Science and Math Handouts from Sodalitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science and Math Handouts from Sodalitas

Several people asked for Science handouts after we ran out, so Jessica suggested I post them on the forum. Here they are!
    SodalitasScience.2017.pdf, Master Math & Science Plan.pdf, HLSMathScienceTrack.pdf, SodalitasMath.2017.pdf
    Cindy Davis
    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
    ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
    ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
    dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Re: Science and Math Handouts from Sodalitas

Thank you, Cindy!!!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Hi Cindy,

It was such a pleasure to meet you yesterday. I told my husband that this must be what it is like to meet a pop star....I am secretly giddy inside each time I see/meet someone I've relied on for advice via the forum, who's name I've seen on my MP books for so long or who has been a guest in my living room (via DVD) a hundred times! I feel like I should be walking around with an autograph book, sharpie and camera!

I meant to ask at Sodalitas yesterday, but are there MP lesson plans available for Novare Earth Science. I have the ones Novare provides on their resource cd and can work from that, but didn't know if there were any that MP put together in their beautifully integrated and straight-forward manner.

Also, do you suggest lab reports for Earth Science experiments? I have the lab report manuel from Novare (and a science background that includes many hours of lab/lab report time!) but don't remember if that was suggested for Physical Science or Earth.

Thanks so much,
      Hollie
      Regards, Hollie Hoped for 2021/22: DD 2003 - 12; MPOA Austen Lit, Henle I, Senior Thesis DS 2004 - 12; MPOA Tolkien Lit, Christian Latin DS 2006- 9; VideoText Algebra, MPOA: 4FL, HS Comp I DD 2007 - 9, MPOA Common Topic; CTC Math DD 2008- 8A/9; MPOA Henle 1, Common Topic; CTC Math DD 2011 - Core 5 DS 2015- cruising through K over summer, 1st grade in Fall DS 2020 - learning and teaching every day! Using MP complete since 2016-17; bits and pieces for many years previous

Comment

Originally posted by Hahcook View Post
        Hi Cindy,

It was such a pleasure to meet you yesterday. I told my husband that this must be what it is like to meet a pop star....I am secretly giddy inside each time I see/meet someone I've relied on for advice via the forum, who's name I've seen on my MP books for so long or who has been a guest in my living room (via DVD) a hundred times! I feel like I should be walking around with an autograph book, sharpie and camera!

I meant to ask at Sodalitas yesterday, but are there MP lesson plans available for Novare Earth Science. I have the ones Novare provides on their resource cd and can work from that, but didn't know if there were any that MP put together in their beautifully integrated and straight-forward manner.

Also, do you suggest lab reports for Earth Science experiments? I have the lab report manuel from Novare (and a science background that includes many hours of lab/lab report time!) but don't remember if that was suggested for Physical Science or Earth.

Thanks so much,
        Hollie
        Hollie,
        I don't think we have MP lesson plans for Novare Earth Science *yet*. They may be coming in the future. I would do just as you suggest, begin with the Novare plans and adapt to your homeschool calendar. At our school, 7th graders do Earth Science 3 days a week, and we do not cover the entire book. We choose the chapters and sections that will be of greatest interest and value for our 7th grade students to learn. Our 7th graders do not write detailed lab reports (they typically write a brief summary of the experiment and the results). Our 8th graders use lab report forms that I created for each experiment; they fill in the data and answer the questions. It is in 9th - 12th grade that we teach the writing of formal lab reports, with the goal of building their skill from an introductory level in 9th grade to expert level in 11th and 12th grade. So if a family were using Earth Science for 9th grade credit, I recommend they teach lab report writing in that course, but in 7th or 8th grade, they can keep it simple with a brief summary of the experiment and results.

The Novare lab report handbook (manual) that you mentioned is a great resource for teaching lab report writing in 9th-12th grade.
        Cindy Davis

Comment

Cindy,
          Would you share those chapters and sections you do cover?
          DD 17 | 12th
          DS 15 | 9th
          DD 13 | 8th
          2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
            Cindy,
            Would you share those chapters and sections you do cover?
            Hi Jennifer,
            I don't actually teach Earth Science, so I don't have the scheduled chapters and sections. If you have time and inclination to cover it all, that's great. If not, cover the sections and chapters that look most beneficial. I cover 2-3 sections per week in Physical Science and Introductory Physics (meeting 3 hours per week), and I think Earth Science would follow similar pacing.
            Cindy Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
              Several people asked for Science handouts after we ran out, so Jessica suggested I post them on the forum. Here they are!
              [ATTACH]664[/ATTACH], [ATTACH]665[/ATTACH], [ATTACH]666[/ATTACH], [ATTACH]667[/ATTACH]
              Thank you so much for your breakout, Cindy. It was really helpful to hear about alternative science paths, connecting science with math, etc. <3
              Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
              DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
              DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
              DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
              DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
              DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Not that Cindy needs to hear from the peanut gallery, but I agree 100% with her that the students must be able to APPLY math by the time they are in chemistry.

IMO, the entire math/science chart is more about showing how the child will mentally mature enough in math to internalize the applied math needs of chemistry and calc-based physics. Math intuition must develop enough to move beyond the student simply memorizing the algorithm to "get the right answer" to understanding how actually GET answers. Biology and earth science and all that "stuff" are the waiting rooms of science content while the student's math intuition develops to fruition for the math-based physical sciences. [Yes, I cheerfully admit that is physical science snobbery.]

Jen, a high school chem teacher herself who uses flip mastery in her classroom.
                DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Working...
                X