Spelling advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelling advice needed

Do you have success with Spelling Workout? What are your experiences with this program? Likes? Dislikes?
    I've read mixed reviews, many of which say the lessons don't stick. I've been using Natural Speller with pretty good success, but I have to put the lists and lessons together, which I don't want to do any longer. CLP's Building Spelling Skills is another one I'm thinking about. Anyone use that and like it?
    DS, 15, 10th grade
    DS, 12, 7th grade

Re: Spelling advice needed

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post
    Do you have success with Spelling Workout? What are your experiences with this program? Likes? Dislikes?
    I've read mixed reviews, many of which say the lessons don't stick. I've been using Natural Speller with pretty good success, but I have to put the lists and lessons together, which I don't want to do any longer. CLP's Building Spelling Skills is another one I'm thinking about. Anyone use that and like it?
    We've used SW for 4 yrs now. In my opinion, if you do the lessons according to plans, it works great! We are sure to go over the rule each day. If it's not seeming to stick, I have my kids write the rule out in addition to their words each day. I've thought about keeping a "rule" stack of flashcards for review for my next child coming up through the program..for periodic review.
    Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

I think Spelling Workout works IF you have a natural speller. However, it did not work well for my children.

We use All About Spelling to teach the incremental phonics and rules in the summer. Then we use Spelling Plus to review the 1000 most commonly used words in writing.
      Cathy aka The Attached Mama
      2019-2020
      DS 12, 7th Grade
      DD 11, 6th Grade
      DS 5, K

Comment

Can you tell us the ages of your kids and approximate grades, please? It makes a huge difference!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
        DS Hillsdale College freshman
        DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
        DD 8th • HLN & Home
        DS 5th • HLN & Home
        Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
          Can you tell us the ages of your kids and approximate grades, please? It makes a huge difference!
          Sure, ages 9 and 12, 4th and 7th grades. In addition to using Natural Speller, I've had them do tons of copywork. They learn to spell very quickly, so I guess they are natural spellers, although my oldest was making too many mistakes in his composition assignments this past year for my taste, which is one reason why I want to change direction.
          DS, 15, 10th grade
          DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
            We've used SW for 4 yrs now. In my opinion, if you do the lessons according to plans, it works great! We are sure to go over the rule each day. If it's not seeming to stick, I have my kids write the rule out in addition to their words each day. I've thought about keeping a "rule" stack of flashcards for review for my next child coming up through the program..for periodic review.
            Are review lessons built in? My kids need those.
            DS, 15, 10th grade
            DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
              I think Spelling Workout works IF you have a natural speller. However, it did not work well for my children.

We use All About Spelling to teach the incremental phonics and rules in the summer. Then we use Spelling Plus to review the 1000 most commonly used words in writing.
              I do seem to have natural spellers, so maybe it would work for us.
              DS, 15, 10th grade
              DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post
                Are review lessons built in? My kids need those.
                Every 6th lesson is a review with SW.
                Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian and theatre
                DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
                DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

I have tried AAS, R&S, Spelling Workout and IEW Phonetic Zoo. IEW is my favorite, except that I have a child who would not be able to write quickly enough to keep up with the recording. I am thinking that we will go back to it this year with me carving out a bit of time to dictate a few days a week. The cards have three levels of words (ABC) so I can work with two kids at a time if i kept them on the same week with the same rule. I have tried to like Spelling Workout and I do not. I wish that I had kept all of my AAS cards and books but I downsized for a move.
                  Michelle

2017-2018
                  9th grade MPOA diploma program
                  7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
                  4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
                  2nd grade MP core
                  3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
                  Veritas et Fides

Comment

Originally posted by mamabearjd View Post
                    I have tried AAS, R&S, Spelling Workout and IEW Phonetic Zoo. IEW is my favorite, except that I have a child who would not be able to write quickly enough to keep up with the recording. I am thinking that we will go back to it this year with me carving out a bit of time to dictate a few days a week. The cards have three levels of words (ABC) so I can work with two kids at a time if i kept them on the same week with the same rule. I have tried to like Spelling Workout and I do not. I wish that I had kept all of my AAS cards and books but I downsized for a move.
                    Can you compare IEW and AAS? (you are supposed to complete some of the levels of AAS, before IEW, yes?)
                    Christine

