Prep for new school year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prep for new school year

What do homeschool and cottage school teachers prepare for a new school year?

Prepare a homeschool/cottage school calendar, print the quizzes and tests, mark the TM on what will come out in the tests, purchase school supplies and books, save music/birds MP links on desktop for easy access,

What else...?

TIA!
    Nieva, blessed to have such thoughtful MP friends

2021-2022: 8th year homeschooling and with MP
    DS14, 9th~ MPOA Latin, Kolbe Academy Freshman
    DS13, 8th~ MPOA except math and composition
    DS11, 6th~ MPOA except math and composition
    DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light, and without You, I am in darkness. ~St. Pio

Re: Prep for new school year

Prep flashcards for each subject. I like to have them sorted by lesson for adding them quickly to the stack each week.

Since we do some work at cottage school and some at MPOA and some at home, I like to white out things in the big lesson plan book whose instructions will be coming from elsewhere. I only want to see work that needs to be done.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I'm thinking of whiting things out in the manual as well (we use Math U See, and customized Latin and Composition). This is a silly question, but do you use the tape or the liquid?
      - Katherine, Army wife

dd, 23 :: Homeschool Grad
      dd, 20 :: Homeschool Grad, University of Cincinnati
      ds, 18 :: Homeschool Senior -> USAF
      ds, 15 :: MP Greeks/Homer & Modern Biology
      dsS, 13, 12, 10 :: mostly Core 5
      ds, 8 + dd, 6 :: Core 1
      dd, 3 :: ABCs, 123s, crayons, playdough, + paint

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
        Prep flashcards for each subject. I like to have them sorted by lesson for adding them quickly to the stack each week.

Since we do some work at cottage school and some at MPOA and some at home, I like to white out things in the big lesson plan book whose instructions will be coming from elsewhere. I only want to see work that needs to be done.
        Oh, organize the flash cards and lesson plans. Thanks Jessica.

DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light, and without You, I am in darkness. ~St. Pio

Comment

Originally posted by readingmother View Post
          I'm thinking of whiting things out in the manual as well (we use Math U See, and customized Latin and Composition). This is a silly question, but do you use the tape or the liquid?
          I prefer the tape! I asked my husband (since he was at the store when I needed some) to get it. I specifically asked for tape. He came back with the liquid. It was all I had, so I used it. I couldn't remember why I preferred the tape and then I used it...... It is ok in the beginning, but as soon as you get to the middle of the bottle, it start coagulating and it's just a pain. You also have to wait for it to dry. Now is a good time to buy the tape. I just picked up a 3 or 4 pack at staples!
          Christine

(2022/2023)
          DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
          DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
          DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Nievs,

Funny you should ask...I just finished having my yearly meeting with the kids to talk about what we want our daily routine to look like. We are getting ready to move, and as soon as we finish unpacking, we are going to jump into the new school year and I want our days set up ahead of time!

I know a lot of moms do a lot of prep - laminating flash cards is a big topic recently, as well as the things you mentioned....printing materials to have them handy, etc. I don't like having a lot of various things to keep track of - the sheer volume of books we need is enough for me to find shelf-space for! So I don't actually print much - just have my kids use their notebooks to answer the quizzes/tests directly from the TM. And all our flashcards get their own quart-size ziplock bags and get put into labeled tubs (left over from ham/turkey lunchmeat).

So today was my biggest "school prep" day - which was to talk with each of them about what my personal priorities are for their days, and how we can fit it all in. We have run the gamut between supper-detailed scheduled mode (which totally stresses everyone out) to an end-of-year lack of schedule mode (in which we are severely lacking in motivation and personal discipline). I got into the habit of making a checklist of what folks need to do everyday, but then realized it kind of duplicated the purpose of their planners.

SO the big brainstorm of this year is that we are going to do a cute, trendy chalkboard idea, that will have each of their names across the top sideways. Then in a column down the left side will be the following categories: Personal Prayer, Exercise, School, Piano Practice, Free Reading. These are the priorities I have for each of them, and as long as they get them in each day, I will be a happy momma. They will just add a checkmark to each box when it has been completed, and then we will start over each day. (I could have put a row for "Chores" too - but I don't super-schedule those. I basically see what needs to be done at break times and assign jobs in the moment. So they do chores as needed, not pre-planned. And then we have a once a week clean up day.)

