How long does a typical day take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does a typical day take?

We will have a kindergartner, 3rd grader & 5th grader. How long does it typically take for each of these grades? I emailed MP to ask a few questions including this one, & they said 1 1/2-2 hrs for K, 3-4 hrs for 3rd & 5th. Is that typical? 4 hours is more than my 3rd & 5th grader are used to. Just wanted to see if this is the norm for you guys?
    Lutheran (LCMS) Mom to 4:

2017-2018
    DD (10 yo)- MP 5th
    DD (8 yo)- MP 3rd
    DS (6 yo)- MP K
    DS (3 yo)- Just getting read to & hopefully picking up something from the olders!

Re: How long does a typical day take?

I would say yes, but do not be alarmed by that. Much of that is flexing between things that your older ones can do independently, and things that you do with them. So I would consider that with your three, that would be about 5 hours total for your whole school day - everyone included. There is a lot of rotating between people that happens so that work is getting done concurrently. And ease yourself in - start out your year doing a half schedule for a few weeks so that you can get the hang of things. There will be a lot of questions in the beginning, and you will want to be able to answer all of them (or look them up!) without feeling pressed to get done by a certain time of day. Then as you get comfortable, your day will naturally speed up. And welcome!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KDOCK5 View Post
      We will have a kindergartner, 3rd grader & 5th grader. How long does it typically take for each of these grades? I emailed MP to ask a few questions including this one, & they said 1 1/2-2 hrs for K, 3-4 hrs for 3rd & 5th. Is that typical? 4 hours is more than my 3rd & 5th grader are used to. Just wanted to see if this is the norm for you guys?
      It really depends on the child, but these are generally accurate from everything I have heard from other families. 1-1/2 is what I see mentioned most often for families with Kindergarteners and that has held true for us this year. My 4th grader works well independently (and we were using a different math program) so he only takes about an hour a day; but keep in mind that all of his lessons (i.e., Mom instruction) are done in 4 hours between Sunday (Christian Studies) and Monday (MP co-op). If those lessons were being interspersed throughout our week, his daily time would be higher. Again, he is a highly independent worker now. At the beginning of the year, when we were getting used to MP, he definitely took closer to 2 hours or more per day.

So in a nutshell, instruction for 4th grade for New Users (pretty much the same as 3A) is about 4 hours per week. Student work time (and how much Mom will need to be involved with that) will vary based on the speed, background, temperament and independence level of the individual child.
      Last edited by jen1134; 05-01-2017, 03:37 PM.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
      DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD10: SC3
      DD7: MPK

Comment

I actually had a Jr. K'er, 3rd and 5th grader last year and the times they gave you are pretty spot-on. Remember, though, that this includes time spent reading aloud, presenting lessons and for the kiddos to finish up any independent work. You won't be spending four solid hours lecturing your children and they won't be sitting for four solid hours doing nothing but writing. Instead, you'll spend some time reading a chapter or two from your read-aloud selections, you'll present any new material for various subjects (as needed), you may do some discussion questions or some "together" work and your kids will do some independent work, as well.

In our house, my kids are pretty independent with math, spelling and Latin (I present the new lesson each Monday for Latin and the rest of the week, the kids know to complete the next page in that week's lesson, which all ties in to the info presented at the beginning of the week). We do composition, EGR, Famous Men, Science and Christian Studies together. This is easier than it sounds, as the FM series, science and CS each have one big lesson per week, with review built in all week long. Other families do things differently - it all depends on what your children's needs are.

Also, I combined my oldest two for Christian Studies, composition and EGR because I didn't want my oldest (then 5th grade) to miss out or have any holes in her education. We had been using MP materials for some time but only came to full cores last year. This eases my burden a bit and *may* be something that would work for you.

Lastly, while my Bigs are doing their "alone" work in the morning, I work with my little one. We do our "together" work (phonics, reading, math) and then I can give her little assignments (drawing, tracing and coloring that's assigned for the day) that she can complete on her own when her older brother + sister need to do some "together" work with me. My little one sits in on our read-alouds, Christian Studies and history lessons, though. She really likes that!

What program are you coming from? What does a typical day look like for you? Knowing these things, we can give you even more helpful advice. Be encouraged that it is not nearly as intensive as it sounds! <3

ETA: I was typing at the same time as Sarah & Jen! My apologies if I repeated anything.
        Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Right now we are using Sonlight 4-day program. I have posted before about it, but we have pretty much abandoned it besides read a louds for various reasons. So.....I have pieced together stuff. We are using Teaching Textbooks Math, Essentials in Writing, Spelling Power for oldest & All About Spelling for 2nd oldest, Life of Fred, Math Review workbooks/ worksheets as needed, Daily Language Review, Daily Math Review, readers I have pieced together also (because they are through with the Sonlight readers for the year), oh also for the 2nd grader Wordly Wise & Explode the Code, xtra math. For the almost kindergartner I am doing Sonlight 4/5 & All About Reading Pre Reading. We work on the Small Catechism memorization throughout the week also. I have really slacked on science, although I love science. We just haven't found a curriculum that we have stuck with yet (we have Apologia Botany & Science in the Beginning we have done some lessons out of). Oh, & we also have a 3 yo who just hangs out for reading & plays! Whew....just typing all that out exhausts me a bit ha. I am ready for a more structured curriculum. I feel like I'm everywhere!

