Sodalitas Gathering 2017 Reflections and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sodalitas Gathering 2017 Reflections and Discussion

This thread will serve as a central place for reflections and discussion from the 2017 Sodalitas Gathering.

Welcome to those of you we've finally convinced to join the forum!

To the attendees: once you've had a bit to rest up and reflect on your experience this year, please take a moment to share here things you gleaned from SG2017.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Re: Sodalitas Gathering 2017 Reflections and Discussion

It was amazing 2 days, lots of great info, fellowship with like minded homeschoolers and equipping for Fall. If you didn't attend make sure you plan to next year. You won't want to miss it!
    Dawn Boston

Comment

Originally posted by Dboston View Post
      It was amazing 2 days, lots of great info, fellowship with like minded homeschoolers and equipping for Fall. If you didn't attend make sure you plan to next year. You won't want to miss it!
      Dawn,
      What a treat to have you there! It's astounding to think how much every individual brings to the table. You are a great example of this. Thank you for kicking off the responses.

All,
      This will be choppy because I'm STILL at the teacher training soaking up all the goodness with our teachers through tomorrow night. I spent all day in Logic and Rhetoric today with Mr. Cothran leading and a room of friends learning alongside. I'd never studied logic before but I made it through reducing a syllogism, twice!! You know that experience of physically feeling your brain work? It happened to me today, folks! Over and over, I get more excited about what awaits my kids in the next few years.

So, here's a few SG things from me, bullet-style:

-Mark your calendars: 2018 SG/Teacher Training is July 9 to 13th. Pencil that week in now, if you want to join us! Registration usually opens in the winter.

-It's one thing to be told how to teach something, it's another (and far better experience for me) to be taught it by a master teacher. This happened several times this week. I need plenty of the latter to really learn by imitation.

-SG is going to continue to grow because you all are amazing. This means we have to take personal responsibility to make it the best we can each year. By "we" I mean those of us who come. More people means less intimacy on a macro scale but it need not mean that on a personal level. We have to make it the conference we want it to be by showing up and welcoming, sharing, including, encouraging, and reaching out. We are coming to give as well as to receive. That's our job and we can do it.

-Many are coming to MP with older children and though tremendously experienced in homeschooling, are new to MP, multiple cores, managing adjusted sequences and expectations. I think it's beautiful that you all are being brave enough to change course from what is familiar (and probably cheaper because you already own so much) to dive into something new. May you be blessed in your doing.

-The MP/HLS/CLSA staff laid it all on the line this week. They served around the clock, seen and unseen, to make each of these FIVE days work. They are amazing. Thank you!

-Every year, I love seeing familiar faces across the room. Every year, I love meeting new friends.

Thank you all for a great week in Kentucky, again!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2020-2021
      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Hello, dear friends! I'm still in Louisville for teacher training after that, driving back to Texas and, after that, hanging out in the Woodlands at the THSC convention...so I figured I'd better share all that's percolating in my head now. Otherwise, I'll come back in 2 weeks and say something profound like, "it was fun". *Dissolves into fits of giggles*

Here are my thoughts, in bullet point form, about Sodalitas (so far):

1. I was over the moon when I got to meet some of my heroes! Cindy Davis and Cheryl & Michelle Swope! And they actually talked to me! *Squeals, clutches pillow to chest like giddy schoolgirl* I love that we can mingle with the people we look up to and that we're able to see them both in their glory and also in their profound, beautiful humanity. <3 (I'm also super giddy that I got to stand next to Mrs. Hatfield in the group photo. I can pretend we're close pals. "Yeah, that's my good friend Mrs. Hatfield, author of 'New American Cursive' standing next to me in this picture...'")

2. Best. Roommate. Evah! If you haven't become acquainted JodiSue, you should really make a point to do this. This is the beauty of the gathering - I didn't know her until the first Sodalitas when we were accidental roommates. I now consider her a dear friend. I was thinking about how great it is to be able to meet and truly befriend the human beings behind the screen names and forum posts - this is, perhaps, the most important aspect of Sodalitas.