I do have a simple schedule I made for my own reference that I will keep somewhere handy for myself - probably on the side of the fridge - to remind me of when I need to pray, exercise, do prayers with the kids, read to them, put them down for rest time, and feed them. It's getting harder (not easier) to remember my own goals for the day!!

The rest of our prep will simply be to unpack our entire house and get our shelves filled with books!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            Last edited by KF2000; 07-25-2017, 09:42 AM.
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Sarah, I love that. I've been mentally planning a sit down, but if it's going to happen I'm going to be the one to make it happen.
              ReadingMother, I use this correction tape: https://www.amazon.com/Tombow-Mono-H.../dp/B001LDKAVE The 10 pack is an Add-On item, so I toss it in with other purchases.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
              DD 7th • HLN & Home
              DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

I print quizzes & tests, try to go through the Teachers Manuals a bit, buy/or put all books on hold at the library (for read alouds & American Studies), and try to organize as much as possible. I make each kid a binder that has his lesson plans, spelling sheets, latin drill forms, paper, math worksheets, recitations, k art templates, daily schedule, chore list, booklist/poetry list for the year, ect. As I work my way through the kids, they should have the binder with them so I can easily see where they are in the day (from the planner) and easily direct them through the rest of their day. I am a visual person, and I have two little toddlers, so the checklists right in front of each person really help me keep the day moving!

I also have a big white board and I write the Morning Offering, Pledge of Alliegiance, each child's scripture and latin verse for the week and anything else I want them to recite at the beginning of each school day.
                Stacie
                2017-2018 School Year
                10 year old boy, 5th grade but trying to get OFF the accelerated track
                8 year old boy, 3rd
                5 year old boy, K
                3 year old boy
                1 year old girl

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                  Sarah, I love that. I've been mentally planning a sit down, but if it's going to happen I'm going to be the one to make it happen.
                  ReadingMother, I use this correction tape: https://www.amazon.com/Tombow-Mono-H.../dp/B001LDKAVE The 10 pack is an Add-On item, so I toss it in with other purchases.
                  Hi Jessica, do you buy your school supplies on Amazon?

DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Comment

Hi Sarah, I thought about you when I printed the PDFs. I read a previous post of yours where you explained that you let your kids answer in notebooks for quizzes and tests. It's so much to print (ink and paper!) but I only have two that need testing right now. Maybe next year I'll follow your way.

I also talked to my 3 boys about our schedule- what changes they want and what they want to keep. It's hard because they'll just tell me "Whatever you want mom, we like the schedule you made." Each time.

And I will for sure do a chart for exercise for each one of us. We've gained so much weight since homeschooling.

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                    Nievs,

Funny you should ask...I just finished having my yearly meeting with the kids to talk about what we want our daily routine to look like. We are getting ready to move, and as soon as we finish unpacking, we are going to jump into the new school year and I want our days set up ahead of time!

I know a lot of moms do a lot of prep - laminating flash cards is a big topic recently, as well as the things you mentioned....printing materials to have them handy, etc. I don't like having a lot of various things to keep track of - the sheer volume of books we need is enough for me to find shelf-space for! So I don't actually print much - just have my kids use their notebooks to answer the quizzes/tests directly from the TM. And all our flashcards get their own quart-size ziplock bags and get put into labeled tubs (left over from ham/turkey lunchmeat).

So today was my biggest "school prep" day - which was to talk with each of them about what my personal priorities are for their days, and how we can fit it all in. We have run the gamut between supper-detailed scheduled mode (which totally stresses everyone out) to an end-of-year lack of schedule mode (in which we are severely lacking in motivation and personal discipline). I got into the habit of making a checklist of what folks need to do everyday, but then realized it kind of duplicated the purpose of their planners.

SO the big brainstorm of this year is that we are going to do a cute, trendy chalkboard idea, that will have each of their names across the top sideways. Then in a column down the left side will be the following categories: Personal Prayer, Exercise, School, Piano Practice, Free Reading. These are the priorities I have for each of them, and as long as they get them in each day, I will be a happy momma. They will just add a checkmark to each box when it has been completed, and then we will start over each day. (I could have put a row for "Chores" too - but I don't super-schedule those. I basically see what needs to be done at break times and assign jobs in the moment. So they do chores as needed, not pre-planned. And then we have a once a week clean up day.)

