Middle of the Year break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle of the Year break?

I will be starting my oldest in K this year. We are moving overseas in December, and our household goods will be shipped over by boat- which could take about 8 weeks for us to get them! I have the option of having the school items shipped with a smaller shipment of essentials, but even that will take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. I cannot see how it would be prudent for us to take off 4-8 weeks from school!
    Does anyone that has gone through the K program have ideas for me? What bare minimum of books/supplies should I take with me (checked on board our airplane for our overseas flight)? We can only have a certain number of checked bags, so I'm trying to figure out how to bring the least amount of school books while still keeping her in "school" mode for two months before our things arrive!

Yes, I realize it's still June and we have a ways to go before we move. Lol! I love planning early!

Re: Middle of the Year break?

When we moved back from overseas, the boxes we sent by boat ended up taking closer to 12 weeks to arrive. Personally, I would pack all currently used items in suitcases. I know how challenging that is when you also have clothes, toys, shoes and household supplies to bring, but that's what I would do. I would ship more toys and anything you can live without for a few months. When they finally arrive, it will be like the best Christmas morning ever to open all the boxes and be reunited with your belongings.
    I remember an overseas move that we did while using the K and 1 math book- that TM is huge! I was set against carting it with me, and decided to just take notes from all the lessons to save that weight. In the end, I really regretted not bringing it with me. In fact, whenever I have tried similar shortcuts, I have always wished I had just stuck to the entire set of materials.
    Believe me, I know, I KNOW, how crazy difficult that packing can be with the weight limits and a household of family needs to consider. But even if you have to pay for an extra bag or two, or additional weight, I personally think it is worth it to be well prepared and set up for success with all subjects. Talk to your husband and try to get him on board so that you can work together coming up with a plan to prioritize bringing curriculum on the plane. There may be other things you can ship in their place.
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

Comment

December strikes me as the perfect time in the curriculum for taking 2-3 weeks off and then easing back in. Many moms have gone through that "crisis mode" in a year (new baby, illness, job transfer, etc...), where you cover the basics until you can pick up the full curriculum again. There will be a lot to adjust to when you get there, and so many experiences for your kindergartener that will be even more educational than curriculum materials.
      I think the bare minimum you could bring with you would be the math workbook; a reasonably-sized, illustrated children's Bible; one anthology of children's fairy tales/nursery stories; and her First Start Reading workbook. By December you will be in the flow of how those lessons are laid out, so you can definitely wing it without the teacher's manual for several weeks. Do you need to bring lined paper, or can you get it there? You'd probably be bringing pencils and crayons anyway.
      I think it's great that you are planning early, because I'm sure you only have about ten thousand more details between now and December.
      Blessings,
      Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DD 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
      DD 23 College grad, married, employed.
      DS 20 Autistic, beautiful, unemployable.
      DS 17 HS grad. Twelve years of MP. Hopes to be a chess-playing priest.
      DS 15 Teaching me to give up the reins. Does MP work when not in ballet classes, at rehearsals, stretching or playing chess.
      DD 13 Nine years of MP. Chess player, marksman, WSJ fan.
      DS 11 Six years of MP. Chess player, ballet dancer, archer.
      DD 8 Four years of MP. Chess player, occasional dancer. Actually gets to write in the Student Guides.

Comment

When we moved overseas, my kids weren't school age yet, but my husband was going first and then a few weeks later I was flying alone with a 3 and 4 year old (I still get hives thinking about it!). I couldn't handle a lot of suitcases, but there were things we wanted to send early. My husband had been given a contact from his command that was helping us with move details. He gave us his address and we were able to mail a box directly to his APO/FPO address. It actually arrived fairly quickly and was waiting when my husband got there.

So, long story short, if there is a way you could mail something directly to a Point of Contact overseas, you may want to try that! It worked well for us.

Best wishes on your move!
        Tracy
        My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
        MP rising 6A, 5A, and MPK

Comment

Hi! You sound like me, stressing about a move months in advance. I am thinking you are military (like us) but if this doesn't apply, please ignore. No school work went in either pack-out. I loaded up three large flat-rate priority boxes and mailed them to our sponsor. (If you are under max weight, this expense can be included when you submit your moving paperwork.) I then bought the biggest rolling duffle that was carry-on approved for Math, Latin, and Lit. (And all those crazy things you must hand-carry!) We kept working through those subjects continuously.
          Natalie

DD, age 13: CC 7M, with a few swaps
          DD, age 10: CC 5M
          Third year using full MP CC, Forth year homeschooling

Comment

I don't know all the rules with MP. However, I wonder if as it gets closer to the move you couldn't scan to a drive/cloud a good bit of the workbooks, teacher books, and student guides to minimize the hard books you need to pack? It would be tedious, but could save space.
            Rae

DS12- SFL, Elem Greek II, CC III

Comment

Getting a PSC box early is excellent advice. You can mail yourself things. KNOW THAT MEDIA MAIL TAKES 12 WEEKS TO ARRIVE since it travels by boat, too. I suggest selecting a few suitcase subjects, a few mail-ahead subjects, and then wait on the rest until they arrive. After all, your child is a K'er. A few extra weeks may actually work on your favor as your child matures and adjusts.