3. So much beauty! So much wisdom! So much...suffering. I was thinking about this a lot over the two (three) days we were all together. It seems that most of us have not chosen homeschooling because we have some perfect Little House on the Prairie worthy-of-a-magazine-cover life. Instead, we want something beautiful and good and true, but that formative education looks scary and we second-guess ourselves all the time. I really, truly think that many of our curriculum quandries stem from our own feelings of inadequacy, our fear of failure and/or other life stressors. I think it's really good to get together and talk openly and honestly about things going on outside of homeschooling that might be affecting our ability to educate our children. I was so, so humbled hearing others' stories and I hope we can keep talking to and praying for each other on this level. We need each other! <3

4. I was so blessed to sit through the SFL intensive yesterday, led by Mrs. Taylor. It hit me hard that Latin is about to get real. Instead of trying to stay a year or two ahead of the kids in subjects like logic or Greek, I need to cut that out and stay where they are right now. No more taking courses to get a leg up on the kids for the time-being - I need to be in the present attending to what is in front of me, not worrying about what's around the bend. **Note to self: Change signature line to reflect that the logic and Russian and Greek books have been shelved**

5. Perhaps the most important lesson I've taken away is the amount of time, talent and manual labor that the MP staff and parent volunteers dedicate to make this happen. It was my joy to spend today serving the homeschoolers, cottage/Latin school teachers and admins for the first day of Teacher Training. What you may not know is that there are HLS teachers and staff members, Memoria Press staff (including warehouse staff!) and even Campus Quilts employees working tirelessly behind the scenes doing such jobs as busing tables, washing loads of tablecloths, chopping veggies (100 lbs of potatoes and 36 lbs of broccoli this afternoon alone!), sweeping floors, making coffee, stocking each cottage with snacks/drinks, hauling chairs and doing anything else (which is a TON) that needs to be done. At one point today, I stood next to a PhD Latin scholar, both of us wearing aprons and peeling potatoes. Across from us was the MP warehouse director making coffee and beside him was the HLS principal holding a tray. Seriously! Nobody was pretentious and everyone had a smile on his/her face, despite the fact that our feet were killing us and our backs were dying from all that bending and chopping and lifting. It was surreal!

This is truly unheard of and is the very personification of what we're trying to do in our homeschools. We are surrounded by well-rounded, humble servants of Christ (many of whom have impressive degrees and speak multiple languages!) who are so willing - joyfully! - to serve in any capacity they can. I am in awe of this beautiful company and all of the selfless people who work here.

Now, I have to hit the hay. I think there will more broccoli to chop tomorrow.
        Last edited by Mary; 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM. Reason: Typos galore!
        Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Yesterday was a bittersweet day for me as I flew home. Of course I am so excited to get back to my peeps here at home, but leaving Louisville is getting harder every year.

This year my sadness was tempered a bit as I started chatting with the gentleman seated next to me on the plane, and he asked me what I had been doing in Louisville. After I said "homeschool conference" the man asked how we do homeschool. Of course this is where I take a mental pause to get ready to go into a spiel about classical education. Before I did that he asked, "Do you use Memoria Press?" Of course I about fell out of my chair, but then he explained that both of his kids attended HLS. Serendipitous! We even had sons going into the same grade, so we could compare experiences. AND, for anyone doubting the value of a classical education for those in the STEM field? This man was the head of the department of mechanical engineering at a university there in Louisville. So, there's that.

My big takeaways from Sodalitas this year were solidarity and friendship. The first year I came I made friends. The second year I came back I was excited to see those friends again (and excited that they remembered who I was and still wanted to sit by me :P). This year, before I even got to Sodalitas, my heart was bursting with the idea that I would get to see my friends again after a year of text messages, FB notes, forum posts, sharing in joys, sharing in discouragements, getting to (as someone much smarter than me put it) virtually walk alongside them doing a really hard thing with our kids.

On a personal level, Sodalitas has changed my life by giving me dear friends. That is a tremendous gift. And, really, as mostly an introvert who prefers to stay home most of the time because I find myself to be a bit socially awkward, it was completely surprising. So I would say, come back for multiple years and latch on to people and keep in touch with them.

On a practical level, I left Sodalitas ready to forge ahead into PreK, 3rd, and 5th grade, recognizing that everyone does things a bit differently and my need to be flexible for my own kids' education should outweigh my need to do things rigidly.

I am still thinking on it and processing more of my trip, but those are things that immediately come to mind.

And Mary is wrong...she is the best roommate ever, to put up with my late night rambling and ranting about random topics.
          Jodi
          ~~~~~~~
          2019-20 School Year:
          Ethan (7A)
          Matthew (5A)
          Silas (1st)
          Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
          Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

I must admit that I was a little nervous to go to a conference (not knowing a soul) for a curriculum I have recently purchased, and praying that my husband, Wade, and I had made the right choice for our family, both in homeschooling next year and in our choice of curriculum(there are so many options out there). When the core curriculum for both my daughters (rising 6th and first) arrived in May, I couldn't wait to start preparing and dove into the teaching guides. After poring over these guides, I would come upstairs glassy eyed and share with my husband that I felt like the material was wonderful and rich, but I was overwhelmed at where and how to start. He sweetly encouraged me to go to Sodalitas to get equipped for the task ahead this year. Oh my goodness, even though I didn't know anyone, this was the most welcoming group I have had the privilege to meet. Thank you all for including me and making me feel such a part of this wonderful group! Thank you also for the kind, creative, and supportive ways that all of you answered my questions, and I know I had a lot of questions.

