X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Howard Pyle vs. Roger Lancely Green

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Dorinda,

January in Michigan? Geesh! What a beast!

The child we had in Minnesota came in August...very good planning! (even though we never plan this things!).

AMDG,
    Sarah
    Not the ideal, but it worked out fine. The predicted snow didn't really materialize.

December 1 (supposed to be late November) was actually worse. We were going to the hospital with baby #1 about midnight and the roads were icy and not salted yet, husband was trying to call his parents to let them know on his cell phone as we were sliding out of the sub, and I still get teased that my response to "how are you doing" was "shut up and drive". Baby #2 came in July ;-)

I will still be praying for nice clear roads in January.
    Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
    16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Sophomore
    DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
    DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
    DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

Awesome story!!! Praise God for a happy ending!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

I love ❤️ this community!
        Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
        DD Summer 2009 · 7th
        DD Summer 2011 · SC
        DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
        DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
        DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
        MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
        Blog: Creative Madness Mama
        @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
          Oh my...miss one thread and miss a new baby and one on the way. Congratulations Margaret (my oldest is a Margaret). Enjoy that little bundle of joy!
          Dorinda, You are exactly right. Never judge a thread by its title alone!

Happy babies, sweet friends!!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
          DS Hillsdale College freshman
          DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
          DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home
          Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Prayers for you, Sarah! So, do you have a Therese yet? Because you know the joke is that every large Catholic family has to have a Therese and a Dominic. Of course, Aloysius Augustine Aquinas rolls right off the tongue as well.

Blessings,
            Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
            DD24
            DS21
            DS18
            DS16
            DD14
            DS11
            DD9

Comment

According to my dh is it off limits to talk names before a baby is born (!!!). He is totally good-natured about it - turning any attempted conversation about it into a joke-fest. He's quite hilarious, actually.

We have not used any of the names you listed though, so we must still have a lot of good ones left to pick from!

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

According to my dh is it off limits to talk names before a baby is born (!!!).

Ah, yes, but that doesn't stop you from THINKING about it!

Jen, whose last baby came 8 weeks early and whose DH named the baby in the OR under a bit of stress
                DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

... what beautiful baby thoughts to begin the day with!

Sarah, you are in my prayers. I thought (perhaps wrongly, though) you'd been quieter on the board lately and was wondering if you might be expecting, and hoping everything was fine. Blessings to your beautiful family!

Margaret, we are so happy to hear of your new one! Our prayers for grace, health and joy in these early weeks (and after that, too!).

I must admit I was originally going to post about the Official Topic. Than I got so delightfully distracted by baby thoughts & birth stories where All Ends Well: baby named & comes home!

My older child, who is very sensitive to issues of cruelty (rather than just violence per se -- those are easier to handle) was brought to tears when he read one of the early Green chapters in Robin Hood (describing the treatment of a poor man who killed a royal deer). So we started King Arthur, and when he hit the chapter on Balin and Balan, we stopped. He was just getting more and more stressed about King Arthur.

We did well with Pyle's Robin Hood, read aloud, and with much of Pyle's King Arthur though I set it aside due to sensitivities. For getting Arthur in this sweet child's ear I'm now trying Sutcliff's The Sword and the Circle. I plan to have him do Arthur again when he's older, so I just want him to hear a version of the stories in fine English. This version was recommended by several on the AO forum though it doesn't shine in terms of Amazon ratings. So far it suits us; we're not even halfway through, though.
                  Last edited by serendipitous journey; 06-17-2017, 11:50 AM.
                  Ana, mama to
                  ds A, 15 yo
                  ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
                    Prayers for you, Sarah! So, do you have a Therese yet? Because you know the joke is that every large Catholic family has to have a Therese and a Dominic. Of course, Aloysius Augustine Aquinas rolls right off the tongue as well.

Blessings,
                    Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
                    Hold on --- why didn't anyone clue me in to this rule? We don't have Therese or Dominic. Dominic paired with Kennedy does not equal phonetic bliss. Therese never crossed my mind ---- I guess because none of my other children have names with French pronunciation.

One of my Catholic doctor friends teased me years ago when I was PG with Rachel, telling me that some variation of Mary was de rigueur.

Wonder what other kind of Catholic baby naming rules I'm breaking?
                    Last edited by DiannaKennedy; 06-17-2017, 10:09 AM.
                    Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                    DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian and theatre
                    DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                    DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
                    DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                    DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Ana,
                      Thank you for the prayers!

And my kids agree with you about the Green versions of the books. They are not sensitive to the differences like your kids are, but nonetheless, they did not like that Green "changed" the stories. Evidently they see the Pyle versions as the "real" ones, and Green's are just "his version of the Pyle books". 😆

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      DS, 17
                      DD, 15
                      DD, 13
                      DD, 11
                      DD, 9
                      DD, 7
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                        Hold on --- why didn't anyone clue me in to this rule? We don't have Therese or Dominic. Dominic paired with Kennedy does not equal phonetic bliss. Therese never crossed my mind ---- I guess because none of my other children have names with French pronunciation.

One of my Catholic doctor friends teased me years ago when I was PG with Rachel, telling me that some variation of Mary was de rigueur.

Wonder what other kind of Catholic baby naming rules I'm breaking?
                        Dianna,
                        We have similar phonetic issues!

Not to mention we have lived so many places, and known so many great families, that we tend to think a name is "taken" when we know someone who has it!! Naming a boy Dominic would make me feel as though I were picking a favorite child....

So many issues to naming a person!😊
                        AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        DS, 17
                        DD, 15
                        DD, 13
                        DD, 11
                        DD, 9
                        DD, 7
                        +DS+
                        DS, 2

Comment

According to my dh is it off limits to talk names before a baby is born (!!!). He is totally good-natured about it - turning any attempted conversation about it into a joke-fest. He's quite hilarious, actually.

We have not used any of the names you listed though, so we must still have a lot of good ones left to pick from!

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          We do discuss baby names but made a pact never reveal them to the outside world until the child has made his/her appearance. We got tired of hearing people's (often not-so-helpful) comments early on. Instead, upon finding out that we are expecting, we have given each of our children a moniker befitting an elderly Jewish man - regardless of gender. Our first was Abraham, second was Irving, third was Moishe and the last was Shlomo. Since DH's father is Jewish, he got quite a kick out of it. It drove everyone else nuts.

Now, back to the topic at hand...I didn't realize there was such a difference between readings! I've never read Pyle, but have now added it to my mile-long must-read bucket list.
                          Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                            We do discuss baby names but made a pact never reveal them to the outside world until the child has made his/her appearance. [B]We got tired of hearing people's (often not-so-helpful) comments early on.
                            THIS ^^^^^

Way back when, I wanted to name my Rachel -- Rachel Maeve. My SIL made a negative comment, so I retreated. After that, we didn't find out genders or share name selections with ANYONE. It made folks bananas, and totally cracked us up.

And obviously, the name I loved so much has come to fruition, just had to be patient. It FITS my Maeve so very well, and you know what? My SIL adores it now. #gofigure
                            Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                            DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian and theatre
                            DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                            DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
                            DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                            DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Working...
                            X