Sodalitas Gathering 2017 Reflections and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sodalitas Gathering 2017 Reflections and Discussion

Gosh it is quite expensive. I grabbed a copy from inter library loan because I don't spend that much on a book without a better feel if I am going to like it. I have heard the title mentioned on here, but had no idea of the topic. Sounded to me like a spinoff of a Jane Austen novel...sense and sensibility, norms and nobility...can't wait to give it a try.
    Dorinda

For 2020-2021
    DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
    DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
    DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
    DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Dorinda! That's hilarious and I absolutely see where you might think that (Austen). Haha!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2020-2021
      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I am finally home from our big road trip that started in Louisville! We traveled through the South, all the way to Florida and back, and when we arrived home it was hotter here in Kansas than anywhere we went.

I had a wonderful time at Sodalitas.The MP staff were all incredible. Their hospitality was top-notch! Louisville is a beautiful city full of friendly people. Al of the time we spent there was special. We went to mass on Sunday morning at the parish closest to our hotel. The homily there was so meaningful. Even our 9-year-old talked about it later, and we all referenced it throughout the rest of the trip.

I don't know anyone here who uses MP as a full curriculum, so for me, it was very nice to meet like minded parents at Sodalitas.

I learned so much, which is one of the very best things about classical education--no matter how long you've been doing it, it's always possible to learn more.

Here's a confession: I really dislike the Little House books. I don't know why exactly, but the just get under my skin. After hearing Mr. Cothran say that Farmer Boy is almost poetry, I may have to give that one another try. If I do, it will be my 3rd attempt to read that book. Honestly, I may not be able to even pick it up again. We'll see...

Thanks to Mr. Pudewa, every time I see a little boy dressed in a Darth Vader t-shirt, I think to myself, "There's an inverted archetype." When I was a child, everyone wanted to be Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia. (Well, everyone except me. I wanted to be Han Solo, but that's a story for a different time) Now, stores are full of Darth Vaders, storm troopers, Kylo Ren and various other "dark siders." Stride Rite makes shoes with Darth Vader wielding a light saber that flashes with every step. Inverted archetype. I personally love Star Wars and have since I was 10. I'm not sure when or how this change occurred, but it's something that I notice.

We ended our trip at DisneyWorld, a place my kids call their "second home." After hearing Fairy Tales and the Moral Imagination, all I could think as we walked through Hollywood Studios was, "that poor Little Mermaid."

Thanks to all who made Sodalitas possible!
        Gina
        Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
        (since 2001)

DS-sophomore in college
        DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
        DD-9
        DS-8

Comment

Gina,
          Have you ever tried to listen to Farmer Boy? Cherry Jones' reading of all these books is masterful. We buy them when they are on sale and check the others out from the library all the time. https://www.amazon.com/Farmer-Boy-Li...+boy+audio+cds

I was inspired to re-listen to it after that comment as well!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2020-2021
          11th year HSing · 9th year MP
          @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
          11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I’ve been putting off my response because I can’t format my thoughts well. So be prepared for random thoughts, incorrect grammar, and the like.

During Mary’s talk I wrote down “Don't succumb to the temptation to believe that where you are is where you will always be. This is just a page in your story, not the end of your story.” I haven’t felt settled in several years. Our family has been in transition for I don’t know even know how long. We recently moved and bought our first home. I have been waiting for this for years. Because I just want to be settled. Now that we’ve moved I’m just overwhelmed with what needs to be done. With how to connect in a new community. I’m feeling lonely. I keep coming back to those words from Mary and they are giving me permission to just sit in this season. Accept it. Knowing, it won’t always be like this. What does this have to do with homeschool? Part of me wants to jump into the local homeschool community in an effort to make connections both for myself and my kids. I know if I start signing up for every club and activity I will regret it. My reason would be good - we need connection. But I’m going to really consider what we say yes to. What is good for us, all of us. I’m going to take my time deciding what is worthy of our time. And choose any extras because they are good for us, not because I’m desperate to get out and meet people

I really enjoyed Andrew Pudewa’s talk. My little guy found a dragon book at the library last week and I was so excited to get it for him. “We don’t read fairy tales to our children so they know dragons exist. We read them so they know dragons can be slain.” I really want to get my hands on the book “The Mysteries of Life in Children’s Literature.” I definitely want to find a fairy tale to read with the kids this semester. “Stories will reaffirm I’m loved and wanted and the happiest place is home.” I want that for myself and for my children.

Practically speaking, someone in the multiple cores panel suggested making the end of the day activities rewards to be given not punishments to be taken away. I plan to change how I talk about things like play dates, park runs, library trips. I love the positive spin she put on these activities.

