English Grammar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Grammar

We will begin homeschooling for the first time this fall with a 3rd and 4th grader. We are ready to move into Latina Christiana with both of them. For those who use English Grammar Recitation with Latin, is the Grammar Recitation enough? Also, English Grammar Recitation 1 is supposed to go with Latina Christiana, but the Grammar seems a bit easy for my 4th grader. Do you always pair these two together or should I move to Grammar Recitation 2 for him along with LC1? Lastly, does the Grammar Recitation teach sentence diagraming? I cannot get my hands on the actual books to see and there is not much of a sample online.

Thanks!

Re: English Grammar

Originally posted by Nikkirxd View Post
    We will begin homeschooling for the first time this fall with a 3rd and 4th grader. We are ready to move into Latina Christiana with both of them. For those who use English Grammar Recitation with Latin, is the Grammar Recitation enough? Also, English Grammar Recitation 1 is supposed to go with Latina Christiana, but the Grammar seems a bit easy for my 4th grader. Do you always pair these two together or should I move to Grammar Recitation 2 for him along with LC1? Lastly, does the Grammar Recitation teach sentence diagraming? I cannot get my hands on the actual books to see and there is not much of a sample online.

Thanks!

EGR has been enough for us, but some children do need extra practice (I think my 5th grader will be one of them) so they have added Core Skills Language Arts to the core packages as a supplement to use if needed (it's not scheduled in the lesson plans yet).

Diagramming is started in First Form Latin.

You don't have to use LC with EGR I. If he's truly mastered the grammar rules from EGR I, you could certainly move on to EGR II. The only downside is that he will get his first introduction to more difficult concepts in English rather than in Latin (it's easier to learn grammar in a language other than your own, especially when it's an inflected language). Learning them in Latin first (First Form) kept my boys from panicking when they ran into it in EGR II.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Comment

The grammar is pretty basic in EGR 1 and there is no diagramming. I believe diagramming starts a bit in EGR 2 with quite a bit in EGR 3. I would just stick with EGR1 as you will have plenty to keep you busy your first year.
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Agreeing with the above! and: what grammar has your 4th grader had?
        Ana, mama to
        ds A, 13yo
        ds N, 8yo

Comment

We just finished EGR 4 and there is a lot of intense diagramming with verbal phrases.
          EGR 1 is very easy and seems slow but EGR gets pretty intense in later levels. It is enough if you also complete the four Forms.
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
          DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
          DS, 21, chemistry major
          DS, 18, Physics major
          DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
          DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
          DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
            We just finished EGR 4 and there is a lot of intense diagramming with verbal phrases.
            EGR 1 is very easy and seems slow but EGR gets pretty intense in later levels. It is enough if you also complete the four Forms.
            This is so true! I was thinking if the child had done a good deal of diagramming in, say, First Language Lessons, then the child could move a year ahead with no trouble.

With my older one, we've ended up keeping the grammar on pace with our Latin, and the grammar is often super easy for him (we did a lot of grammar before switching) but the rest of his school is hard enough that I'm okay with that! I do sometimes wish there were more of bits of it (like colons; the uses of colons in EGR is very restricted, I think just for time and Bible verses) but am happy with the overall education, and do not want to add anything unnecessary!
            Ana, mama to
            ds A, 13yo
            ds N, 8yo

Comment

Yes- my biggest complaint is lack of complete punctuation instruction! The grammar they get in Latin. It is nice to have a bit of overlap into English but my kids really need more detailed guidance on punctuation especially commas.
              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
              DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
              DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
              DS, 21, chemistry major
              DS, 18, Physics major
              DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
              DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
              DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Thanks everyone! These responses are helpful. Honestly, I don't know what grammar "program" he is currently using. He has worksheets coming home from his Catholic school and it just seems that he is pretty good at the concepts covered in EGR1 already. That being said, since this is our first year homeschooling, we need some easy wins at the beginning so we don't overdo it. It sounds like the EGR series progresses quite well, so I think we will try the EGR1 plus Latin and not add anything extra right now.

Comment

In that case, it sounds like a great idea to take grammar as an "easy win"! Honestly, my older child's challenge with the grammar is more writing neatly + being careful than anything conceptual, and that is okay with me.

Hugs & congratulations around your start to homeschooling! and blessings to you & yours.
                  Ana, mama to
                  ds A, 13yo
                  ds N, 8yo

Comment

Working...
                  X