There were so many highlights from this week. I left Louisville feeling inspired to undertake this great task of educating my children with this rich, Godly, Classical, beautiful curriculum, and trusting the scope throughout K-12 because of the thoughtful way that Mrs. Lowe chose each portion for each grade. It's so comprehensive! I also left with many friends, who will be a support system as our family starts this new adventure and have questions along the way. Finally, the staff of Memoria Press is so gracious and approachable. It was clear that their greatest desire was for us to succeed, and for our children to grow academically, and to grow in character and as disciples of Christ.

Gratefully,
            Maran Grace
            Maran Grace

DD12 Grade 8
            DD7 Grade 3
            DD3 Jr. Kindergarten

Peachtree Corners, GA

Comment

Hi, everyone! I wrote this before reading others' responses. I hope it is not too repetitive or too much. A conference that inspires writing an essay must be ok, right? Carlyn

Where to begin? I am so thankful for Sodalitas Gathering. I am thankful for the vision of Cheryl Lowe and her dogged perseverance in moving forward. I am thankful for the materials she created and re-discovered for us to use. I am thankful for the people of Highlands Latin School and Memoria Press, for their hospitality and thoughtfulness and personal-touch ethic that is carried out through each aspect of Sodalitas and the daily operations of Memoria Press.

What did I come away with? This is a question most asked after a practical conference. What are you going to use? How will it change what you do? Sodalitas reordered my thinking not so much my doing. But this reordering will change my doing. It brought home the good news of classical education: The goal is to grow human beings who love God, their neighbors, and the world He has created. I know my job is to believe God. Believe that the True, the Good, and the Beautiful are real. Believe that these transcendents exist and are worthy of being shared/taught. Believe that God is faithful and will carry out His promises. My faith needs to trust and act, not worry and fret.

I did come away with the practical. Multum non multa. Yes, I do not need to beat my child with the entire Western Cannon. I will pursue a few of the best works and cover them deeply, thoroughly. Mr. Robert Lewis gave excellent instruction and reassurance in my pre-conference (post- Sodalitas) session on Third Form Latin. I now have confidence in my plan for Latin instruction of my daughter.

I have hope. I see a path for the upper school years with my daughter. Mrs. Cindy Davis showed me a clear direction for math and science instruction and provided reassurance that these subjects can be taught thoroughly and well with support from others. Mr. Paul Schaeffer shared about the exciting transition that happens in students in/around the 8th grade year; to watch their minds grow and develop is fulfilling.

I have support. Sodalitas at its core is about community. These like-minded Christian moms and dads, who offer themselves and their lives to the pursuit of the True, the Good, and the Beautiful, do exist. We are a community. We can carry on this tradition. We can be a city on a hill and the darkness will not overcome us.

I have a vision. I will admit I have been selfish. I have come with my fears and questions about the instruction of my daughter. Is it enough? Am I doing it correctly? Will I fail? However with the passing of Cheryl Lowe, MP founder and leader, I can see beyond my selfish concerns. Mrs. Lowe’s own words shared in video format at the end of the conference provided inspiration for the larger picture. This classical education stuff is good. It is good for humans. It is worth giving to the next generation. It is worth the effort. It is worth sharing beyond my own family. Mrs. Lowe, we will keep moving forward.

For those who were not in attendance, be reassured. It will be ok. God will bless your steps of faith. You will keep moving forward.

“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 KJV
              Last edited by CarlynD; 07-15-2017, 11:25 AM. Reason: Typos-spacing; apostrophe
              Carlyn D.
              DD- 14 yr. old has used Memoria Press Classical Core since K; 9A currently
              DS- 22 yr. old college graduate
              DS- 22 yr. old college student
              Both sons graduated May 2016 from high school after homeschooling since preschool. :)

Comment

I didn't want this week to end! But we certainly picked a hot week to camp in Louisville!

Gosh, SO much good stuff to share, but here are just a few to start, as I am still contemplating and processing.