We prob spend about 45 min-1 hr/day on the 5 yo at this point. The older 2 (now 2nd & 4th grader) are prob 2 1/2-3 hrs/day. I think my will be 5th grader can handle 4 hrs/day if that's what it takes, but not sure my 8 yo can. We do school in the mornings, but I work 2 days a week from home & many times I will get the kids done before I start work (usually 10). So, if we switch to MP getting school done before 10 may be tough. But, my oldest is very independent & my 2nd oldest is getting that way.

And....I'm sure it will take me longer at first. We are not familiar with any of the programs in the full grade packages. A bit scary......

Thanks so much for all the info/ advice! I really need it!
          Lutheran (LCMS) Mom to 4:

2017-2018
          DD (10 yo)- MP 5th
          DD (8 yo)- MP 3rd
          DS (6 yo)- MP K
          DS (3 yo)- Just getting read to & hopefully picking up something from the olders!

Comment

You may find that many days don't actually take the full amount of time. Some of the content subjects are more time consuming than others. Science and Geography have been quicker for my dd than Classical and Christian Studies, so those days tend to be shorter. Also, some days the composition work is much simpler and requires less writing than other days. Same with Lit, same with grammar. I think expecting 4 hours/day is pretty realistic, but then there will be many times when you are done much earlier. Also, as you get into the lesson plans a bit the kids know what to expect and can do the work without as much explanation and discussion with you, which also speeds things up.

Comment

Right now we are using Sonlight 4-day program. I have posted before about it, but we have pretty much abandoned it besides read a louds for various reasons. So.....I have pieced together stuff. We are using Teaching Textbooks Math, Essentials in Writing, Spelling Power for oldest & All About Spelling for 2nd oldest, Life of Fred, Math Review workbooks/ worksheets as needed, Daily Language Review, Daily Math Review, readers I have pieced together also (because they are through with the Sonlight readers for the year), oh also for the 2nd grader Wordly Wise & Explode the Code, xtra math. For the almost kindergartner I am doing Sonlight 4/5 & All About Reading Pre Reading. We work on the Small Catechism memorization throughout the week also. I have really slacked on science, although I love science. We just haven't found a curriculum that we have stuck with yet (we have Apologia Botany & Science in the Beginning we have done some lessons out of). Oh, & we also have a 3 yo who just hangs out for reading & plays! Whew....just typing all that out exhausts me a bit ha. I am ready for a more structured curriculum. I feel like I'm everywhere!

We prob spend about 45 min-1 hr/day on the 5 yo at this point. The older 2 (now 2nd & 4th grader) are prob 2 1/2-3 hrs/day. I think my will be 5th grader can handle 4 hrs/day if that's what it takes, but not sure my 8 yo can. We do school in the mornings, but I work 2 days a week from home & many times I will get the kids done before I start work (usually 10). So, if we switch to MP getting school done before 10 may be tough. But, my oldest is very independent & my 2nd oldest is getting that way.

And....I'm sure it will take me longer at first. We are not familiar with any of the programs in the full grade packages. A bit scary......

Thanks so much for all the info/ advice! I really need it!
              I'm not sure what your 2 days that work on are, but I would definitely plan on Mondays being longer days. The curriculum guides are great for showing how much to do at a time, but you can re-arrange things to fit your schedule, once you know how it all works. Also, school doesn't have to happen between 8 and 3! If there needs to be literature read, it could be done with Dad at night, etc.

For the enrichment for the K'er, we actually combined the whole week into 2 days of enrichment, instead of something everyday. We did read the read aloud probably every day though and ask just a few questions (there are so many!) each day. Some weeks we only read it 3x. So, we did read aloud on Monday with the bulk of the questions (we did a separate poetry program so we did not do the MP poetry), talked about the art card and played the music. (then the art card was on display all week and we could talk about it). We did the actual K craft and culture/science/history/social studies (usually scheduled on Thursday/Friday) on a Saturday! (My husband works, so it was something to do!)

It is nice to have a guide to follow, but again, you can suit it to your schedule!
              Christine

(2022/2023)
              DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
              DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
              DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Working...
              X