Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th Grade daughter-poor reading comprehension

Hi Everyone,

I had planned to have my daughter read through the 3rd grade American History books this summer. I typically have her read the first chapter or two aloud, and then send her off to read the rest independently. Then we meet together and discuss what she has read.

When she is reading out loud to me, she reads the text wonderfully and very fluently. (These are not very difficult books.) However, she is not able to answer any of the comprehension/discussion questions afterward. I can understand missing some information--but she isn't able to answer a single question.

I am at a loss as to how to help my daughter. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. When she can't answer these questions, do I have her re-read the chapters? Read the entire thing aloud to me?
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

Re: 4th Grade daughter-poor reading comprehension

Break up the comprehension to a smaller section. Try a page at a time. If a page is too hard, do a paragraph at a time. Instead of asking specific questions, ask her to retell what happened. Comprehension can take work. My 6th grader has the same issue but does fine when we do smaller sections for comprehension.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

My 6th grade daughter is having a similar issue. I have found that reading together (she does one paragraph, I do the next) helps, as does stopping during the reading to discuss what's happening. Lastly, it can help to go through some of the questions before even reading the text. Go over them beforehand and discuss what you'll be looking for while you're reading, which can help her to stay focused.

Of course, this is easy for me to say after spending time on the phone yesterday with Michael trying to figure out 6th grade literature. *weary laugh*
      My dd, in addition to her health issues, is a linear thinker. She's a math and Latin whiz and her reading fluency is stellar...but hand her a literature or history book and start asking her comprehension questions and you'll get little more than a blank stare. If your daughter is similar, you may find that setting this up like a math story problem - as outlined above (questions beforehand, discussion during, then better answers overall) - may really help her out. <3
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Math is her favorite subject. I am hoping she enjoys Latin too, but we are only just starting.
        2019-2020
        DS 12, 7th Grade
        DD 11, 6th Grade
        DS 5, K

Comment

Does her comprehension improve when she is not reading it aloud, but is reading it silently to herself? For some children the act of reading aloud becomes "word calling," and they aren't comprehending it as they go, even when there is proper expression. They can get so caught up in the oral presentation of the sentences, they are missing the plot.

Blessings,
          Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
          DD 23 College grad, married, employed.
          DS 20 Autistic, beautiful, unemployable.
          DS 17 HS grad. Twelve years of MP. Hopes to be a chess-playing priest.
          DS 15 Teaching me to give up the reins. Does MP work when not in ballet classes, at rehearsals, stretching or playing chess.
          DD 13 Nine years of MP. Chess player, marksman, WSJ fan.
          DS 11 Six years of MP. Chess player, ballet dancer, archer.
          DD 8 Four years of MP. Chess player, occasional dancer. Actually gets to write in the Student Guides.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
            Does her comprehension improve when she is not reading it aloud but is reading it silently to herself? For some children the act of reading aloud becomes "word calling," and they aren't comprehending it as they go, even when there is proper expression. They can get so caught up in the oral presentation of the sentences, they are missing the plot.

Blessings,
            Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
            No, actually her comprehension usually is worse/same. Yesterday, I had her and her brother buddy read the text aloud since I had a doctors apt. (Her older brother is about 16 months older.) Her brother could answer nearly every question, but she couldn't answer any.

Today, I had her read the first chapter aloud to me, and when I saw how easy it was for her, I told her to read the rest alone while I got the baby down for a nap. She couldn't answer any question. (In fact, she told me at one point that Christopher Columbus eventually discovered a path to the Indies.) So I told her she would have to re-read the text with me.....since she obviously didn't get anything from it the first time. This time I had her read the text one chapter at a time, and then answer the questions. She did better, still not great.

She also struggles with listening comprehension. For example, we were listening to an audiobook version of Story of the World. After the chapter, I would pause and ask her and her brother comprehension questions from the SOTW Activity Book. She was able to answer about 35-50%. If I told her the question ahead of time, she did much better at answering the questions. But, at the same time, she was sort of hyper distracted and only listening for the answer instead of taking in the text as a whole.
            2019-2020
            DS 12, 7th Grade
            DD 11, 6th Grade
            DS 5, K

Comment

Can I ask how old she is?
              With birthday month?
              AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 8
              DD, 6
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

My son is very much this way. His is more of a focus issue, so he gets lost in random thought while reading and then doesn't remember what he's read. What works for him is like what Mary has suggested. He goes over the questions first, then looks out for the answer for the first question while he's reading, pauses to write it down, looks at the next question, reads on and finds the answer and writes it down and so on. If I read or it's an audio book, same thing..we pause and discuss in chunks. His comprehension is excellent when broken down into smaller bits. Reading a whole chapter or more and then trying to answer only leads to him having to go back and find and re-read.
                Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP
                DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
                DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
                DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
                Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                  Can I ask how old she is?
                  With birthday month?
                  AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  She just turned 9 in April.
                  2019-2020
                  DS 12, 7th Grade
                  DD 11, 6th Grade
                  DS 5, K

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
                    She just turned 9 in April.
                    She's also a bit on the young side and you *may* find that this improves with age. My ds10 is a FAR different boy this year than he was last year (reading back through my old posts you'll see this *LOL*). He was very similar with attention/comprehension at 8 or 9 but has astounded me this year with his ability to read independently and answer workbook questions.

Of course, then, there is my dd12 who gives the famous blank stare (proving that some kids don't outgrow this...). I think your best bet for now may really be reading aloud with her and stopping to discuss as you go, then when answering questions, gently prod her/remind her of what you discussed earlier if she draws a blank. <3
                    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Yes, agreeing with Mary. . Do good slow work for now, and then be patient for the growth to happen.

Also watch how she develops attention in other ways too - what she spends her timing doing for fun. There are things you can do for fun to help with paying close attention (puzzles, board games, etc) that can develop some of those comprehension skills in a fun way.

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                      DS, 16
                      DD, 14
                      DD, 12
                      DD, 10
                      DD, 8
                      DD, 6
                      +DS+