OT: Kristin Lavransdatter discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Kristin Lavransdatter discussion

I should have thought to post this sooner, but I finished reading Kristin two months ago and was browsing some places for online discussion of the trilogy. I found a Facebook group entitled Kristin Lavransdatter Discussion, led by Deal Wyatt Hudson, and they were already in the second book by the time I found it. The discussions have been Mondays at 8 ET, which doesn't work great for me, but is still fun to catch a bit of it or reread and add comments later. There was also talk of reading and discussing Master of Hestviken, also by Undset, in September. I know Anita recommended that one to those who enjoyed Kristin.
    2019-20
    DS--9, 3M/4M
    DD--7, mix of 1 and 2
    DD--5, MP K
    DS--3
    DS--1

Re: OT: Kristin Lavransdatter discussion

I have a few books that stay with me and become part of my being. The Kristin trilogy is definitely on that list!

When I finished, I told my husband, "If we ever have another baby, we might name her Kristin." He said, "What if it's a boy?" I said, "Then we'll name him Lavrans."

Thanks for posting!

Gigi
    Gina
    Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
    (since 2001)

DS-sophomore in college
    DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
    DD-9
    DS-8

Comment

Currently early in Book Two - The Wife over here! Having highs and lows with it...but have been told to be cautious about drawing conclusions too early...have to wait to see things unfold. Anyone else?

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
        Currently early in Book Two - The Wife over here! Having highs and lows with it...but have been told to be cautious about drawing conclusions too early...have to wait to see things unfold. Anyone else?

AMDG,
        Sarah
        Sarah,
        Ready to begin Book Two - I took a pause to read Esolen's "Out of the Ashes". But if I can read KL with you, I might get going again.
        Cindy
        Last edited by Cindy in Indy; 07-26-2017, 09:36 PM.
        Cindy Davis
        Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
        ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
        ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
        dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
          I took a pause to read Esolen's "Out of the Ashes"
          Cind
          I can't stop talking about that book! Good stuff! How did you like it?

I've only ever made it about a quarter of the way through the first Kristin book after several attempts. You all are inspiring me to start again.
          Katie

DS 17: Senior!
          DD 14: 10th
          DD 10: 6th
          Twin DD's 8: 3rd
          Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post

I've only ever made it about a quarter of the way through the first Kristin book after several attempts. You all are inspiring me to start again.
            Hi Katie,

Which translation were you reading? There is an older one that is really hard work to read, and a more recent translation by Tina Nunnally that is much easier. I tried the older one at first...not realising, and struggling and gave up before hearing about the newer translation. Now it's my one of my favourite books, I've never read anything like it.

Gigi,

I am expecting our fourth baby (I think it's a boy but I've been wrong before!) and we were both super keen on Lavrans for a middle name if it's a boy (he is such a faithful, faithful man in so many ways)...except it doesn't even remotely work with the first name I feel really strongly about (!)...fortunately another favourite book character works .

Sarah,

Yes, totally let it unfold. The Wife was my favourite, I think because it covers the stage of life I'm in now. Keep going, the end of the third book is totally worth it.
            Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
            Miriam 10yo
            Jonathan 8yo
            Elissa 5yo
            Thomas 2yo
            Caleb 2 months

Comment

The first book is the hardest to get through if Lyrical Descriptions of Scenery bog you down. Feel free to skim those parts.

You're welcome.

Jen
              DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Originally posted by sarahandrew View Post

Gigi,

I am expecting our fourth baby (I think it's a boy but I've been wrong before!) and we were both super keen on Lavrans for a middle name if it's a boy (he is such a faithful, faithful man in so many ways)...except it doesn't even remotely work with the first name I feel really strongly about (!)...fortunately another favourite book character works .
                Yay for book character names! Lavrans fits really well with my youngest (Nicholas), but he came a few years too early. I hadn't "met" Lavrans yet!

I definitely moved slowly through parts of the book. My translation had footnotes in the back that were helpful, especially with all of the political references.
                Gina
                Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
                (since 2001)

DS-sophomore in college
                DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
                DD-9
                DS-8

Comment

This thread made me so happy. I got the book for Christmas and finished it in March. I loved it, and like many of you said, "it sticks with you." I have a friend reading the book now, we have had some discussion. This is one of those book I will reread.
                  Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

Comment

It was just released on AUDIBLE. (!!!!!)
                    And yes, I now own it in audio form.

"Master of Hestvike"n is equally enamouring. And equally frustrating ... UNTIL THE END. I consider myself a HUGE literary snob; I can see what's coming, I understand plot, motivation, overarching themes -- THE WORKS. But the last few chapters of the last book of "Master of Hestviken" go down in literary history for me as some of the best literature ever written.

Truly.

I cried. And cried. And cried. (And I don't cry.) The ending is SUPREMELY Christian. That's all I have to say about that (so I don't spoil it for anyone else).

... If it's a girl, how about Sigrid ?
                    “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                    Wonder Boy 14 ... MP5 + R&S Math 6
                    Joy Bubble 12 ... MP5 full core
                    Cowboy 10 ... MP5 + R&S Math 4
                    Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                    All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

So you're saying someone CAN read it to me?!? Sold!
                      Katie

DS 17: Senior!
                      DD 14: 10th
                      DD 10: 6th
                      Twin DD's 8: 3rd
                      Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
                        It was just released on AUDIBLE. (!!!!!)
                        And yes, I now own it in audio form.