(2022/2023)
                    DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                    DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Originally posted by mamabearjd View Post
                      Would you mind telling me why you don't like Spelling Workout?
                      DS, 15, 10th grade
                      DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

I think AAS is the best thing out there, especially if you begin in K or 1st and have the time to spend on it every day. I like the review box. I like the rule memorization. I like the idea of tactile learning, though often we just wrote words on a whiteboard instead of moving all of the letters around. I would have stuck with it but we were new to homeschool - my two oldest had started in private school, and we began AAS in 4th and 2nd grades, the 4th grader moving on to IEW that year. We completed one year but I knew that it was too time intensive to keep up multiple levels with younger siblings running about. I didn't like the script. All that said, I probably would do a better job with it now just because I have experience.

I don't LOVE the IEW rules. I find them hard to remember. I do like the lists. They make more sense to me than SW. If you have an independent learner, they can go through and work each day without you. This is great for seasons with pregnancies, babies and tornado three year olds. I think we made progress.

IEW does start later, and I'm sorry that I didn't think of that in my earlier response. I didn't do anyone a favor there! There is a placement test. So the question is, if not AAS, then what, until IEW? I will probably stick with SW and put the lists into the free version of spellingcity.com. The second grader gets a lot of my time, so it is easy to work on spelling throughout the day with him. I do think that some kids are just natural spellers. We are possibly missing that gene!
                        Michelle

2017-2018
                        9th grade MPOA diploma program
                        7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
                        4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
                        2nd grade MP core
                        3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
                        Veritas et Fides

Comment

Before choosing Spelling Work Out, Mrs. Lowe, in her scientific fashion, researched, ordered to review and considered the benefits of each program that was anything close to her ideal. That ideal was a program that introduced a group of words with a main phonetic category or spelling rule. She chose Spelling Work Out because it followed the progression she found best. Of course there was no perfect program, even SWO needed some additional Word Study activities for words that had the main phonogram or followed the focus spelling rule but contained other blends or phonetic sounds never mentioned. So, the Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling was written.

If you use SWO AND The Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling, you will have a comprehensive spelling program. If you use only the SWO book, a natural speller may do just fine but more benefits will be gleaned from using the two books in tandem. Remember MP does not have spelling before first grade by design. During the learning to read year of kindergarten, students do better with dictation where they are hearing all the sounds of the words they are expected to master. After that, spelling should take some time. Students should say, spell, say their words orally each day for auditory learning, write their words each day for kinesthetic and visual learning then complete word study activities to aid in memory. Spelling, which is phonics for mastery, may prove challenging for some which is why we added additional activities beyond the workbook pages.

Of course you know your child best. When you find a program that works best for your child and family, stick to it. There is no program that is a utopia for spelling. We are here to help when you need it!

Blessings,
                          Michelle T

Comment

Before choosing Spelling Work Out, Mrs. Lowe, in her scientific fashion, researched, ordered to review and considered the benefits of each program that was anything close to her ideal. That ideal was a program that introduced a group of words with a main phonetic category or spelling rule. She chose Spelling Work Out because it followed the progression she found best. Of course there was no perfect program, even SWO needed some additional Word Study activities for words that had the main phonogram or followed the focus spelling rule but contained other blends or phonetic sounds never mentioned. So, the Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling was written.

If you use SWO AND The Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling, you will have a comprehensive spelling program. If you use only the SWO book, a natural speller may do just fine but more benefits will be gleaned from using the two books in tandem. Remember MP does not have spelling before first grade by design. During the learning to read year of kindergarten, students do better with dictation where they are hearing all the sounds of the words they are expected to master. After that, spelling should take some time. Students should say, spell, say their words orally each day for auditory learning, write their words each day for kinesthetic and visual learning then complete word study activities to aid in memory. Spelling, which is phonics for mastery, may prove challenging for some which is why we added additional activities beyond the workbook pages.

Of course you know your child best. When you find a program that works best for your child and family, stick to it. There is no program that is a utopia for spelling. We are here to help when you need it!

Blessings,
                            Michelle T
                            Michelle,

Thank you, thank you for this detailed answer. My children are past phonics instruction, but knowing how to implement the spelling strategies you mentioned along with using SWO should help us going forward.
                            DS, 15, 10th grade
                            DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

You are welcome!

Michelle T

Comment

Working...
                              X