First Grade Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Grade Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling

I'd like to purchase this to help me teach my struggling reader. Can someone please tell me the books I need in order to follow this guide? I currently have a hodgepodge of MPK and SC2.

Thanks!
    Katie

DS 17: Senior!
    DD 14: 10th
    DD 10: 6th
    Twin DD's 8: 3rd
    Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Re: First Grade Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling

Spelling Workout B, Core Skills 2, Classical Phonics, Primary Phonics Readers sets 5 and 6, Phonics Flashcards, and Storytime Treasures
    - Katherine, Army wife

dd, 23 :: Homeschool Grad
    dd, 20 :: Homeschool Grad, University of Cincinnati
    ds, 18 :: Homeschool Senior -> USAF
    ds, 15 :: MP Greeks/Homer & Modern Biology
    dsS, 13, 12, 10 :: mostly Core 5
    ds, 8 + dd, 6 :: Core 1
    dd, 3 :: ABCs, 123s, crayons, playdough, + paint

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
      I'd like to purchase this to help me teach my struggling reader. Can someone please tell me the books I need in order to follow this guide? I currently have a hodgepodge of MPK and SC2.

Thanks!
      I think you have posted in the SC forum, but to help more, can you describe what is going on with your daughter and what you have done/tried? Honestly, the book that made things click for me was the book recommended in the SC1 plans "Phonics from A to Z". You also may need to slow way down. I have seen the recommendation to have two separate short phonics session a day as well and this has been helpful for us.

How has she progressed with the MPK phonics? Which books has she completed and can read well from?
      Christine

(2022/2023)
      DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
      DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

I am waiting to hear about your reader as well. But wanted to add that will Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling will also cover More Story Time Treasures. You will need the coordinating literature books for STT and MSTT as well.

Blessings,
        Michelle T

Comment

Thank you!

We have completed FSR, Core Skills Phonics K-2 (she's done book 2 twice), Primary Phonics Readers sets 1 &2, the American Language Series--struggled with At the Farm. Moose Moments was too much at one time so we had to slow that way down. She can read Little Bear in small chunks, not all the way through. We've also completed most of 100EZ lessons, SC2 Spelling, Core Skills Spelling 1, and through most of Explode the Code 2.

She has completed 6 lessons in, SC Story Time Treasures, SC writing. I stopped these not because she couldn't do them but because I really wanted to focus on getting her efficient at reading.

Here's the thing, she does all these Phonics and spelling workbooks with ease.. But putting it all together is a big struggle. We are suspecting dyslexia but waiting for a formal diagnosis. I hope to have this by the end of the summer.

She's doing well in her cursive and is at lesson 114 in R&S 1 math. She copies beautifully in her copybook and sentences I write on the board. Writing doesn't seem to be a struggle at all, although she is ambidextrous. She seems to use her right hand more now, but will still switch to left when she tires.

This daughter is my puzzle. Very bright, excellent memory (which leaves me wondering at this point shouldn't she just know a good chunk of words from memory?) but all over the board fitting her into the appropriate grade level. She just turned 7 yesterday

I looked at the Phonics Guide and I am really drawn to the format. I thought maybe this would help us win some more reading and Phonics structure without repeating all the things she's already done.

Thanks for your help.
          Katie

Comment

So, until you get a final report for the suspected dyslexia, I suggest an intensive period of oral reading. Start with easier books reading them 3 times. Once for decoding, once for speed and fluency and once for expression. Go through stories from FSR, Fun in the Sun, Scamp and Tramp, and Soft and White. Focus on reading only for a couple of weeks and see if progress is made.

Blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

Thanks, Michelle. Good idea. We are officially starting our school year this coming Monday, but maybe I'll just focus on reading with this child and hold off on the other things for a while.
              Katie

Comment

Working...
              X