"Master of Hestvike"n is equally enamouring. And equally frustrating ... UNTIL THE END. I consider myself a HUGE literary snob; I can see what's coming, I understand plot, motivation, overarching themes -- THE WORKS. But the last few chapters of the last book of "Master of Hestviken" go down in literary history for me as some of the best literature ever written.

Truly.

I cried. And cried. And cried. (And I don't cry.) The ending is SUPREMELY Christian. That's all I have to say about that (so I don't spoil it for anyone else).

... If it's a girl, how about Sigrid ?
                        I have been waiting for it to reach audible for so long! I just used a credit to buy it.

Sigrid haha...it would be like when my husband and I used to joke about using the name Alyosha. We are Matthew and Sarah, our kids are Miriam, Jonathan and Elissa (for Elizabeth in Bible)...the poor kid would feel a little like the odd one out!

Have you read Ida Elisabeth? Totally different to Kristin (set in 1920s if I remember correctly) but oh my goodness, I couldn't put it down. I felt like I learned so much about human nature and ambiguity and what it is to be a woman. Better than any self-help or counselling book...Sigrid Undset knows people and reality. I read it as part of Bookclub. I was the only one who liked it but it made for *really* good discussion.
                        Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
                        Miriam 10yo
                        Jonathan 8yo
                        Elissa 5yo
                        Thomas 2yo
                        Caleb 2 months

Comment

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          Yeah, you really just want to kick Erlend in the teeth.
                          “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                          Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                          All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
                            Yeah, you really just want to kick Erlend in the teeth.
                            *Includes general comments on the story - hopefully no spoilers for those who have not read it.*

Well, not really. Undset really does a good job fleshing out her characters. She takes her time with that - you have to be patient, but she eventually hits everyone and gives them all a treatment so you understand each one better. For example, early on she describes Kristin's mother, and then only much later do we learn more of her backstory - which really helped me see her more as a person rather than a simple charicature. I have been repeatedly surprised by Undset in that regard.

Not so much irritated with Erland - he has not been a character who confused me. He acted in accord with how he was, and has been learning a lot about himself (and Kristin) all along. I have been more surprised by Kristin - either by her choice of actions (which seemed to come totally out of the blue in book one) or by her *reactions* to certain things. There is one time she is visiting Erland's brother and he offers her such wise counsel, but she becomes so distraught, she faints. I don't "get that." As I was reading what he was saying to her, I thought her heart would be bouyed, uplifted, and strengthened - and then she reacted completely the opposite. ???

But, past events have taught me to be patient and see how Undset brings it around again, and it may be another example of Kristin needing more time to come to the conclusion I was expecting. There have been a few things Undset did not return to explain, but not many - so it is keeping me reading.

Thoughts?
                            AMDG,
                            Sarah
                            Last edited by KF2000; 07-28-2017, 06:08 AM.
                            2020-2021
                            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                            DS, 17
                            DD, 15
                            DD, 13
                            DD, 11
                            DD, 9
                            DD, 7
                            +DS+
                            DS, 2

Comment

*Includes general comments on the story - hopefully no spoilers for those who have not read it.*

Well, not really. Undset really does a good job fleshing out her characters. She takes her time with that - you have to be patient, but she eventually hits everyone and gives them all a treatment so you understand each one better. For example, early on she describes Kristin's mother, and then only much later do we learn more of her backstory - which really helped me see her more as a person rather than a simple charicature. I have been repeatedly surprised by Undset in that regard.

Not so much irritated with Erland - he has not been a character who confused me. He acted in accord with how he was, and has been learning a lot about himself (and Kristin) all along. I have been more surprised by Kristin - either by her choice of actions (which seemed to come totally out of the blue in book one) or by her *reactions* to certain things. There is one time she is visiting Erland's brother and he offers her such wise counsel, but she becomes so distraught, she faints. I don't "get that." As I was reading what he was saying to her, I thought her heart would be bouyed, uplifted, and strengthened - and then she reacted completely the opposite. ???

But, past events have taught me to be patient and see how Undset brings it around again, and it may be another example of Kristin needing more time to come to the conclusion I was expecting. There have been a few things Undset did not return to explain, but not many - so it is keeping me reading.

Thoughts?
                              AMDG,
                              Sarah
                              Yes, this is the genius of Undset: characters are three-dimensional. They have flaws, virtues, bad habits, saintly motives, fleshly desires, heroic deeds and poor decision-making skills. They are so, so human. It's immensely compelling.

For example: everyone knows "an Erlend" -- charming, handsome, idealistic, impetuous, romantic, hotheaded, dashing, foolish, easily forgiven because "that's just him". Even though he does some things that are MADDENING, we hate that we still love him, just like Kristin. He makes me want to kick him because I'm basically infuriated that he can't not be who he is. But he's endearing anyway. ("How DARE YOU make me love you!")

Kristin is equally infuriating. She reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara in many ways. Spoiled, demanding, toughly delicate, prideful, but ultimately humble (unlike Scarlett). Her story definitely gets resolved, no worries.

Simon is my favorite character, by far. He is just heartbreaking.

But anyway --

Undset dangles carrots very, very well. And her language is sometimes so delicate (to remain proprietous) that you have to re-read a passage or two to understand what she's driving at. Things are veiled also to engage our curiosity and to keep us reading. She shows, she doesn't tell. So when things do get resolved (as they almost always do) you have a mental, "Ohhhhh!" moment.

Keep going!

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                              Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                              All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Working...
                              X