I do have a simple schedule I made for my own reference that I will keep somewhere handy for myself - probably on the side of the fridge - to remind me of when I need to pray, exercise, do prayers with the kids, read to them, put them down for rest time, and feed them. It's getting harder (not easier) to remember my own goals for the day!!

The rest of our prep will simply be to unpack our entire house and get our shelves filled with books!

AMDG,
                    Sarah

DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Comment

Originally posted by Staciek View Post
                      I print quizzes & tests, try to go through the Teachers Manuals a bit, buy/or put all books on hold at the library (for read alouds & American Studies), and try to organize as much as possible. I make each kid a binder that has his lesson plans, spelling sheets, latin drill forms, paper, math worksheets, recitations, k art templates, daily schedule, chore list, booklist/poetry list for the year, ect. As I work my way through the kids, they should have the binder with them so I can easily see where they are in the day (from the planner) and easily direct them through the rest of their day. I am a visual person, and I have two little toddlers, so the checklists right in front of each person really help me keep the day moving!

I also have a big white board and I write the Morning Offering, Pledge of Alliegiance, each child's scripture and latin verse for the week and anything else I want them to recite at the beginning of each school day.

Thank you, Stacie. You've just reminded me of the morning time and library books for read aloud and American Studies.

DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Comment

Thank you Christine and Jessica, I added some to our cart at checkout ... now to hide it from the kids!

Also, your post was so encouraging, Sarah -- I believe we're kindreds.

And Nievs, we've been purchasing our school supplies in bulk from Amazon for years. I'm pretty picky about what we use, and you can't beat their prices -- even with all these sales going on.
                        - Katherine, Army wife

dd, 23 :: Homeschool Grad
                        dd, 20 :: Homeschool Grad, University of Cincinnati
                        ds, 18 :: Homeschool Senior -> USAF
                        ds, 15 :: MP Greeks/Homer & Modern Biology
                        dsS, 13, 12, 10 :: mostly Core 5
                        ds, 8 + dd, 6 :: Core 1
                        dd, 3 :: ABCs, 123s, crayons, playdough, + paint

Comment

Originally posted by Islander View Post
                          I also talked to my 3 boys about our schedule- what changes they want and what they want to keep. It's hard because they'll just tell me "Whatever you want mom, we like the schedule you made." Each time.

And I will for sure do a chart for exercise for each one of us. We've gained so much weight since homeschooling.
                          I am so glad your boys are so agreeable! Yay for kids being happy with the plan!

And the exercise - man, it's so easy to let it slide, but last year I felt the most lack of balance in our day - lots of "sit down and work" without much "get up and move"! I know as I get older my health is changing, and I want my kids to have good habits too. That is what this year is going to be about for us: a better sense of balance in our priorities. The amount of time we commit to each area will obviously be unequal, but giving each area it's own appropriate amount of time is what I am going to shoot for. Happy planning to you!

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2020-2021
                          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                          DS, 17
                          DD, 15
                          DD, 13
                          DD, 11
                          DD, 9
                          DD, 7
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by readingmother View Post
                            Thank you Christine and Jessica, I added some to our cart at checkout ... now to hide it from the kids!

Also, your post was so encouraging, Sarah -- I believe we're kindreds.

And Nievs, we've been purchasing our school supplies in bulk from Amazon for years. I'm pretty picky about what we use, and you can't beat their prices -- even with all these sales going on.

I've been going to Walmart for school supplies, but the correction tape from Amazon that Jessica shared is cheaper than the ones I purchased. I'll be checking out Amazon from now on. Thanks, Katherine.

DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Comment

It really varies. I confess to using Amazon to avoid crowds, plus I order in the middle of the night when I remember. I usually buy our pens (various Pilot Vball favorites) there and things like loose leaf paper rings, laminating pouches, & post-its.
                              Festina lentē,
                              Jessica P

DD 7th • HLN & Home
                              DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Working...
                              X