• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home4good
    replied
    Re: IEW vs Classical Comp

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Also, there is DVD instruction for the first 5 courses (hopefully for the rest soon) and online courses. IEW is a good prep, but CC is so much deeper!
    That's right! My girls loved the IEW dvd's so that would make the transition next year so much easier, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• home4good
    replied

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Sure thing! And do not be intimidated by CC. It is like anything else - the beginning of the year is slow because you are figuring out what you are supposed to do. But even then, each daily activity is not intended to be longer than 15-20 minutes, tops. And you repeat the same format each time you start a new lesson (every two weeks). It is not long before your kids get confident with it.

And your plan for next year sounds perfect!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    Thank you Sarah! That is good info to know!

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied

Also, there is DVD instruction for the first 5 courses (hopefully for the rest soon) and online courses. IEW is a good prep, but CC is so much deeper!

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Sure thing! And do not be intimidated by CC. It is like anything else - the beginning of the year is slow because you are figuring out what you are supposed to do. But even then, each daily activity is not intended to be longer than 15-20 minutes, tops. And you repeat the same format each time you start a new lesson (every two weeks). It is not long before your kids get confident with it.

And your plan for next year sounds perfect!
    AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• home4good
    replied

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Beth,
    Your girls are young enough that I would suggest sticking with IEW for another year if that is working for you and the girls are having good development with it. That would be a fine option to help them build a bit on the skills they have started learning.

But I would keep in mind that you will switch soon - maybe after one more year of IEW. The girls would be able to go through the first two books of CC very quickly because of having some IEW experience. But starting with Level III: Cheria/Maxim, they will be quite challenged to begin learning thinking skills for their writing that are much stronger than what IEW develops. And every level after Level III becomes even more impressive.

Right now your daughters are probably learning the basics of putting thoughts together into coherent paragraphs and small essays - which is why IEW will continue to be a good option. But if you are diligent about their work, it will not be long before giving them the additional challenge of CC will become a more desirable option. My oldest two are going into Level V this year, and with each new level we have done, I have been more and more impressed with the quality of thinking steps they are being taught, rather than simply continuing to follow formulas and checklists.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    Thank you so much Sarah! I truly appreciate your insight. I guess I was just afraid to change because their writing improved so much last year, and they flourished. If I am being honest as well, after looking through CC when I was first buying their cores for this coming year, it seemed like so much work. Writing seemed to be a very heavy load, and I was intimidated to switch everything because it was our first year using MP. But I love your advice, and maybe taking one more year with IEW while getting used to MP will be the ticket that works for us! Then when my daughters are in 5th and 7th they can tackle CC 1 & 2 together. Thank you so much.

Beth

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Beth,
    Your girls are young enough that I would suggest sticking with IEW for another year if that is working for you and the girls are having good development with it. That would be a fine option to help them build a bit on the skills they have started learning.

But I would keep in mind that you will switch soon - maybe after one more year of IEW. The girls would be able to go through the first two books of CC very quickly because of having some IEW experience. But starting with Level III: Cheria/Maxim, they will be quite challenged to begin learning thinking skills for their writing that are much stronger than what IEW develops. And every level after Level III becomes even more impressive.

Right now your daughters are probably learning the basics of putting thoughts together into coherent paragraphs and small essays - which is why IEW will continue to be a good option. But if you are diligent about their work, it will not be long before giving them the additional challenge of CC will become a more desirable option. My oldest two are going into Level V this year, and with each new level we have done, I have been more and more impressed with the quality of thinking steps they are being taught, rather than simply continuing to follow formulas and checklists.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• home4good
    replied

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Remind us of their ages, please, and approximate grades...
    I'm sorry! I should have included that😊 They are 9 & 11 and will be in 4th and 6th grades. Thank you so much!

Beth

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Remind us of their ages, please, and approximate grades...

Leave a comment:

• home4good
    started a topic IEW vs Classical Comp

IEW vs Classical Comp

Before I found MP my girls used IEW and flourished. Has anyone decided to stick with IEW vs Classical Composition after 3rd grade? We are going to continue with what works for us, that being IEW and the rest of the core will stay the same. Any advice or thoughts? Thank you so much!

Beth
Working...
X