I also enjoyed continuing conversations from past years. I am amazed at how easy it is to connect with people I only see once a year. This community is amazing.

Thank you for all the work that went into planning and hosting Sodalitas. Every time I spoke with staff from Memoria Press, I was so impressed with how gracious and welcoming you were.
            Katy
            2017-2018
            DD 8, 3A
            DS 4, Junior Kindergartem

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              Gina,
              Have you ever tried to listen to Farmer Boy? Cherry Jones' reading of all these books is masterful. We buy them when they are on sale and check the others out from the library all the time. https://www.amazon.com/Farmer-Boy-Li...+boy+audio+cds

I was inspired to re-listen to it after that comment as well!
              I could gush about Farmer Boy to anyone and everyone. I devoured all of the Little House books when I was a kid, EXCEPT Farmer Boy. Why? Because I thought it was a "boy book". Pfft.

When Rachel read it in 3rd grade, the entire family was mesmerized. We absolutely love it. Cherry Jones is a splendid narrator. <3
              Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
              DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
              DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
              DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
              DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
              DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Originally posted by Gigi View Post
                I am finally home from our big road trip that started in Louisville! We traveled through the South, all the way to Florida and back, and when we arrived home it was hotter here in Kansas than anywhere we went.

I had a wonderful time at Sodalitas.The MP staff were all incredible. Their hospitality was top-notch! Louisville is a beautiful city full of friendly people. Al of the time we spent there was special. We went to mass on Sunday morning at the parish closest to our hotel. The homily there was so meaningful. Even our 9-year-old talked about it later, and we all referenced it throughout the rest of the trip.

I don't know anyone here who uses MP as a full curriculum, so for me, it was very nice to meet like minded parents at Sodalitas.

I learned so much, which is one of the very best things about classical education--no matter how long you've been doing it, it's always possible to learn more.

Here's a confession: I really dislike the Little House books. I don't know why exactly, but the just get under my skin. After hearing Mr. Cothran say that Farmer Boy is almost poetry, I may have to give that one another try. If I do, it will be my 3rd attempt to read that book. Honestly, I may not be able to even pick it up again. We'll see...

Thanks to Mr. Pudewa, every time I see a little boy dressed in a Darth Vader t-shirt, I think to myself, "There's an inverted archetype." When I was a child, everyone wanted to be Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia. (Well, everyone except me. I wanted to be Han Solo, but that's a story for a different time) Now, stores are full of Darth Vaders, storm troopers, Kylo Ren and various other "dark siders." Stride Rite makes shoes with Darth Vader wielding a light saber that flashes with every step. Inverted archetype. I personally love Star Wars and have since I was 10. I'm not sure when or how this change occurred, but it's something that I notice.

We ended our trip at DisneyWorld, a place my kids call their "second home." After hearing Fairy Tales and the Moral Imagination, all I could think as we walked through Hollywood Studios was, "that poor Little Mermaid."

Thanks to all who made Sodalitas possible!
                Yes, please do try to listen to the Little House series on audio. Cherry Jones is a fabulous narrator!
                Katie

2020/21: 7th year with MP
                DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P
                DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program; Catholic Social Teaching, VT Alg. 1
                DD 9: MP 5, Seton Religion and Spelling, MPOA: FF Latin, Fable
                Twin DD's 7: MP 2, Seton Religion and Phonics

Comment

What a great suggestion to try listening instead of reading aloud! Then all I have to do is get myself to press "play." I really don't know what my aversion is to that series, but it is seriously strong. We love Audible here, so that would be an easy thing to try.
                  Gina
                  Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
                  (since 2001)

DS-sophomore in college
                  DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
                  DD-9
                  DS-8

Comment

Originally posted by TammyLiz View Post
                    Hello! <3

My name is Tammy and I am happy to have met some of you beautiful people at Sodalitas this year. I told a few that I would post on the forum so here I am doing so.

For me Sodalitas was a chance to get my focus and indulge in conversation about things that I usually don't have time to discuss. It was a chance to step back and evaluate my home school and myself. It was also a great way to gain a vision for using the curriculum with my kids this year, since this will be our first year using it.

I want to say thank you to those who shared with me your struggles in personal conversation, and those who listened to mine. It is good to not be alone. God bless.

--Tammy M.
                    TAMMY! Welcome! I'm so glad you posted - come back and share some more! <3
                    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

When will the audio recordings from the large group discussions be posted?

Comment

We're hoping to have them ready in a month, which would be a world record for us! Wish us luck!

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                        X