories and could even do a reading if they wanted!
          My older kids still crack up laughing at "Officer Buckle and Gloria" - one of the kindergarten selections. They like reading that one and "The Seven Silly Eaters" to their little sister. They will still also crowd around to listen to Robert McCloskey, Tomie de Paola, or Virginia Lee Burton.
          A well-written children's book transcends age. <3

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
          Mary - slight *wrist slap* for the craft book omission. (You know I am teasing! )
          I promise to try the enrichment crafts
          I promise to try....

Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
            My older kids still crack up laughing at "Officer Buckle and Gloria" - one of the kindergarten selections. They like reading that one and "The Seven Silly Eaters" to their little sister. They will still also crowd around to listen to Robert McCloskey, Tomie de Paola, or Virginia Lee Burton.
            A well-written children's book transcends age. <3

I promise to try....

Mary - after what you have been through this year, please pm me your address - I'm gonna try to help you out1
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Mary,

They make lovely gifts for the grandparents, but no pressure! In fact you have a pass because it has been quite a trying year!

Blessings,
              Michelle T

Comment

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback onto your question. I just came on here to ask nearly the same thing. I have a K & 2 going this year (and 4 & 6). We did 1st Enrichment last year, but I can't decide if I should do 2nd, or K, or a hybrid of the two. The biggest problem is that Stories for Little Americans and Patterns of Nature are scheduled as enrichment in 2nd. So if we do 2nd does my Ker do those books as well?

Comment

It's totally your choice! If you do 2nd then your second grader will be doing some extemporaneous reading from each of these and your little one can listen in. They are both small parts of the overall enrichment week.
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

2020-2021
                  11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                  @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                  11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I've decided to spend two weeks on each planned week of K-2 Enrichment. There is A LOT to do in those plans, and it's ALL good stuff. I'm thinking we'll just continue to rotate through for the next 8 years ... I'm hoping we'll get through each year at least twice, even going so slowly. I have a 7 and a 5 year old that will actively participate this year, but I'm sure the 3 year old will join in quite often (and a few of my big kids will probably be curious as well). I actually plan to do the Art and Music during Tea Time where everyone gathers to end the school day.
                    - Katherine, Army wife

dd, 23 :: Homeschool Grad
                    dd, 20 :: Homeschool Grad, University of Cincinnati
                    ds, 18 :: Homeschool Senior -> USAF
                    ds, 15 :: MP Greeks/Homer & Modern Biology
                    dsS, 13, 12, 10 :: mostly Core 5
                    ds, 8 + dd, 6 :: Core 1
                    dd, 3 :: ABCs, 123s, crayons, playdough, + paint

Comment

Working...
                    X