Spelling advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spelling advice needed

I should have given thought to my opinion before posting it - because it was based on unique family circumstances instead of a fair analysis or comparison. Spelling Workout is just one of those workbooks that I want to throw out the window. And maybe that is just personal! I haven't been on the forum in so long, I think I just jumped back in hastily.

Sorry guys!

And I appreciate knowing that Mrs. Lowe had looked at all of it. Have prayed the Requiem for her.

Michelle
    Michelle

2017-2018
    9th grade MPOA diploma program
    7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
    4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
    2nd grade MP core
    3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
    Veritas et Fides

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post

If you use SWO AND The Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling, you will have a comprehensive spelling program. If you use only the SWO book, a natural speller may do just fine but more benefits will be gleaned from using the two books in tandem. Remember MP does not have spelling before first grade by design. During the learning to read year of kindergarten, students do better with dictation where they are hearing all the sounds of the words they are expected to master. After that, spelling should take some time. Students should say, spell, say their words orally each day for auditory learning, write their words each day for kinesthetic and visual learning then complete word study activities to aid in memory. Spelling, which is phonics for mastery, may prove challenging for some which is why we added additional activities beyond the workbook pages.

Of course you know your child best. When you find a program that works best for your child and family, stick to it. There is no program that is a utopia for spelling. We are here to help when you need it!

Blessings,
      Michelle T
      Michelle,

I'd love to hear any tips that you may have for a natural speller mom trying to teach spelling to struggling readers. Spelling is one of those subjects that makes me want to curl up behind the couch with a glass of wine. My rising sixth grader is finally OK with spelling, but I'm diving back again (with lots of trepidation) with the boys this year as they begin with 2nd grade.
      Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
      DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian and theatre
      DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
      DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
        Michelle,

I'd love to hear any tips that you may have for a natural speller mom trying to teach spelling to struggling readers. Spelling is one of those subjects that makes me want to curl up behind the couch with a glass of wine. My rising sixth grader is finally OK with spelling, but I'm diving back again (with lots of trepidation) with the boys this year as they begin with 2nd grade.
        I have the SC3 spelling, I think you should give that a try! Many tout AAS, this is in line with that. I prefer it though because it adds some more common words sooner.
        Christine

(2022/2023)
        DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
        DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

mamabearjd;59623]I should have given thought to my opinion before posting it - because it was based on unique family circumstances instead of a fair analysis or comparison. Spelling Workout is just one of those workbooks that I want to throw out the window. And maybe that is just personal! I haven't been on the forum in so long, I think I just jumped back in hastily.

Sorry guys!

And I appreciate knowing that Mrs. Lowe had looked at all of it. Have prayed the Requiem for her.

Michelle
          No worries, Michelle. I completely understand wanting to throw things out the window, like Singapore Math and Apologia Science.
          DS, 15, 10th grade
          DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Michelle,

You should always feel as if this is a safe place to post your opinions. This forum is where you can come to get advice for your unique family situations. Your opinions are welome! We want you to be successful in your home school and with the Memoria Press curriculum you use.

Dianna,

A natural speller will tend to do well with most spelling programs. The key is will that knowledge transfer beyond the spelling test into their everyday writing. That will take time and continued expectations. For everyday lessons, say, spell, say orally while looking at the list. Write the words at least once a day from the list. Do the activities in the SWO lessons, save the proofreading exercises, which Memoria Press does not condone, we want children seeing the word spelled correctly as often as possible. Also complete the activities in PGRS. These interactive lessons and practice reading other words with the same phonograms will aid in retention. Give practice dictation sentences each day with some of the spelling words. Have students write the words each week in colorful words where vowels or vowel teams (any phonogram with a vowel and consonant or two vowels) are red and consonants and consonant blends are blue, silent e is black. This activity will help student to see phonetic chunks within the words. After the test, if a word or two is missed, add it to the next week's lesson. Too many words are missed, four or more, spend some more time on the current list.

Within their everyday writing, point out spelling errors and have them correct them. No need to write the missed word 10 times, just fix the error.

I hope this helps!

Blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
              I think Spelling Workout works IF you have a natural speller. However, it did not work well for my children.