I see you are in Germany now. Honestly, depending on your new location, and given that your child is so young, you might consider bringing some amazing read alouds (or use the base library!), some math flash cards, then just live the transition. The first time we moved to Japan was a major life adjustment. Like, first baby's birth sized adjustment. Like, 6-8 weeks of hotels, moving boxes, figuring out overseas military life, and figuring out how to not embarrass yourself off base. I hear you, that you are worried about how to adjust to this transition and to do the right thing by your child's education. However, in the bigger picture, I recommend planning for only the least you feel you must do for your child, then allow the process to roll out as it needs to. The first overseas move is a huge adjustment, but can be eased by a good sponsor and some good planning.

Good luck!

Jen
              DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 12 yrs, currently attending a classical school which would give HLS a run for its money.

All homeschooled.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Hello from another over planner!
                When we moved overseas nearly a year ago (not military) our girls were 4.5 and 5.5. We only brought 4 duffel bags with us, and had 2 more brought over by my MIL a few months later. Of the 4 duffels that came with us, 2 were mostly clothes, and the other 2 were mostly books, blankets, and stuffed animals/dolls/legos. Ours was a summer move, but as Jen in Japan said, the adjustment itself is enough "school" for a while. We lived out of those 4 duffel bags for 6 weeks, but once we got into our own apartment and got a table and beds, we wanted our school routine back. I would say, make a plan, but hold it loosely. If you need to take a 2 month break in the middle of K, do it. If you need to get back into a routine shortly after you arrive, do it. But know that either way you aren't hurting your child's education
                As for what to pack in the bags that will go on the plane with you...books and blankets. My husband rolled his eyes at vacuum packing the kids' quilts and shoving them in duffel bags, but when we finally made it to our first little room after 36 hours of flights, those quilts came out, then a few favorite read alouds, and then the kids were out like lights And 6 weeks later, when we finally got our own apartment, we busted out our Rod and Staff workbooks, and had a little summer school, just to bring some stability to our days and fill time until the rest of the curriculum arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Angela View Post
                  When we moved back from overseas, the boxes we sent by boat ended up taking closer to 12 weeks to arrive. Personally, I would pack all currently used items in suitcases. I know how challenging that is when you also have clothes, toys, shoes and household supplies to bring, but that's what I would do. I would ship more toys and anything you can live without for a few months. When they finally arrive, it will be like the best Christmas morning ever to open all the boxes and be reunited with your belongings.
                  I remember an overseas move that we did while using the K and 1 math book- that TM is huge! I was set against carting it with me, and decided to just take notes from all the lessons to save that weight. In the end, I really regretted not bringing it with me. In fact, whenever I have tried similar shortcuts, I have always wished I had just stuck to the entire set of materials.
                  Believe me, I know, I KNOW, how crazy difficult that packing can be with the weight limits and a household of family needs to consider. But even if you have to pay for an extra bag or two, or additional weight, I personally think it is worth it to be well prepared and set up for success with all subjects. Talk to your husband and try to get him on board so that you can work together coming up with a plan to prioritize bringing curriculum on the plane. There may be other things you can ship in their place.
                  I think this is where I'll be, and what I will end up doing. I want to take them all with me, but whew! It's A LOT of books! But I know I won't regret it. I will only need to bring half or a quarter of the read alouds. Or I could go to the library for them if needed and just ship with the household goods.
                  Thank you for your advice! Helps SO Much!

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
                    December strikes me as the perfect time in the curriculum for taking 2-3 weeks off and then easing back in. Many moms have gone through that "crisis mode" in a year (new baby, illness, job transfer, etc...), where you cover the basics until you can pick up the full curriculum again. There will be a lot to adjust to when you get there, and so many experiences for your kindergartener that will be even more educational than curriculum materials.
                    I think the bare minimum you could bring with you would be the math workbook; a reasonably-sized, illustrated children's Bible; one anthology of children's fairy tales/nursery stories; and her First Start Reading workbook. By December you will be in the flow of how those lessons are laid out, so you can definitely wing it without the teacher's manual for several weeks. Do you need to bring lined paper, or can you get it there? You'd probably be bringing pencils and crayons anyway.
                    I think it's great that you are planning early, because I'm sure you only have about ten thousand more details between now and December.
                    Blessings,
                    Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DD 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5

Thank you!!! We are moving from Germany back to the states, so finding supplies and things will be much easier. And I can use the libraries for the read aloud I'm thinking, even though I bought them. I'd rather ship than cart so many around with us! I will be in "crisis" mode for a few months starting in December. With the move, and I just found out I'm pregnant with our 4th and the baby will be due in February! YIKES! Moving at 30-ish weeks pregnant will be interesting, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaMom View Post
                      When we moved overseas, my kids weren't school age yet, but my husband was going first and then a few weeks later I was flying alone with a 3 and 4 year old (I still get hives thinking about it!). I couldn't handle a lot of suitcases, but there were things we wanted to send early. My husband had been given a contact from his command that was helping us with move details. He gave us his address and we were able to mail a box directly to his APO/FPO address. It actually arrived fairly quickly and was waiting when my husband got there.