-Knowledge is so much better than "skill"
                -Provide the environment and opportunity for wonder and beauty, ask questions, have discussions, experience beauty and ponder alongside your children
                -Teaching the Epics doesn't seem so scary after all. Thanks Tanya and Mr. Brooks!
                -MP really, truly loves us! It showed ALL week.
                -How can one not get excited about art and music when Professor Carol is presenting?! Wow, she is quite amazing. Her enthusiasm is infectious! The fine arts MUST have a place in education and home. There is so much to be learned about culture and history through music and art.
                -I am eternally grateful to be with my children every day, at home. I really felt as if I had a taste of role reversal this week. We camped..my husband and children busied themselves with fun during the day. I left early and got back in the evening each night. And while this week was my "dream job" , I am so very blessed I don't have to be away from them everyday like that. God bless the working mamas and daddy's!
                -Turns out there is hope for western civilization. We are making it happen, people!
                -Keep moving forward. God bless Mrs. Lowe <3
                Katie

2020/21: 7th year with MP
                DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P
                DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program; Catholic Social Teaching, VT Alg. 1
                DD 9: MP 5, Seton Religion and Spelling, MPOA: FF Latin, Fable
                Twin DD's 7: MP 2, Seton Religion and Phonics

Comment

I've been trying to post on this thread all week, but life keeps pulling me away. So, I'm going to share the one thing that had the deepest impact on me: "Until someone did it, they didn't know they could all do it."

With the various challenges we have here (ADD, anxiety, EF, hormone imbalances, etc), our home is very emotionally charged. I've known for a long time that my own example contributed to some of this and has certainly increased/perpetuated it, but I kept defaulting into reaction-mode. Although this quote was related to re-establishing classical education, it was the inspiration/marching orders I needed for bringing peace to our home -- something I can hold out in front of me as the clear end goal: our entire family can be calm. But it's going to take me doing it first.
                  Jennifer
                  Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                  DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                  DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                  DS11: SC 4
                  DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                  DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                  DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Feedback.

Homeschoolers lack it. We don't have a "performance review" from a boss. And the payoff on our investment is a long one. Sodalitas was invaluable for positive feedback and validation. Such a huge, huge boost. It took my "schooling in a corner", wondering if I was doing it right, and brought it into a visible forum with community, laughter, tears and hugs. And I felt like I had done good work for my sisters and brothers when it was all wrapped up. So gratifying in dozens of ways.

July 2018 seems such a long way off!

XOXOXOXOXO to everyone!
                    Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                    Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                    Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
                    The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                    ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

It is hard to even begin to know how to diffuse all that I gleaned from my five days with some of the best women on the planet. To prevent this from being longer than the Iliad, I will use bullet points and try to funnel it a bit.

I have to start out by giving special recognition to the plenaries giving by two of our moms. From our dearest Jessica, the principle of imitation really stuck with me. On a basic level, our children will imitate us. So if we want them to read great books then they need to see US read great books. But we moms need someone to imitate. Masters, peers, and beginners need one another and we can mentor others so that they can learn from us through imitation. If you could not make it to Sodalitas or if you are new to MP, seek out a mentor to imitate. As someone who has experienced all of MP and HLS since my oldest was 5-years-old, I need to mentor and help along other moms.

From Mary Kaufman I learned the beauty of sacrifice. It sounds simply, but it is profound. Suffering is humbling and can lead us to ponder, “What am I doing and why?”

• Andrew Pudewa has a Quizlet class page for all MP Latin forms, including all grammar and vocab. How did I not know this?
                      • There is often more truth in fairytales than history books. We need fairytales to know that dragons can be slain. Fairytales tell us that the evil king will be replaced by the good, righteous, and TRUE king.
                      • It is hard not to do to your student what was done to you. I am ALL IN on MP . . . but I still have vestiges of “how things were done when I was in school” and it can be hard to break.
                      • My goal for my children is not “college” or “career-readiness.” My goal is to cultivate my child’s character to seek and know what is true, good, and beautiful.
                      • From Colomom, I learned that she needs an MP Etsy page to sell all her amazing stuff that helps implement MP.
                      • I learned that my severely dyslexic child CAN and WILL learn Latin. I do NOT have to do exactly what I did with his brothers. I can do Prima Latina and not make him spell anything. I can be flexible and it’s not just okay, it’s needed.
                      • Latin is not a dead language . . . it is immortal.
                      • I learned that I need to create wonder in my child. My goal is that my child will always experience wonder at God’s creation and handiwork.
                      • It is really, really important for tween and teen boys to have male role models. HLS is one of the few schools where there are lots and males on faculty. Boys need that. In my homeschool I need to seek out male role models beyond dad.
                      • All experiences are formative. Are you self-aware and honest enough about what you are forming?
                      • Virtue is when your heart is drawn to what is good.
                      • If you did not know this already, you do not have to do everything in the guides and you certainly do not have to write all those things out. At HLS, they answer many questions orally and through 4 grade at least they write the complete answer on the board for the student to copy.
                      • Also, you can modify tests!!! I sat in Mr. Brooks’ Epics class and he says, “I modify the tests to cover what we focused on in class and I eliminate the things that I don’t care if they know about.” What?!?!? How many years have I been doing this and it never occurred to me to modify the tests?!?!
                      • For Classical Studies and Christian Studies you can choose to have them know the vocab that will help them understand the time or the people best.
                      • Logic is fun.
                      • The literature guides are designed to train your child to look for details and richness.

