OT: fascinating interview on Surprised by Beauty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: fascinating interview on Surprised by Beauty

I just thought I would share this excellent interview. Has anyone read the book?

https://www.mercatornet.com/features...the-soul/19873
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Re: OT: fascinating interview on Surprised by Beauty

Maria,

Thank you for sharing that! I haven't read the book but find the topic of music both fascinating and intimidating. I try to have my children listen to good music because I don't think I was exposed to enough of it as a child. I actually did not enjoy classical music hardly at all before the last year or two. This homeschooling journey has been life changing already and I'm only a couple of years in.

Emily
    2019-20
    DS--9, 3M/4M
    DD--7, mix of 1 and 2
    DD--5, MP K
    DS--3
    DS--1

Comment

So glad you enjoyed it- as a former music teacher I strongly support your efforts to have your children listen to music that has lasting value. One of the biggest reasons our culture has thrown music away, is simply because we never listened to anything but "twaddle" as children, which means that our ears were never properly trained to recognize form and harmony when we hear it. The more you and your kids listen, the less intimidated and the more enthralled you will become. Repetitive listening is the way to go- listen the same thing, over and over again, and eventually it will sound more and more amazing to you. Keep adding things to your listening repertoire, and you will fall in love.
      DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

On this "note," (ha!) my dad recently gave me a book titled, "The Power of Music," by Elena Mannes. It is on the power music has to actually affect us, not just because we appreciate it. I have not read it yet, but he said it was fascinating. I hope to make it a summer read - with everything else piling up for summer!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Oooo- that one sounds good- Maybe I'll have to add it to the book pile in my mind that is getting ever larger...
          Last edited by Girlnumber20; 06-02-2017, 01:33 PM.
          DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
            Repetitive listening is the way to go- listen the same thing, over and over again, and eventually it will sound more and more amazing to you. Keep adding things to your listening repertoire, and you will fall in love.
            What great, yet simple, advice! It's so easy to NOT keep listening to something that I don't already enjoy.
            2019-20
            DS--9, 3M/4M
            DD--7, mix of 1 and 2
            DD--5, MP K
            DS--3
            DS--1

Comment

It's just 14 year-old me giving advice. I learned to love classical music as a teen. I watched this old movie musical called "An American in Paris." In it, Oscar Levant plays the Concerto in F by Gershwin. The first time I heard that piece I was really intrigued, for some reason. I got hooked. I begged my parents for a recording of it and listened to it about 10,000 times. Then my sister gave me a birthday present of all the works of Gershwin, on records. (I'm dating myself here.) I listened to everything Gershwin ever wrote about ten million times. From there I moved on to Mozart's Clarinet Quintet in A. The soundtrack from "Amadeus" was next. I never watched the movie, but fell in love with the soundtrack. We moved around a lot as a teen and I would park myself in the back of our old station wagon full of boxes and plug myself into my headphones and tape player- and listen to Mozart's Clarinet Quintet in A. Ah, those headphones were transporting...
              DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Maria,
                I am going to shamelessly name drop here...but have you ever heard of Kevin Cole?

If you have, he's my mom's cousin. If you haven't, you need to look him up. And then think it's really cool that he's my mom's cousin.

(And I totally don't know how that makes us...first cousin once removed? Second cousin??)
                AMDG,
                Sarah
                Last edited by KF2000; 06-04-2017, 09:54 PM.
                2020-2021
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 8
                DD, 6
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

Is it this Kevin Cole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lR7jqYx22g
                  DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

no it has to be this one! he is amazing!

Either one would have made me think you are cool. (But I thought that anyway
                    DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
                      no it has to be this one! he is amazing!

Either one would have made me think you are cool. (But I thought that anyway
                      Yes, THIS Kevin Cole! Gershwin' family has heard him play, and has said he plays Gershwin the way Gershwin played Gershwin...which is instinctual rather than as written. My mom has such fun stories about growing up with him. I am still hoping we can be close enough to meet him someday. Thought you would like that!

And thanks for the compliment...the feeling is mutual!

BTW...whoever that other KC is, that interview looks fascinating! I will have to carve out a couple of hours (argh!) to watch it!

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      DS, 16
                      DD, 14
                      DD, 12
                      DD, 10
                      DD, 8
                      DD, 6
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

I thought it was so funny that the first Kevin Cole I googled came up as an interesting interview about his research into the Trivium. weird! (hums twilight zone music)
                        DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Yes, I thought that was really weird too- totally off-topic....yet, not....

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2020-2021
                          DS, 16
                          DD, 14
                          DD, 12
                          DD, 10
                          DD, 8
                          DD, 6
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

"Gershwin's family has heard him play, and has said he plays Gershwin the way Gershwin played Gershwin...which is instinctual rather than as written. My mom has such fun stories about growing up with him. I am still hoping we can be close enough to meet him someday. Thought you would like that!"

This is actually the first thing that struck me about his playing- the first thing I thought when I heard it was "Oh my goodness- it sounds exactly my old record recording of "The Piano Rolls" -on this recording you could actually hear Gershwin playing his own music. It sounds like your cousin. So nostalgic for me...<3
                            DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

I'll going to have to find this book because he mentions one if my favorites! I love Lauridsen's melodies. His songs sound so old.

Quote:
                              Here’s a suggestion from our own time. The single most performed American composer of choral music is Morten Lauridsen. Listen to his Lux aeterna and you will discover why. - See more at: https://www.mercatornet.com/mobile/v....Dw6GY260.dpuf
                              Festina lentē,
                              Jessica P

2020-2021
                              11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                              @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
                              X