2nd grade Latin and Grammar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd grade Latin and Grammar

If I take Latin out of second grade, does that remove all English grammar instruction as well? The 2nd grade lit guides don't appear to teach grammar the way that Story Time Treasures does in 1st.

So, if I wait on Latin, do I need to add anything else to cover Grammar? Perhaps SC Writing 2?

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll have my oldest do MP2 (with some modifications) or SC3 next year. Since we are still investing huge amounts of time learning Mandarin, there are only so many hours left in the day!

Re: 2nd grade Latin and Grammar

There are some grammar elements taught within the STT/MSTT workbooks. I would look into the Core Skills Language Series if you want more. We recently added those as supplements to grades 3-6. I'm not certain they have a second grade level, but if they do, that would be my suggestion. You could also wait for third grade. If your child can distinguish between a noun and verb before third grade, that is plenty of knowledge. Capitalization and punctuation are throuroughly covered within STT, NAC and Copybook.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

My answer would really only apply to Catholic users of MP looking for a little bit of introductory grammar in second grade. I use the Voyages in English 2nd Year workbook. It covers things like periods, question marks, homonyms, contractions, compound words, did and done, sat and set, irregular plurals, etc... The lessons are very short, not much writing. The copyright date is 1958. I generally like to add in some resources from Our Lady of Victory just to up the Catholic content in our curriculum. In addition to their catechism series, I use their spelling, handwriting, and English grammar books. And since we use Saxon math for grades 7 - 12, I purchase those books from them as well.
      Blessings,
      Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
      DD 23 College grad, married, employed.
      DS 20 Autistic, beautiful, unemployable.
      DS 17 HS grad. Twelve years of MP. Hopes to be a chess-playing priest.
      DS 15 Teaching me to give up the reins. Does MP work when not in ballet classes, at rehearsals, stretching or playing chess.
      DD 13 Nine years of MP. Chess player, marksman, WSJ fan.
      DS 11 Six years of MP. Chess player, ballet dancer, archer.
      DD 8 Four years of MP. Chess player, occasional dancer. Actually gets to write in the Student Guides.

Comment

We used to use R&S Grammar 2 for 2nd grade grammar before we added Prima Latina. Our teachers liked it. It was just too much grammar with the addition of PL

Tanya

Comment

I am in the same boat.
          I've done:
          Voyages in English- the secular version and skipping the yucky writing sections

R&S 2- all orally and on our white board. You really don't even need the TM for this level.

First Language Lessons 2- what I'm currently doing with F

Each has strengths and weaknesses. For gentle and long term retention I would say either R&S or FLL. My crew needs the repetition and constant reinforcement both R&S and FLL provide.
          The Homeschool Grads:
          J- 6/96
          S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
          G- 4/04
          D- 5/05
          F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
          M- 9/16

Comment

Originally posted by alihuyoung View Post
            If I take Latin out of second grade, does that remove all English grammar instruction as well? The 2nd grade lit guides don't appear to teach grammar the way that Story Time Treasures does in 1st.

So, if I wait on Latin, do I need to add anything else to cover Grammar? Perhaps SC Writing 2?

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll have my oldest do MP2 (with some modifications) or SC3 next year. Since we are still investing huge amounts of time learning Mandarin, there are only so many hours left in the day!
            The SC2 writing has plenty of grammar! I would recommend the Bible edition! M
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
            X