We use All About Spelling to teach the incremental phonics and rules in the summer. Then we use Spelling Plus to review the 1000 most commonly used words in writing.
              Thanks for reminding me about spelling plus. I remember looking at it a few years ago, but stuck with AAS. i couldn't remember the title. My older son uses SW, but I don't really care for it. SW drove my then first grader to tears. He now uses AAS and has done very well. I like the concept of using AAS and Spelling plus together as my main problem with AAS is it introduces common words quite late.
              Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
              16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
              DD College Sophomore
              DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
              DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
              DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                Thanks for reminding me about spelling plus. I remember looking at it a few years ago, but stuck with AAS. i couldn't remember the title. My older son uses SW, but I don't really care for it. SW drove my then first grader to tears. He now uses AAS and has done very well. I like the concept of using AAS and Spelling plus together as my main problem with AAS is it introduces common words quite late.
                Yes, we use Spelling Plus in place of Spelling wisdom during the school year. I only start it after the child is 100% confident on all of the phonograms that make up the English Language. (We learn those when learning to read.) I also only start it after the child understand syllable division rules and some basic spelling rules. (AAS does a WONDERFUL job of explaining these rules.)

Like Spelling Wisdom, Spelling plus doesn't hog a lot of instructional time (as compared to other spelling programs like AAS.) So our focus can be on other things in the school year. And like spelling wisdom, you can set it up so that a lot of the work can be done independently. (After some training.) However, I went with spelling plus because the word list covers the 1000 most common words in the English language organized by spelling rule and pattern. The words in Spelling Plus comprise 90% of written English. So it is a very efficient spelling program. (I'm not sure where or how they came up with the word lists in Spelling Wisdom.)

Then we follow this routine:
                Week 1: Pretest all kids on the lists This gives us a baseline to compare with throughout the year to make sure they are progressing. This also serves as review. I believe in over practicing spelling. We use the free audiofiles and the kids can do this pre-test independently. I just have to grade it.

Once I pretest them, I have a pretty good idea on which lists and level I need to start with. Then we just follow the instructions in the book. We download the pre-recorded audio lessons from the author's website because I have several levels of spelling happening at once. This allows them to be fairly independent. Working form a recording took a bit of getting used to, but now the kids do very well with it.

Monday: I introduce the rule and pattern and review any homophones. Then the kids do the daily practice using the audiofile to cue them in what they are suppose to do. Next they do dictation sentences that review previous words (also recorded in the audio file.) The audiofiles encourage the child to self-check their dictation sentences...but I also check these each day to make sure.

Tuesday-Thursday: Daily practice + Dictation Sentences.

Friday- Spelling Test + Dictate paragraph (I bribe the kids with something special if they get 100% of their spelling test. Any words they do miss go on the list for next week. If they miss too many words, I repeat the list and same dictation sentences again.)

Once we finish a level (every few weeks) we do another whole week of pre-testing and review. (We test on all levels they have learned again.) This way the words previously learned are constantly reviewed. We do not do dictation this week since the lists are so long.

-------
                We then do AAS in the summer. This helps REALLY teach the spelling rules and words. (We use this as written except we don't review word cards since we are doing so much review with Spelling plus.)

Again, I have to spend this much time on spelling because I do NOT have natural spellers. Some kids can learn to spell well just by reading a lot. They don't need to spend this much time and energy on practice/review. My children are not that way. hahaha
                Last edited by TheAttachedMama; 07-03-2017, 09:41 AM.
                Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                2019-2020
                DS 12, 7th Grade
                DD 11, 6th Grade
                DS 5, K

Comment

I have had great success with Spelling You See for my son who is not a natural speller. It is my suspicion that he is mildly dyslexic, and he is very visual. It is not a typical "classical" program. There is very little rule memorization. It has clicked with him and his spelling is improving across all subjects now at a fast rate. I tried Spelling Workout this year for my second son as recommended. I have been torn. On one hand he passes his tests (mostly), its not hard to implement, and it gets done. On the other, unless he is doing spelling it doesn't seem to carry over to other work. I have ordered Spelling You See for him to try next year. I really like how it focuses on visually identifying patterns in words.

Comment

Working...
                  X