Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a wee bit of help with planning for 6A, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a wee bit of help with planning for 6A, please!

I'm slowly going through my MP materials, putting things away, making a list of what I need for the fall, and I'm mulling over the US History piece.

For 6A, I'd need
    the 13 Colonies Set
    200 Questions about American History set

and --- which volume of SOTW? I actually purchased the Everything You Need to Know About American History Homework from ThriftBooks. I own all 4 volumes of SOTW #nerdalert, but I was planning on adding the audio versions as well. In looking over the table of contents, it looks like both 3 and 4 could be helpful.
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Re: Need a wee bit of help with planning for 6A, please!

Only 4 is scheduled. Gerber is used for most of the course but it doesn't cover the more modern times so SOTW is used for after Gerber ends. If you want to use SOTW for the earlier parts of the course you will have to find the coordinating sections yourself.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Remember that the other SOTW books are used for summer reading. You can find the list at the Highlands website.
      Blessings,
      Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
      DD23
      DS20
      DS18
      DS15
      DD13
      DS11
      DD8

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
        Remember that the other SOTW books are used for summer reading. You can find the list at the Highlands website.
        Blessings,
        Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
        That's actually what I was planning, to start listening to these volumes this summer. This is what we've done in the past --- Greek Myths on Audible the summer before studying Greek Myths, SOTW 1 summer before FMOR, etc.
        Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
        DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
        DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
        DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
        DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
        DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Dianna, I wanted to mention -- though you may know -- that the guides for Guerber are not scheduled. That is to say, the 6A plans do not schedule the student guide for 13 Colonies, just the relevant sections of the 200 Questions student guide; you can easily assign the student guide, but it does not line up with the weekly readings. So, for the first week, seven chapters of Guerber are assigned (they are pretty short) and that would be the first two lessons in the student guide + part of Lesson 3.

It is easy to align the chapters to the guide lessons just working from the two Tables of Contents, though.

Also, there are no review lessons, drill questions or quizzes/tests for the 13 Colonies guides themselves: that is all in the 200 Questions set. OTOH there is useful information in the appendix of the 13 Colonies guide, such as the Mayflower Compact and various other source documents, and these are scheduled in the "enrichment" of the relevant lessons. I am pretty sure that MP made these for us homeschoolers, because folks were interested, and they are not used at HLS; but I may be mistaken.

I'm trying to do the first week or two of 6A over the summer so we get a feel for things, and am still not sure how best to use the guides or schedule the reading -- I think spreading the week's chapters across several days will be better for my son. I can see that using the guides would enhance retention but they will also add a chunk of time & work and I like each week's readings to line up with a whole number of guide "lessons," so I am considering using them for oral preview of names & vocab and review of concepts. We may not do the written parts.

And: agreeing with above, it is SOTW4 scheduled. As far as the time covered, you are right about SOTW3 too: I think really Guerber picks up at around the 3rd or 4th chapter of SOTW3 in terms of dates covered.
          Last edited by serendipitous journey; 06-04-2017, 11:50 PM.
          Ana, mama to
          ds A, 14 yo
          ds N, 9 yo

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
            Dianna, I wanted to mention -- though you may know -- that the guides for Guerber are not scheduled. That is to say, the 6A plans do not schedule the student guide for 13 Colonies, just the relevant sections of the 200 Questions student guide
            Actually, we do have plans that schedule both the Guerber guide and the 200 questions guide. Currently, they may have only been printed in 7R, but if you send me an email (michael@memoriapress.com) with your order number for the order with 6A, I'd be happy to get those plans to you.

HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Actually, we do have plans that schedule both the Guerber guide and the 200 questions guide. Currently, they may have only been printed in 7R, but if you send me an email (michael@memoriapress.com) with your order number for the order with 6A, I'd be happy to get those plans to you.

HTH!
              whee-hee! so they're available separately! Thanks, Michael!
              Last edited by serendipitous journey; 06-05-2017, 10:07 AM.
              Ana, mama to
              ds A, 14 yo
              ds N, 9 yo

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

HTH!
                My 7R manual (received this month) does not contain the combined schedule. Sending you an e-mail with my order number. Thanks!
                Natalie

DD, age 13: CC 7M, with a few swaps
                DD, age 10: CC 5M
                Third year using full MP CC, Forth year homeschooling

Comment

Hello.

We have corrected the American History plans, so it should now be correct in your MP downloads if you want to re-download it.

Sorry for the confusion. I think the plans are lots clearer now!

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                  X