So, long story short, if there is a way you could mail something directly to a Point of Contact overseas, you may want to try that! It worked well for us.

Best wishes on your move!

Anyone traveling with little ones by themselves is my HERO. Whew.
                      Since we are moving from Germany to the states, I'm not sure we will have the option to open a mail box at his duty station to ship things too. I would like to ship things early, but I don't know how to do that without it costing a pretty penny! I may just have to take the hit and extend our "break" for a while- or just grow another arm to take a separate suitcase just for school

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie0411 View Post
                        Hi! You sound like me, stressing about a move months in advance. I am thinking you are military (like us) but if this doesn't apply, please ignore. No school work went in either pack-out. I loaded up three large flat-rate priority boxes and mailed them to our sponsor. (If you are under max weight, this expense can be included when you submit your moving paperwork.) I then bought the biggest rolling duffle that was carry-on approved for Math, Latin, and Lit. (And all those crazy things you must hand-carry!) We kept working through those subjects continuously.

Yes, military! We are moving from Germany to the states, and I'm not sure if we will be able to open a APO in advance to send boxes too, like we did moving here. But I could be wrong! That would be awesome if we had that possibility! We had another (happy) stressor thrown our way- we found out I'm pregnant with #4 this weekend! But alas, the baby will be due beginning of February...so I will be hugely pregnant at the time of the move, and the pressure to find a house and get settled in will be immense! And what if our household goods aren't here by the time baby arrives?! Thankfully, babies don't need much, I'll just have to carry a few newborn outfits and a pack n' play with us in the airplane. Whew. Lol!!!!! School may have to be put on the back-burner this year. She is young K-er so it won't be an issue at all, but I just don't want her to "lose" everything she has learned up until then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
                          Getting a PSC box early is excellent advice. You can mail yourself things. KNOW THAT MEDIA MAIL TAKES 12 WEEKS TO ARRIVE since it travels by boat, too. I suggest selecting a few suitcase subjects, a few mail-ahead subjects, and then wait on the rest until they arrive. After all, your child is a K'er. A few extra weeks may actually work on your favor as your child matures and adjusts.

I see you are in Germany now. Honestly, depending on your new location, and given that your child is so young, you might consider bringing some amazing read alouds (or use the base library!), some math flash cards, then just live the transition. The first time we moved to Japan was a major life adjustment. Like, first baby's birth sized adjustment. Like, 6-8 weeks of hotels, moving boxes, figuring out overseas military life, and figuring out how to not embarrass yourself off base. I hear you, that you are worried about how to adjust to this transition and to do the right thing by your child's education. However, in the bigger picture, I recommend planning for only the least you feel you must do for your child, then allow the process to roll out as it needs to. The first overseas move is a huge adjustment, but can be eased by a good sponsor and some good planning.

Good luck!

Jen

I think I will definitely have to use the base library, that is great advice! I can avoid carrying the read aloud with us and just save them for our ever-growing bookshelf We are due for baby #4 in February, so we can add another adjustment to the table. That, and my husband will be leaving about 2 weeks after we move for a 3-month training! Gah! School may have to be but on the back-burner with all these major life events happening over a few months in 2018, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by alihuyoung View Post
                            Hello from another over planner!
                            When we moved overseas nearly a year ago (not military) our girls were 4.5 and 5.5. We only brought 4 duffel bags with us, and had 2 more brought over by my MIL a few months later. Of the 4 duffels that came with us, 2 were mostly clothes, and the other 2 were mostly books, blankets, and stuffed animals/dolls/legos. Ours was a summer move, but as Jen in Japan said, the adjustment itself is enough "school" for a while. We lived out of those 4 duffel bags for 6 weeks, but once we got into our own apartment and got a table and beds, we wanted our school routine back. I would say, make a plan, but hold it loosely. If you need to take a 2 month break in the middle of K, do it. If you need to get back into a routine shortly after you arrive, do it. But know that either way you aren't hurting your child's education
                            As for what to pack in the bags that will go on the plane with you...books and blankets. My husband rolled his eyes at vacuum packing the kids' quilts and shoving them in duffel bags, but when we finally made it to our first little room after 36 hours of flights, those quilts came out, then a few favorite read alouds, and then the kids were out like lights And 6 weeks later, when we finally got our own apartment, we busted out our Rod and Staff workbooks, and had a little summer school, just to bring some stability to our days and fill time until the rest of the curriculum arrived.

Vacuum packing is a GREAT idea! I love having plans, so I have no surprises or extra stress. But, as is ALWAYS the case, plans never go as "planned". LOL! Trying to keep an open mind.......haha.

Comment

Working...
                            X