Christy

Comment

And I cannot believe I left out the things on Professor Carol. I wrote my notes on paper borrowed from Katie, so they weren't with my others.

I am a lawyer by trade and was never exposed much to the arts. But I learned from Professor Carol that they are important. The best way to learn history is often through art. As a mom of four boys, she convinced me of the virility of the arts. Arts are not frilly, but hard and often very masculine.

You must watch Professor Carol's speeches. You simply must.

Christy

Comment

We rolled back into Texas late last night, just in time to get the call that my dad had suffered a massive stroke. I leave again tomorrow to drive back to Indiana. I won't be speaking at the Woodlands this weekend.

I am very close to my dad and this blindsided me, mainly because I thought we had at least another 10 years before even thinking about aging, ailing parents.

I was struck by the fact that just a few short days ago, I was sitting in a cofree shop talking to Courtney (RunnerJoy) about caring for ailing grandparents. I had done it in the past; she's doing it now. Only, unlike me, she's doing it while also homeschooling her children (I was a young, single adult).
                          It was so difficult emotionally to bathe and feed and dress grandparents. It is even worse thinking about doing it for my dad. My hero. My go-to guy for advice. The man who can fix anything and the only person I know who can out-shoot me.

But I'm so glad I was able to hear Courtney's story and to glean wisdom from her. That never would have happened if not for Sodalitas! We who are schooling at home are a unique species. We need each other because we're doing things most other people aren't...or can't...or won't.

I'm so profoundly grateful for all of those organic, offhand chats I had. We are so much more wise than we realize! I'm so glad the gathering can put us together with each other and with mentors to help guide us on our journeys, wherever they may take us.

(Is that lack of sleep or am I, as Andrew Pudewa said, getting more emotional as I edge closer to 50?)
                          Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                            We rolled back into Texas late last night, just in time to get the call that my dad had suffered a massive stroke. I leave again tomorrow to drive back to Indiana. I won't be speaking at the Woodlands this weekend.

I am very close to my dad and this blindsided me, mainly because I thought we had at least another 10 years before even thinking about aging, ailing parents.

I was struck by the fact that just a few short days ago, I was sitting in a cofree shop talking to Courtney (RunnerJoy) about caring for ailing grandparents. I had done it in the past; she's doing it now. Only, unlike me, she's doing it while also homeschooling her children (I was a young, single adult).
                            It was so difficult emotionally to bathe and feed and dress grandparents. It is even worse thinking about doing it for my dad. My hero. My go-to guy for advice. The man who can fix anything and the only person I know who can out-shoot me.

But I'm so glad I was able to hear Courtney's story and to glean wisdom from her. That never would have happened if not for Sodalitas! We who are schooling at home are a unique species. We need each other because we're doing things most other people aren't...or can't...or won't.

I'm so profoundly grateful for all of those organic, offhand chats I had. We are so much more wise than we realize! I'm so glad the gathering can put us together with each other and with mentors to help guide us on our journeys, wherever they may take us.

(Is that lack of sleep or am I, as Andrew Pudewa said, getting more emotional as I edge closer to 50?)
                            Mary, I'm so sorry to hear this. Praying for your father, your family, your peace. Hugs!
                            Katie

2020/21: 7th year with MP
                            DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P
                            DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program; Catholic Social Teaching, VT Alg. 1
                            DD 9: MP 5, Seton Religion and Spelling, MPOA: FF Latin, Fable
                            Twin DD's 7: MP 2, Seton Religion and Phonics

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post

Praying for you all, Mary. Not sure what part of Indiana you will be in, but if you're near the Northern side and need some extra hands/listening ears we're happy to help.
                              Jennifer
                              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                              DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                              DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                              DS11: SC 4
                              DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                              DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                              DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Working...
                              X