Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Tell me all about freezer/once-a-month meals

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
    I have the author's first cookbook. The cartoonish stuff is mostly for parts of the book that are non-recipes, but the "fun font" does continue even throughout the recipes.
    This is helpful to know. I like good recipes and I like good photos - and that's it. I think I should go ahead and admit something right now - perhaps you ladies can help me 12-step this: I detest food blogs. And yes, I'm sure some of you are the wonderful women behind them. Please know that it's not you I take issue with; it's the need to scroll through half a dozen cute-sy photos of sauce dripped onto the counter during the cooking process or the writer coyly looking just off-camera while two-handing a mug of pumpkin coffee...before coming to several paragraphs explaining why this recipe is so special and unique and amazing...and then getting to the recipe to find it's virtually the same one my grandmother used from her Ball Blue Book canning book. *bangs head on keyboard*

I have found, at least at my local HPB, that many cookbooks are going this route - a long story, several photos that have nothing to do with the finished product (nope, I don't need a closeup of your kid with dough on his nose), and, finally, a recipe. In tiny print. Or lots of overly stylized brush stroke fonts and chalkboards. Give me my mother's Betty Crocker Cookbook any day!

I also don't like comic books. So, um, I think I might not like this book. I like Bean (she seems so nice - especially since she puts up with me!) and I like Paleo, but I can't do cutesy photos and comic book font. I am really a very bad person. Please accept my sincere apology for this. I am trying to be less curmudgeonly.
    Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

On a lighter note (I feel awful for being so negative above - perhaps it's all this medicine I'm taking! Yeah, that's it...), someone - was it Katy? - sent me a neat link to a website that offers rotating, make-ahead meal plans. No more than 20 things on your shopping list each week. You go to the store, buy the stuff, prep it ahead of time (it's supposed to take an hour to clean, chop, etc.) and then follow the plan for that week. There were dairy-free, vegan, GF, and paleo options - it looked really cool.

Best of all, for technophobes like me, one can simply purchase the recipes, download and print. No need to run to the computer each day to see what's on the menu for dinner if that's not your thing.

We're creatures of habit. Give me 5 or 10 good recipes and we'll just keep making them over and over and over... I'm on my way to that site now to give it a whirl. I'll let you know how it turns out.
      Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post

We're creatures of habit. Give me 5 or 10 good recipes and we'll just keep making them over and over and over... I'm on my way to that site now to give it a whirl. I'll let you know how it turns out.
        I see nothing wrong with being a creature of habit. Simplifying the menu in our house helps to eliminate decision fatigue.
        Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
        DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
        DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Yes, that was me. The site is thefresh20.com

You get 5 dinners and a shopping list for the week. The dinners revolve around 20 ingredients. So it's economical and it cuts down on waste. If you buy a bunch of basil you're going to use it in several meals. They also send you a prep guide so if you want to you could spend an hour to two prepping so making dinner goes even quicker.

I've been using it for 5 weeks now and like it. Not every meal has been a Home run for our family. But it has been so nice to take all of Decision making, list making, and planning out of dinners. I just print the grocery list each week and head to the store. Some weeks I've even utilized Walmart pick up to do the shopping for me. This last week had amazing dinners. We use their gluten free plan. They also have plans that cater to other allergies or food preferences. I love to cook but the decision fatigue of weekly meal planning had become something I dreaded.
          Katy
          2017-2018
          DD 8, 3A
          DS 4, Junior Kindergartem

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
            I have the author's first cookbook. The cartoonish stuff is mostly for parts of the book that are non-recipes, but the "fun font" does continue even throughout the recipes.

Bean thinks there are a preponderance of Asian inspired recipes in this newly published cookbook. The authors are, in fact, Asian. That said, I hardly use the recipes in book 1 because even though they aren't Asian, per se, many of them use the Asian cooking technique of cooking twice: much of Asian cooking works around two types of heating the dish for the final product. For most weeknight dinners, I'm more inclined to make a skillet dinner than a cook-twice meal. There are exceptions, of course. Our beloved Japanese curries are worth every moment of my time.

Jen
            Yes, the authors are Asian... I mentioned the number of Asian recipes because it might be odd to some families. There may be some twice cooking recipes included, but the focus of this book is about getting food on the table quickly. Maybe the focus is different from the first book?

I interned with a Japanese-American chef and it profoundly changed the way I look at food. However, we are often in food survival mode at my house with substantial food allergies and no time. So yeah, skillet dinners sometimes...
            Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
              I am so bummed! I checked out the "Look Inside" section on Amazon and it only shows the photos of her family and several comic book-like sections - none of the recipes. I just wanted to see the format because I like an easy-to-read book. Perhaps this is why I'm *still* using my massive "Joy of Cooking" book...? *weary laugh*

Is the entire book in that comic book format? Or are the recipes more traditionally laid out (recipe on one page, photo on facing page)?
              Mary, I found some recipes to look at on the Nom Nom Paleo website. Maybe good for trying out? This does look yummy. In the past a twice-cook has been my go-to, because I can do prep/first cook and then finish when hubby gets home. But I haven't been in that frame of mind since my second child, so I'm not holding my breath ...
              Ana, mama to
              ds A, 13yo
              ds N, 8yo

Comment

We started the Fresh20 thing. I bought the lunch recipe book and dutifully printed the pages, put them into plastic sleeves and inserted them into a binder (I just printed the recipes, not the photos). So far, so good. I like it.

I also got the $7 intro month for dinners. Again, I like it. We even had to swap days because I had repairmen in my kitchen most of the afternoon and it still went well.

I'll take a peek at the NomNom Paleo site. I've used recipes from that site before and I like them (also a huge fan of "Against All Grain" and have both books!). I think the new book is cute but my problem is that when already distracted by trying to cook and deal with kids asking questions, I need a plain-jane recipe card or book. This will come as a surprise to no one, but I am not especially adept at multi-tasking.
                Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
                  Instant Pot: the learning curve was a) read through the 15 page booklet, to confirm it wouldn't turn into a disaster before my eyes, b) make soup. [There is a soup button!]

I pressed the soup button, and about 1 hour later, I had a fantastic soup.

The next step I took (lazy me) was to purchase a cookbook which caters to Instant Pot usage so that I could get the hang of it, while trying some new recipes. The recipes even give information on which buttons to press. Since your family as autoimmune issues, this is the e-book you want: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/the-pale...-pot-cookbook/
                  [Also one of my fav autoimmune bloggers!]

Jen
                  Is this still the best autoimmune Instant Pot cookbook option? One of my crockpots is reaching the end of the road and am thinking of giving the Instant Pot a whirl since I'll have space in the cupboard.
                  Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
                    Is this still the best autoimmune Instant Pot cookbook option? One of my crockpots is reaching the end of the road and am thinking of giving the Instant Pot a whirl since I'll have space in the cupboard.
                    It's still a good one. I have found over time that I prefer actual cookbooks over ebooks for ease of use. I also google recipes. Good luck!

Jen
                    DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Working...
                    X